Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For people who will take LSAT in June, What is your score now?  (Read 876 times)

Aurora

• Cutest Panda -- Tian Tian and Mei Xiang
    • View Profile
For people who will take LSAT in June, What is your score now?
« on: February 05, 2005, 10:59:34 PM »
Wondering what kind of progress people make on LSAT preptests. I took my first diag test in mid Jan and got 160, then 161, 158, 157. Then I went through most of the LGB and first 100 pages of LRB. Yesterday I couldn't resist to take another test, got 162.

How is everybody doing there?

Aurora

• View Profile
Re: For people who will take LSAT in June, What is your score now?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
I am in the opposite direction. LG is the one that I least worried about. I got 1~5 wrong in the practic test even before I read LGB. But My LR and RC sections are horrible. I don't have time finish them and got a lot wrong on them. Hopefully LRB will help me on the LR section. Don't know how to improve on RC yet. If anyone has good suggestions, pls let me know....

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 11:49:54 PM »
If anyone has good suggestions, pls let me know....

search the threads, it's all been asked and answered
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 12:39:54 AM »
Wondering what kind of progress people make on LSAT preptests. I took my first diag test in mid Jan and got 160, then 161, 158, 157. Then I went through most of the LGB and first 100 pages of LRB. Yesterday I couldn't resist to take another test, got 162.

How is everybody doing there?

I am taking the June test. I have taken diags for a while and have made my most significant improvements while not studying. That is to say, after I've taken a week or more off. I think just allowing myself to "digest" helps. However, I'm not suggesting you do the same.... unless of course you think it might help.

My current study plan consists for doing loosely timed preptests. My plan is to allow myself the 35 minutes or 40 minutes it takes to complete a section if that's how long it takes. My goal is to first get as many correct as possible before forcing the time limit. Sometimes I'll dominate a section... completing it in less than 30 minutes and other times I hit the 40 minute mark. I'll probably start timing more rigidly in March or so.

1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 08:55:10 PM »
I am in the opposite direction. LG is the one that I least worried about. I got 1~5 wrong in the practic test even before I read LGB. But My LR and RC sections are horrible. I don't have time finish them and got a lot wrong on them. Hopefully LRB will help me on the LR section. Don't know how to improve on RC yet. If anyone has good suggestions, pls let me know....

For RC, is it your reading speed? Are you reading the questions before you tackle the text? And, are you flipping through the reading sections to acknowledge the subject matter? For example, if you favor science texts, you should do those sections first, and leave for last the sections that have subject matter you are uncomfortable with.

Also, try this to speed up your reading time: draw a line or two vertically though your columns of text. Use a pencil. Now, when you read, instead of looking at every word, look at just the point where the lines cut the text, and read the text in "chunks." This will force you to read faster, and will also help your eyes not tire out--it's much more work to read 10 words across separately than to "pull in" the text by looking at designated points on the page.

When we're confronted with new material to read, our instinct is to read more slowly. That instinct is very wrong, and particularly so in a test situation. Our brains have a "happy speed" when reading, and if we drop too far below that point, our brains get bored, wander, and cease taking in information. Thus, slowing down doesn't serve any purpose but to waste time.

Take something you're comfortable reading, read it, time yourself a few times, and calculate to determine your "comfortable" words-per-minute reading speed. Now, when you do your LSAT prep, do what you can to read about that fast. Any slower won't help you--you'll be better off getting the gist of the passage, doing some underlining of key phrases, and then jumping back to the text as needed when answering questions.

Hope some of this is useful--

-Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 09:08:26 PM »
that was great advice...

I'm a fast reader...also interested in environmental law and L&C..:)

not so good with the grammar...
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Aurora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 11:52:54 PM »
Thanks Daniburhop for the suggestions. It is great advice. :D

I agree that the mind tend to slow down and wonder around when I try the RC section, sometimes I even find myself going back several lines immediately to repeat reading it to get the meaning of it. The mind just went blank when I read it the first time. I tried to use a pencil to speed up the reading by lightly drawing the line underneath...that does help to concentrate. I will see whether I can speed up the reading by using the vertical line. Guess I need all the help that I could get. English being a second language for me certainly didn't help :(

Number Two

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 11:56:06 PM »
I took some diagnostic tests but my scores are really wacky.  I average from 155 to 157.  

LR - ~3-4 wrong
RC - ~3-4 wrong
LG - ~20 wrong (NOT KIDDING)

I don't know if my score wili improve as my performance on LG improves.  I'm planning to take the Testmasters course which starts in April.  Until then, I'm doing the LGB and scratching my head.  I don't have a range yet.

P.S. - Guys, what do you think I should shoot for?  If I get 20+ right, how much of a boost will I get? THANKS! :-)

Number Two

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 12:08:38 AM »
I took some diagnostic tests but my scores are really wacky.  I average from 155 to 157. 

LR - ~3-4 wrong
RC - ~3-4 wrong
LG - ~20 wrong (NOT KIDDING)

I don't know if my score wili improve as my performance on LG improves.  I'm planning to take the Testmasters course which starts in April.  Until then, I'm doing the LGB and scratching my head.  I don't have a range yet.

P.S. - Guys, what do you think I should shoot for?  If I get 20+ right, how much of a boost will I get? THANKS! :-)

You have the potential to score VERY high.  I was a lost cause on LG at first, too.  I'm still not great, but I'm making progress.  Believe the hype:  it IS the easiest to improve on.

What do you mean by high because my GPA is on the low side? Also, if you don't mind sharing, what was your breakdown and how much have you improved? Did you take a prep course?

Aurora

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 12:18:25 AM »
dwjen,

I feel LG section is the easiest(is this an engineer thing??). I think the LGB plus A LOT of practice will get you a real good score. Just my feeling though because I did not need to work too much on it.

You are so good at RC and LR sections, what did you do to get there? Were you born with it?   ???

Hi, if there is anyone who made good progress on improving the LR and RC sections, please do share your experience. What helped MOST?

Thanks  ;D