Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: second tier vs third tier  (Read 10142 times)

kadloo

second tier vs third tier
« on: August 02, 2001, 05:44:45 PM »
Obviously third tier law schools aren't as good as second tier, but since they're listed in alphabetical order, it's hard to see which schools are almost first tier and which are almost third tier.  Does this confuse anyone else?  What if I go to a "second tier" school but it drops down to the third tier?  I guess what I'm asking is, are the second tier school of similar quality?

J Knight

Re: second tier vs third tier
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2002, 03:44:09 AM »
You know, we will probably only have the opportunity to go to one or two law schools in our life.  I think the criteria for 2nd and 3rd tier question should be directed to USNEWS.  I got into a school that was 1st tier when I started the process and was 2nd Tier the next year.  How much could change about a school in a year?  I think the whole rating thing is an attempt to sell magazines, anyway.

Just MHO.

wrt

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 02:16:08 PM »
Hey--just thought I would send this out as food for thought.

Drake in Des Moines Iowa is a third tier law school, and to many would consider it second rate due to the usn rankings.
I have spoken to many people who have attended that school and they have offered some interesting insight countering its low ranking.  For a low ranked school, Drake has one of the highest rated debate teams in the nation, competing and beating teams from harvard and yale law schools.  also, drake has a hands-on practicum workshop included in its freshman curriculum--I have heard stories of Drake students excelling in internships alongside students of higher ranked schools b/c they know the ropes of drafting legal documents and more.  Drake grads command high salaries and are prized in all midwestern cities, not just des moines.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we need to take usn rankings with a grain of salt, and that they definitely do not always indicate quality of education.

frank6439

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 07:00:26 PM »
How does a shcool like University of Denver maintain it's second tier ranking year after year in the USN rankings?  It's numbers look more like tier 3 than tier 2.  I know there are other factors in play, but it still seems like an anomoly.

Also, how has University of Seattle managed to climb from tier 4 to tier 2 in I think it was three or four years?   That seems like quite a meteoric rise without a substantial increase in their numberical stats.  Anyone have any insight into either of these schools?

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 01:46:43 PM »
Don't be so obsessed with tier.  Just go to the law school that you think will provide you with the best education, whether it be Tier 1 or 4.  Do not let the editors of U.S. News navigate your moves.  These rankings don't mean much.  Most of it is political.  Keep an open mind and visit numerous schools, without regard to Tier.  You'll be alot happier.

Ichabod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 10:37:46 AM »
I just took a tour of Washburn in Topeka. Its 3rd tier, but it blows away the Univ. of Kansas. Its facilities are so nice and over the summer they are renovating all the lecture halls to make them better.

Screw the rankings. I'm going to Washburn over 2nd tier KU.

Obviously in Kansas the rankings don't matter because the KS Supreme Court are all Washburn grads except for one guy and he's from an out of state school.

sagemenscircle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 05:23:56 PM »
I agree with the general tone of the above remarks, there are plenty of decent Tier 2 and Tier 3 schools out there. Remember location is about as important as ranking-employers like to hire attorneys from their old alma mater. Or at least local. Take the USNWR rankings with a grain of salt but remember that a lot of other people take them as gospel. Still, I say go with the (local) school you like best. Also, there is less difference between Tier 2 and Tier 3 than there is between Tier 1 and Tier 2, probably. And even less difference between Tier 3 and Tier 4.
"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae"
Every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Appius Claudius

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 04:33:15 PM »
Don't be so obsessed with tier.  Just go to the law school that you think will provide you with the best education, whether it be Tier 1 or 4.  Do not let the editors of U.S. News navigate your moves.  These rankings don't mean much.  Most of it is political.  Keep an open mind and visit numerous schools, without regard to Tier.  You'll be alot happier.

I couldn't agree more. There are so many more factors to consider than the tier of the school.

If you want to practice in a certain area, such as close to home, etc., look at the local law schools, regardless of their tier. The closer the school is to the region you'd like to practice in, the better the reputation the school has in the area.

Also, everyone gets so hung up on tiers and forgets a few major points.  So you go to tier 1 school. Unless you can manage the top 10% of your graduating class, it doesn't matter.  You need to get involved in activities including moot court, law review, etc., activities that are available at all law schools.  The percentage you graduated in your class as well as your activities are extremely important. That's what's going to shine after law school.

Karen W.