Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Serious thread about DOWNY (I better not see this moved to the Hate Board)  (Read 721 times)

BLUTO

• View Profile
Hey listen up, it’s story time with BLUTO!

Many of you are basking in the glow of a DOWNY-less universe. Yeah I know what you’re up to- you think just because DOWNY is gone that everything is back to normal around here. The tyrant has been ousted, and tranquility will return to LSD. If you Coolies-Fuckers believe that, you might as well keep believing that guy who sleeps with your mom is your biological father! Ha, that’s another story- eyes on the prize. Back to the point, which is that LSD is just like Iraq- there’s lots of toolshed “reformers” (Hurley and his ilk) who think they can just arrive in a hostile territory (the Internet in general and LSD in specific) and transform it into some ridiculous utopia. It won’t work in Iraq and it won’t work on LSD. DOWNY was a hero, a god, to us trolls. His memory is stamped in our minds and his flames represent the hopes of trolls everywhere.

I will keep the vision of DOWNY alive and free from the oppressive reformers and occupiers.

A brief history of DOWNY’s pwn3rship of law school boards:

1.   DOWNY registers a year ago, begins posting. Soon he is the Lead Troll on LSD.

2.   Within a couple weeks DOWNY’s notoriety skyrockets. He is banned from the site by Andrew because of numerous complaints about him. A contingency of DOWNY supporters get his account reinstated.

3.   DOWNY continues to flame on for 6 months or so, receiving constant threats of being banned as well as threats on his life from other members. DOWNY ignores these.

4.   DOWNY launches a full-on assault on the www.4lawschool.com board. Within days, DOWNY’s account is deleted, the name “DOWNY” is banned from being registered BY ANYONE, and DOWNY’s IP is banned. However, to this day DOWNY is STILL discussed on that board all the time- there were 5 posts about him this week.

5.   DOWNY is “outed” by the mod at www.nontradlaw.net. His flames are STILL discussed on nontradlaw.net. In fact, there were 4 threads about DOWNY last week, which the mod deleted. This is interesting, as DOWNY has not posted on that site since he was banned two months ago.

6.   While DOWNY never made the plunge into XOXO, there have nonetheless been numerous discussions about DOWNY. Some posters who will remain nameless have even plagiarized DOWNY’s flames.

7.   DOWNY joins the LSD students/graduates board. Within three days he is threatened with a ban. DOWNY keeps his cool and continues to rock. Within a couple months, DOWNY has the LOWEST POPULARITY RATING IN THE HISTORY OF THE BOARD, at -145. The closest competitor to this feat is JeffJoe, who is at -77, mostly due to DOWNY constantly defaming him. These numbers are significant: there must be a 3 hour space between every karma action- this means that a rating of -177 = 531 hours to defame DOWNY to his present ranking. This negative number may never be defeated.

8.   DOWNY runs JeffJoe off the students/graduate board of LSD by calculating NSL GPA/LSAT ranges and determining that someone with a 125 LSAT could be admitted. This thread was later copied onto XOXO by a regular poster.

9.   DOWNY uses a proxy server to make fake law school reviews and posts them on 4lawschool.com. The reviews included titles such as “Yale is a third tier toilet” and “Cooley sucks and DOWNY pimps your mom.” The admin deletes them and bans more IP addresses of DOWNY.

To this day, DOWNY’s fame is boundless. A search for the name “DOWNY” on LSD.com yields 34 pages. More than 50 troll accounts have been made to go after DOWNY on this site alone. DOWNY has been banned from all 3 of the sites he posted on. DOWNY is continually obsessed over on boards he hasn’t posted on in several months. Other trolls, no matter how skilled, have not come close to this level of fame. DOWNY is probably the most imitated troll in the history of Internet discussion boards. There are now DOWNY imitators on LSD, XOXO, 4lawschool and even www.lawschoolnumbers.com.

Perhaps the brilliance of DOWNY's approach to trolling is what set him apart. DOWNY flames were never racist or too offensive. No other poster in the last several years has been able to achieve DOWNY's status in trolling- even the racist flames fade quickly. DOWNY's flames are also unique in that he has provoked an ARMY of supporters as well as haters- yet in making fake accounts to troll him, the imitators seem to only further his notoriety. One cannot but wonder if this was DOWNY's strategy the entire time- to enlist his enemies in spreading his fame.

DOWNY may very well be the most famous troll in history. He is the standard by which other trolls aspire. A DOWNY flame is the industry standard, and for that we miss him.

DOWNY PWNS YOU. SERIOUSLY.

TUNA

• View Profile
Re: Serious thread about DOWNY (I better not see this moved to the Hate Board)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 03:55:04 PM »
Nice tribute BLUTO.

But you forgot two things:

1. DOWNY was the number 3 or 4 topic starter, with over 125 threads.

2. DowneySlayer is an enduring tribute to DOWNY's memory.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Serious thread about DOWNY (I better not see this moved to the Hate Board)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 10:41:24 PM »
I'm a registered DOWNY for moderator supporter. But I have to say that isn't it likely that some troll a site like slashdot is more famous than DOWNY? There are at least one or two troll groups that I can think of that could be famous-er than DOWNY. but DOWNY still pwnz.

Also, DOWNY wasn't strictly a troll. He was a participating member of the community. I think of a troll as being more devoted to disruption of discussion...doing things like using proxies to post tubgirl.jpg all over the site.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon