Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: $$ at Temple  (Read 5345 times)

ori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: $$ at Temple
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2005, 09:47:45 PM »
Add me to the list.  Beasley Scholarship.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=origoongdengee
In: NYU, Temple
WL: Harvard, Stanford
Deferred: UPenn
WL/Accepted (for c/o 2009): Chicago
WL/Declined: Columbia
WL/Rejected: Yale

mschuell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2005, 10:28:06 PM »
mschuell, I am pretty much ready to commit to TU next fall.  The money today put it over the top, far too good a deal in state to pass up.  Do you have a focus in mind?
\

Congratulations on your scholarship- That is what, a third of your tutition paid for all three years since you are in-state?  Nice deal.

I might respectfully see if there is a possibility of getting a bit more money...10,000 for 1st year is nice, but over three years that isn't all that much for out of state tuition.

Still, I am convinced it is the school for me and I am just thankful I got something- no greed here.

Regarding my focus, I am definitely interested in the Trial Ad program..as I am sure many will be.  The head professor of the program sent a nice email today talking about the programs strengths; I had mentioned my interest to the admissions lady I talked to on my visit, so I thought that was nice of the  prof to do, even though I am sure it is a mass email he sends to many.

So yeah, I am interested in Trial Ad but I do know that being a trial lawyer isn't incredibly likely, so I am coming into school with an open mind.

Now I am starting to look into housing options; any recommendations for cheap, safe places in Center City?
3.35, 163

Attending: Seton Hall
Accepted:  Rutgers-Newark ($), Villanova, Brooklyn ($), Temple($),  American, Seton Hall($), Cardozo PT                      
Rejected: Fordham, GMU
Waitlisted:Pending:  None

JDubs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2005, 07:10:23 AM »
mschuell, I am pretty much ready to commit to TU next fall.  The money today put it over the top, far too good a deal in state to pass up.  Do you have a focus in mind?
\

Congratulations on your scholarship- That is what, a third of your tutition paid for all three years since you are in-state?  Nice deal.

I might respectfully see if there is a possibility of getting a bit more money...10,000 for 1st year is nice, but over three years that isn't all that much for out of state tuition.

Still, I am convinced it is the school for me and I am just thankful I got something- no greed here.

Regarding my focus, I am definitely interested in the Trial Ad program..as I am sure many will be.  The head professor of the program sent a nice email today talking about the programs strengths; I had mentioned my interest to the admissions lady I talked to on my visit, so I thought that was nice of the  prof to do, even though I am sure it is a mass email he sends to many.

So yeah, I am interested in Trial Ad but I do know that being a trial lawyer isn't incredibly likely, so I am coming into school with an open mind.

Now I am starting to look into housing options; any recommendations for cheap, safe places in Center City?

Doesn't hurt to ask.  You could always says something like, 'I really appreciate your first year offer and was wondering if there were opportunities for scholarship money during my second and third year...'

I also got a letter from David Post who is the head professor in the Technology Law program.  I guess TU is making the profs earn their keep during Spring Break!

LSN

Going to Temple's Evening Program in '07!

lauralynne

• Sr. Citizen
  • '02 PSU Alum
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LangelK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2005, 04:18:26 PM »
Was just notified that I'll be getting $4500/year in state.  Part of the Law Faculty Scholarship.

Me too...congrats!

Likewise.

I trust Pitt is still in the lead at this point however?

Ummm, yeah.  Still waiting on GW and GMU.  And waiting to sell my house.  Lots of "up in the airs".
I will be a Nittany Lion turned Pitt Panther for 1L 2005.

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=xpsupiphi

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2005, 04:21:18 PM »
My Beasley Scholarship was full tuition for 1L and 1/2 tuition for 2L and 3L as long as I stay in the top half of the class.

JDubs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2005, 04:30:13 PM »

I apologize for ignoring this part of the message.  I am not sure what your definition of cheap is, but if you want to stay in center city, there are a lot of options.  Cheaper areas are Northern Liberties and the Art Museum area.  Trendier areas are South Street and Old City.  I have some links at home which I will send to you in a PM.
LSN

jg049457

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2005, 07:11:08 PM »
I sent my deposit into temple about a week ago. Went to an admitted student day on Monday (during the snowstorm). I was really really impressed...I'm convinced I'm making a good decision. I'm still waiting on two higher-ranked schools, but they'd have to put up some really good numbers to beat a scholarship on in-state tution and the absence of a need to find my own housing (ah, living at home at 22...LOL)

I would recommend that anyone who's on the fence still go to an admitted student day that isn't the open house. I was in a group with about 4 other students -- we all got very personalized attention and were able to talk one-on-one with students, professors, finaid, and administators.

Of course my loyalties lie to Saint Joe's, so it was kinda interesting being on Temple's campus after the whole Cheyney, John Bryant fiasco. (Big John, if you're reading, get better!) LOL.

Oh and also, to the poster who mentioned being scared on Broad Street, it's really not that bad. I've lived in Philly all my life and as long as you're careful and smart about what you're doing you should be fine. Parents at the tour were worried about that as well, and we were told that the parking is secure and there are guards around 24/7. It's only really late at night that you might even think of worrying (because otherwise there's students everywhere) and even then, if you're a day student you probably won't be around.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2005, 07:22:41 PM »
..Parents at the tour were worried about that as well, and we were told that the parking is secure and there are guards around 24/7...

PARENTS still go to these things?!?!  Come on people! your adults heading into law school!!

JDubs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2005, 07:45:22 PM »
I sent my deposit into temple about a week ago. Went to an admitted student day on Monday (during the snowstorm). I was really really impressed...I'm convinced I'm making a good decision. I'm still waiting on two higher-ranked schools, but they'd have to put up some really good numbers to beat a scholarship on in-state tution and the absence of a need to find my own housing (ah, living at home at 22...LOL)

Seems to be a pretty healthy contingent of temple probables on this board.  we'll have to meet up for a pint at some point.
LSN

qtip2012

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT: 162 UGPA: 3.06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2005, 09:02:25 PM »
..Parents at the tour were worried about that as well, and we were told that the parking is secure and there are guards around 24/7...

PARENTS still go to these things?!?!  Come on people! your adults heading into law school!!

If the parents are paying a portion they probably would like to see where their money is going.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=MrGrieves

Heaven: Northeastern (w/ $8500), Brooklyn, Roger Williams (w/ $20000), St. John's (w/ 12500), Hofstra (w/ $16000), Case Western (w/ $9000), American
Hell: BU
Purgatory: UConn, Cardozo

Applied: Temple