Law School Discussion

Hofstra

140am

• View Profile
Re: Hofstra
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 07:49:20 AM »
It's the very developed suburban area east of New York City. Hofstra is about 25 minutes from Manhattan, so it's in an exciting enough location, if you consider the overall area.

Not true at all.  It takes you at least an hour by train (LIRR) from Hempstead into Manhattan.  Driving, you can make into the City in 45 minutes with no traffic (which is maybe 20% of the time, max).  25 minutes might get you into eastern Queens (which would technically count as NYC).

My bad :)

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2005, 09:40:07 PM »
hey, did you get in? I just got wait-listed as well. 3.3 gpa, crappy 142 last, and an from columbia m.a.

naomi288

• soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 06:07:14 AM »
matesky, schools don't usually start taking people off of the WL at leat until after the first deposit is due, usually april 1st

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2005, 09:02:45 AM »
I think it is going to be a long few months for those of us on the WL. I checked the box letting them know that they could let me know through orientation. I hope to hell I do not have to wait that long, but since I really want to go there and they know it, they will probably hold out on me to the very end.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 09:41:22 PM »
I got wait listed to Hofstra about three weeks ago.  It was my first wait list letter.  Since, I've been waited to NYSL, Albany, and Syracuse.  So, I'm wait listed to four schools in New York.  Should I keep my hopes up, that I will get off one of them?  And, if I do get offered a seat, with competition in New York, is the tuition worth it? Can I be assured a job upon graduation? This wait list thing sucks.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 10:49:11 PM »
I got wait listed to Hofstra about three weeks ago. It was my first wait list letter. Since, I've been waited to NYSL, Albany, and Syracuse. So, I'm wait listed to four schools in New York. Should I keep my hopes up, that I will get off one of them? And, if I do get offered a seat, with competition in New York, is the tuition worth it? Can I be assured a job upon graduation? This wait list thing sucks.

No one school can guarantee a job upon graduation, especially in this economy.  I don't believe any school has a 100% placement rate at 9 months much less upon graduation. 

None of those schools are very competitive in the NYC market.  That isn't to say that you can't get a job there, but generally you will have to rank higher in your class to be considered.   

I believe that Hofstra usually does end up pulling from their waitlist (usually as a result of one of their own students getting pulled off of someone else's).