Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAFSA Updates  (Read 761 times)

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FAFSA Updates
« on: February 04, 2005, 11:22:57 AM »
I know there are a ton of FAFSA threads, but just wondered if anyone had already gotten their W-2, done their taxes, and updated the FAFSA.  Bear with me as I ask a stupid question b/c I'm running to an interview and don't have time for searching past threads... After my initial FAFSA submission, what do I need to do outside of correct the numbers when I've finished my taxes?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FAFSA Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 11:43:37 AM »
I know there are a ton of FAFSA threads, but just wondered if anyone had already gotten their W-2, done their taxes, and updated the FAFSA.  Bear with me as I ask a stupid question b/c I'm running to an interview and don't have time for searching past threads... After my initial FAFSA submission, what do I need to do outside of correct the numbers when I've finished my taxes?

That's it. But you'll have to do it twice to cover all 10 of your schools.

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 12:07:15 PM »
I'm done with all my FAFSA BS (finally.)  First, submit your estimated info.  You'll receive confirmation that it went through in the form of an SAR, which is usually e-mailed to you - but you can also just check the status online a few days after you submitted it to make sure it's done.  Then, once you have your taxes done and have your final numbers, you have to go back and submit a "correction."  Go in and update your numbers, and resubmit the FAFSA (keeping the original 6 schools the same.)  Then, you'll receive another SAR via e-mail confirming your corrections (or, again, just go in and check a few days later.)  Once you're sure that has gone through, you'll need to do ANOTHER correction - leaving all your final financial numbers the same, but deleting your first six schools and replacing them with your remaining schools.  Submit that, and you're done.

The "correction" process made me uneasy, wondering if my first six schools would still get the info if I deleted them and replaced them with other schools - so, as I posted elsewhere, I actually clicked a link to get live online support from a FAFSA rep, who confirmed that once your first FAFSA is submitted and you've received your SAR, it's fine to delete the first six schools and add new ones.  The first six schools WILL still receive your info, as will the next set of schools you add. So, you're good to go.

One thing he mentioned that's worth pointing out, though, is that if any of your FINANCIAL information changes between your first "final numbers" FAFSA submission and when you go back in to make your "new schools" correction, you need to first make sure to do a correction to that financial info and re-submit it to your first six schools.  Then wait for confirmation that it went through (SAR), THEN go back and do ANOTHER correction where you delete the first six schools and add your remaining schools.  (In other words, don't send in your FAFSA with estimated financial info to your first six schools, then go in and do one correction where you put in your actual financial info, delete the first six schools, and send it to new schools.  Only the new schools would then receive your actual financial info.) 
Attending: W&M

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 01:30:18 PM »
GREAT, informative post.  Thanks!

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 01:37:17 PM »
I am still trying to remember what pin I chose to access my FASFA information. Hopefully they email it to me soon so I can get it started. I heard that you can use your old information if you have not done your taxes yet... anyone know if this is true?
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

V

• Sr. Citizen
  • MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
i was advised to NOT SUBMIT until your taxes are done, no?

i have a stupid q.  please bare w/ me as i'm still contending w/ other prelim. law app. stuff.  is there a way to print out the fafsa form w/out entering pertinenet #s?  or any way at all to obtain this form w/out filling anything out other than your standard basic info.?

tx. in advance!

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 02:46:01 PM »
I just went through the whole exhaustive process described by Monkey--four submissions of the FAFSA, and I really hope I'm done. You can print out worksheets from the FAFSA website, which have all of the information they ask for in the online form. Just go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and click on "Before Beginning a FAFSA."
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

V

• Sr. Citizen
  • MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 06:00:31 PM »
thank you so very very much!!!  :)

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 01:23:12 PM »
You're welcome! Good luck.
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 05:32:11 PM »
goodluck to all going thru the fafsa process...it drained the hell out me personally dealing with their poor customer service line, their dumb pin system, and the fact that you can only do six schools at a time
"Que ve esta noviembre?"