Law School Discussion

Hofstra

140am

• View Profile
Hofstra
« on: February 04, 2005, 04:09:07 PM »
Waitlisted at Hofstra.  See LSN link below for stats.

carlsonjd

Re: Hofstra
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 05:46:58 PM »
Congrats, Kevdog, I also applied to Hofstra and am looking forward to hearing some word from them.  I'm assuming you want to practice in the NYC area, do you know what their reputation is like in the area. (I'm from Chicago and I want to eventually relocate out East).

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 09:30:48 AM »
Congrats, Kevdog, I also applied to Hofstra and am looking forward to hearing some word from them.  I'm assuming you want to practice in the NYC area, do you know what their reputation is like in the area. (I'm from Chicago and I want to eventually relocate out East).

Well, I don't know if I would say congratulations just yet, but on the other hand, I'm not rejected, so I guess I'm technically still batting 1000! 

As for their reputation, it is my understanding that they are a decent enough school, but the competition for law jobs in the NYC area is tight, with so many schools being there, plus the presence of two top 10 programs (NYU and Columbia), not to mention the fact that lots of schools around the country have OCI opportunities for NYC jobs (Tulane, W&L, Virginia, Gtown, Duke, etc. etc. etc.)

I think that on Long Island, itself, however, Hofstra more or less owns that territory.

NeverForever

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 10:43:45 AM »
Living well is the best revenge....

Midtown fan?

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 07:01:24 AM »
Living well is the best revenge....

Midtown fan?

What's Midtown.  Is that a band?  I just recently renamed my blog to that title, as I've been recently jilted.

cam108

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 10:27:18 AM »
Hey,

I'm interested in Hofstra as well. I'm from MD, and have no idea what Long Island is like except I hear its a pretty expensive place to live. Does anyone have any other info on the area?

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 10:37:36 AM »
Hey,

I'm interested in Hofstra as well. I'm from MD, and have no idea what Long Island is like except I hear its a pretty expensive place to live. Does anyone have any other info on the area?

It's the very developed suburban area east of New York City.  Hofstra is about 25 minutes from Manhattan, so it's in an exciting enough location, if you consider the overall area.  Long Islanders are a lot like New Yorkers, many of them have spent part of their life having lived in the city, so you're giong to end up with the same attitudes.  That's OK for some people, but keep in mind that a lot of people around the country don't like the New York attitude, which really is different than the attitude in other cities.  It's definitely a confidence/bravado, which is great, but can be annoying sometimes, too.  I like it up there but it's not for everyone.  Go up there, talk to people who attend, see the area, talk to people working at businesses.  If you aren't familiar with NYC and its culture, just make sure you know what's up, that's all.

cam108

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 10:44:46 AM »
oh ok thx! I'm not to concerned about NY attitudes but more so with the expensive cost of living i've heard about.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 10:48:49 AM »
oh ok thx! I'm not to concerned about NY attitudes but more so with the expensive cost of living i've heard about.

Well, what you've heard is correct -- it's pretty expensive up there.

naomi288

• soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 11:45:49 AM »
hofstra is not in the greatest area on long island