Law School Discussion

Hofstra

carlsonjd

Re: Hofstra
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 08:07:03 AM »
What does that mean "not the greatest area?"  High crime?  If so, hopefully it makes the area less expensive to live in, cutting down living costs.

legalkitty

• The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 10:00:42 AM »
Hey,

I'm interested in Hofstra as well. I'm from MD, and have no idea what Long Island is like except I hear its a pretty expensive place to live. Does anyone have any other info on the area?

It's the very developed suburban area east of New York City.  Hofstra is about 25 minutes from Manhattan, so it's in an exciting enough location, if you consider the overall area.  Long Islanders are a lot like New Yorkers, many of them have spent part of their life having lived in the city, so you're giong to end up with the same attitudes.  That's OK for some people, but keep in mind that a lot of people around the country don't like the New York attitude, which really is different than the attitude in other cities.  It's definitely a confidence/bravado, which is great, but can be annoying sometimes, too.  I like it up there but it's not for everyone.  Go up there, talk to people who attend, see the area, talk to people working at businesses.  If you aren't familiar with NYC and its culture, just make sure you know what's up, that's all.

I think that New Yorkers get a bad rep that they really don't deserve. I went to school in NY and most of my friends are from there, including LI. I think it's just that New Yorkers mind their own business (as opposed to many small towns where everyone wants to know everything about you), but if you need help or introduce yourself, most are nice and genuine. Of course, there are jerks everywhere, but I wouldn't say that NY as a higher amount than most places.

Also, Hofstra not being in the best part of LI is good for two reasons--one, it is closer to NYC than most of the nicer parts, and 2, nice sections of LI, like the famous Hamptons, are ridiculously expensive. Good luck to all!! :)

guy

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 11:14:42 AM »
Hofstra is not in a bad area. I'm looking at the Hofstra dorms out of office window right now...I think that is amusing. Some neighborhoods near the campus are not great (crime, poverty, gangs) but Hofstra is a stone's throw away from Garden City, Rockville Centre, etc.  These areas are very, very nice.  Also, housing will not be cheap by any means.  You will be lucky to find an apartment for under 1000/month. In any event, kevdog is right about Hofstra's placement, they do well on LI and ok in the city...except their career office is not the best.

cam108

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 08:50:25 PM »
just curious, but how is life on Long Island? I mean is it like  a small city? or more in the 'burbs?? how is the job market there? sorry i dont know much about new york. I mean is it comparable to washington d.c. or baltimore?

naomi288

• soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 09:21:50 PM »
living on long island is living in the suburbs...but not that bad, i mean there is still a lot of stuff around, you won't find much land that isn't developed, unless u live by me in eastern suffolk where there is still a farm here or there

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 07:12:46 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  I'm thinking it won't be pertinent since I'm waitlisted and may not be accepted at the end of the day, but thanks, nonetheless.

I think the NY attitude gets a bad rep, too.  It's not an in-your-face kind of thing; it's more like an incorrectly perceived rudeness that stems from minding one's own business due to the overall pace of life up there.

legalkitty

• The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 08:28:50 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  I'm thinking it won't be pertinent since I'm waitlisted and may not be accepted at the end of the day, but thanks, nonetheless.

I think the NY attitude gets a bad rep, too.  It's not an in-your-face kind of thing; it's more like an incorrectly perceived rudeness that stems from minding one's own business due to the overall pace of life up there.

Well said! :) I guess you and I are New Yorkers (at least in spirit, in my case, anyway!)

Oneof2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 10:53:27 AM »
Also waitlisted at Hofstra. My mom called me yesterday to tell me. 

I'll be withdrawing my application today. 

Kevdog, Good luck to you.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 02:06:19 PM »
It's the very developed suburban area east of New York City. Hofstra is about 25 minutes from Manhattan, so it's in an exciting enough location, if you consider the overall area.

Not true at all.  It takes you at least an hour by train (LIRR) from Hempstead into Manhattan.  Driving, you can make into the City in 45 minutes with no traffic (which is maybe 20% of the time, max).  25 minutes might get you into eastern Queens (which would technically count as NYC).

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 07:46:16 AM »

Well said! :) I guess you and I are New Yorkers (at least in spirit, in my case, anyway!)

I love NYC, but I've never lived there or in North Jersey or the surrounding metro area.  Who knows, though, I may end up in Lower Manhattan or White Plains, or even Newark or Hempstead by the time this all shakes out :)

My dad was born in Brooklyn, so maybe that counts a little :)