Law School Discussion

$$ at Temple

Re: $$ at Temple
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2005, 08:02:01 PM »
I sent my deposit into temple about a week ago. Went to an admitted student day on Monday (during the snowstorm). I was really really impressed...I'm convinced I'm making a good decision. I'm still waiting on two higher-ranked schools, but they'd have to put up some really good numbers to beat a scholarship on in-state tution and the absence of a need to find my own housing (ah, living at home at 22...LOL)

I would recommend that anyone who's on the fence still go to an admitted student day that isn't the open house. I was in a group with about 4 other students -- we all got very personalized attention and were able to talk one-on-one with students, professors, finaid, and administators.

Of course my loyalties lie to Saint Joe's, so it was kinda interesting being on Temple's campus after the whole Cheyney, John Bryant fiasco. (Big John, if you're reading, get better!) LOL.

Oh and also, to the poster who mentioned being scared on Broad Street, it's really not that bad. I've lived in Philly all my life and as long as you're careful and smart about what you're doing you should be fine. Parents at the tour were worried about that as well, and we were told that the parking is secure and there are guards around 24/7. It's only really late at night that you might even think of worrying (because otherwise there's students everywhere) and even then, if you're a day student you probably won't be around.

Thanks for the post- I really wish I could visit during an Admitted Students day or the Open House, but my unofficial visit from  a few weeks ago will have to do.

Think I will send in my deposit soon as well.

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2005, 08:06:50 PM »
I sent my deposit into temple about a week ago. Went to an admitted student day on Monday (during the snowstorm). I was really really impressed...I'm convinced I'm making a good decision. I'm still waiting on two higher-ranked schools, but they'd have to put up some really good numbers to beat a scholarship on in-state tution and the absence of a need to find my own housing (ah, living at home at 22...LOL)

Seems to be a pretty healthy contingent of temple probables on this board.  we'll have to meet up for a pint at some point.

Definitely.

Faure

• Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:33 PM »
You can't beat the Pennsylvania tuition rate at Temple. Yes, the campus looks like 1945 Berlin, but the law facilities are very impressive. Personally, when I attended the "admitted student day" I was amazed by the personal attention. Of all 300 billion law schools, Temple is one of 5 law schools to have their applications up over 20% this year. Temple is cheap, located in a major metropolitan area and gives you streed cred with 50 cent if you make it through graduation. That's tough to beat!    ;D

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2005, 10:45:31 PM »
Temple is in the WORST section of Philly.  If anyone doesn't think it's a SERIOUS consideration, they're crazy.  If you've visited and think it wasn't sketchy, you're not perceptive.  I've lived in and around Philly my entire life, so I probably have a better idea of the safe/unsafe neighborhoods better than people who just visited once.  The good thing about the campus is that it's lit up w/ floodlights on all the buildings at night, but you wouldn't want to be there on foot--at leaast not even a foot off of campus.

Having said all that, if I get into Temple, I'll most likely go there despite the area it's in.  I'd just never venture even an inch off campus up there.

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2005, 11:58:04 PM »
You can't beat the Pennsylvania tuition rate at Temple. Yes, the campus looks like 1945 Berlin, but the law facilities are very impressive. Personally, when I attended the "admitted student day" I was amazed by the personal attention. Of all 300 billion law schools, Temple is one of 5 law schools to have their applications up over 20% this year. Temple is cheap, located in a major metropolitan area and gives you streed cred with 50 cent if you make it through graduation. That's tough to beat!    ;D

Where did you hear about apps being up?  At the admitted students day?  Darn it I wish I could attend one of those..

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2005, 04:48:33 AM »
Temple is in the WORST section of Philly.  If anyone doesn't think it's a SERIOUS consideration, they're crazy.  If you've visited and think it wasn't sketchy, you're not perceptive.  I've lived in and around Philly my entire life, so I probably have a better idea of the safe/unsafe neighborhoods better than people who just visited once.  The good thing about the campus is that it's lit up w/ floodlights on all the buildings at night, but you wouldn't want to be there on foot--at leaast not even a foot off of campus.

Having said all that, if I get into Temple, I'll most likely go there despite the area it's in.  I'd just never venture even an inch off campus up there.

I don't think anyone argues about the area it is in.  However, the campus is as safe as any other urban campus.  And there really is no reason to venture off into the surrounding neighborhood.  There is parking on site and there is a subway and train stop as well.  This has all been beaten to death but I thought it should be addressed.

Faure

• Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2005, 05:50:32 AM »
Rebecca Dougherty, one of the admissions officers, told me about the 20% jump in applications. Yes, the admitted student day was excellent. If you haven't attended one, I would highly recommend it. Does anyone see any reason to attend Villanova or Rutgers-Camden instead of Temple? Also, is going to Penn worth the additional $21,000 in tuition? Thanks!

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2005, 06:56:04 AM »
Rebecca Dougherty, one of the admissions officers, told me about the 20% jump in applications. Yes, the admitted student day was excellent. If you haven't attended one, I would highly recommend it. Does anyone see any reason to attend Villanova or Rutgers-Camden instead of Temple? Also, is going to Penn worth the additional $21,000 in tuition? Thanks!

If you are a NJ resident, Rutgers tuition is similar to what Temple's tuition is for PA residents.  Other than that, its seems Temple is a better option in general.  Its at least 10 spots higher in the rankings and seems to be getting stronger over the past couple of years.  Not sure I can say the same for Villanona or Rutgers.  I don't know the specifics about individual programs so if you are looking for a particular specialty, it could be that temple isn't as good but I am not sure.

With regards to Penn being worth the extra 21k, it depends on your goals.  If you want to stay in Philly with a decent shot at Biglaw, Temple is probably just as good as Penn.  However, if you want to work in NYC, DC or another major market outside of Philly, or you want an almost certain shot at Biglaw, Penn is probably the way to go.  For what its worth, I applied to both Penn and Temple (as well as Rutgers and 'nova) and I am almost definitely going to Temple, even if Penn miraculously lets me in.  Temple's tuition, along with the bit of money they gave me, is far too good a deal to pass up.

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2005, 07:02:18 AM »
I have a book recommendation for all of you thinking about going to Temple, especially for those who want to work in BIGLAW.  Check out "Barman" by Wellen.  It's an easy read about a top Temple law student and how he got into Biglaw, took the bar, handled temple, etc.  I enjoyed it.

JDubs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2005, 07:35:43 AM »
I have a book recommendation for all of you thinking about going to Temple, especially for those who want to work in BIGLAW.  Check out "Barman" by Wellen.  It's an easy read about a top Temple law student and how he got into Biglaw, took the bar, handled temple, etc.  I enjoyed it.

thanks for the heads up.  just ordered it from amazon.  $2.69 used!