Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking a break  (Read 777 times)

66scorer

• View Profile
Taking a break
« on: February 06, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »
Ok.  I am taking the test next week in Charleston.  Despite some serious studying my scores have hit a plateau and since my inital diagnostic, I have not dramatically improved: :-\

Diagnostic: 156
LSAT preptests (chronologically): 156, 157, 157, 160, 160, 156, 157, 157, 159

Right after the weekend that I got both of the 160's, I started spending even more time studying and testing.  I even took a PS weekend course. 

Also after the 160's, I took a couple of the tests (the 156 and 157 respectively) in the evening after teaching high school all day so I am not as disappointed in those scores as might seem apparent.

So...

I am thinking about putting the books away for the rest of this week in the hopes that the information in my head will gel, allowing me to score as high as possible on the actual test.

This feels like a fairly dangerous gambit, but with my minor improvements in the past two months of studying, I am thinking that the intellectual lay off may help.

Comments on my plan would be appreciated.
February '05 LSAT - 157
UGPA 3.11

"Why are we violent but not illiterate?
Because we are taught to read."
Colman McCarthy

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Taking a break
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 11:32:11 AM »
yes, take some time off.  even just a day or two might be helpful.  if taking the whole week off induces more anxiety than it relieves, take two days off and look at a prep test.  don't worry about doing the whole thing; maybe just a section or two under timed conditions.  if you've really been studying a lot, i suspect the break will allow all of the information in your head to come together, and your results on a couple practice sections will reflect this improvement.

is postponing the test until june an option?

good luck!

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 11:33:27 AM »
I'd take time off of studying...but I'd still do like 3 practice sections this week.  Not full tests, just a section.  Even after a long hard day of teaching, a 35 minute section is doable.  You may even find that being able to focus intently on just one section will help you with it.

66scorer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 11:40:20 AM »
yes, take some time off.  even just a day or two might be helpful.  if taking the whole week off induces more anxiety than it relieves, take two days off and look at a prep test.  don't worry about doing the whole thing; maybe just a section or two under timed conditions.  if you've really been studying a lot, i suspect the break will allow all of the information in your head to come together, and your results on a couple practice sections will reflect this improvement.

good luck!

Postponing is absolutely an option.  However, I am just not sure how much it would help me.  I have done most of the games in the prep tests (and all of the LGB) so I am running out of games that I have never seen before.  As well, I have cannibalized many of the other sections.  I don't want a backslide leading up to June.
February '05 LSAT - 157
UGPA 3.11

"Why are we violent but not illiterate?
Because we are taught to read."
Colman McCarthy

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 11:49:20 AM »
Postponing is absolutely an option.  However, I am just not sure how much it would help me.  I have done most of the games in the prep tests (and all of the LGB) so I am running out of games that I have never seen before.  As well, I have cannibalized many of the other sections. I don't want a backslide leading up to June.

i personally don't think going over tests you've already done is that detrimental.  yes, the results you get from retaking a prep-test won't be very indicative of what might happen on the real test, but if you really take your time and study the prep-tests, especially with the powerscore techniques in mind, you'll probably start seeing the things that lead to correct answers.  to me, it's better that you understand the overall frameworks that are used on the LSAT, rather than focus on specific questions.  really understanding why you got a specific question correct on a prep-test allows you to get similar, but unseen, questions correct on the actual LSAT.

it's a bit of a sad truth, but your LSAT score matters a lot.  if you are shooting for 160+ median schools, consider postponing.  if a score of 160+ gets you at the 75+ percentile range for your target schools (and your GPA doesn't hurt you), then you'll probably be ok taking the test next week.

dr_draino

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 11:53:19 AM »
What he said...I almost wish there was no way to know how well you're scoring on the preptests but could see the right answers...seeing the number values kinda psyched me out at times when I should ahve just been focusing on learning.  Spending LOTS of time with the test after you've taken it REALLY understanding why your selected answer was wrong is the key.

Postponing is absolutely an option.  However, I am just not sure how much it would help me.  I have done most of the games in the prep tests (and all of the LGB) so I am running out of games that I have never seen before.  As well, I have cannibalized many of the other sections. I don't want a backslide leading up to June.

i personally don't think going over tests you've already done is that detrimental.  yes, the results you get from retaking a prep-test won't be very indicative of what might happen on the real test, but if you really take your time and study the prep-tests, especially with the powerscore techniques in mind, you'll probably start seeing the things that lead to correct answers.  to me, it's better that you understand the overall frameworks that are used on the LSAT, rather than focus on specific questions.  really understanding why you got a specific question correct on a prep-test allows you to get similar, but unseen, questions correct on the actual LSAT.

it's a bit of a sad truth, but your LSAT score matters a lot.  if you are shooting for 160+ median schools, consider postponing.  if a score of 160+ gets you at the 75+ percentile range for your target schools (and your GPA doesn't hurt you), then you'll probably be ok taking the test next week.

jamestl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 12:02:28 PM »
I"m considering postponing the test unless i'm 90% satisfied that I'll reach a score I'm happy with next Sat and I suggest you do the same as well.

I think the "skills" you learn from the bibles and the tests will stay with you and as long as you spend some time every week/month going over the concepts and really try to apply to them at work or at school, you should have a better grasp of the concepts at the end.

And, as previously mentioned, a few points difference can mean going to a good school and a great school or $50k in scholarships...

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 05:26:31 PM »

good luck!

Postponing is absolutely an option.  However, I am just not sure how much it would help me.  I have done most of the games in the prep tests (and all of the LGB) so I am running out of games that I have never seen before.  As well, I have cannibalized many of the other sections.  I don't want a backslide leading up to June.

InVinoVeritas, if postponing is an option, you may want to seriously consider it. Postponing the test will give you 4 solid months to improve. Do you really believe that you will be unable to improve in those 4 months? If your answer is yes, that I'd say go ahead and take the test next week.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

bradzwest

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 05:39:51 PM »
I'm terrible on standardized tests...but I scored better (mid 150's) the time I put the whole thing aside for a week and cleared my head.  I'm an elementary school teacher.

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 05:53:57 PM »
Have you been keeping track of the number of hours you've studied?

Have you grouped together the answers you've gotten incorrect and looked for common ground among them, to see if there's a pattern to the types of question you fumble/the types of wrong answer that are likely to lure you?

I've seen data that suggests that initial studying gets you to your first "score plateau," and if you make it beyond around 150+ hours of study time, scores statistically start to jump again for most people.

best of luck,

Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com