Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are any of you sick of hearing "your life is going to suck during LS?"  (Read 4498 times)

gemesq

• View Profile
I wanted to start a thread to see if any of you have experienced what I have.... mostly newer lawyers telling you that LS sucks and your life is going to suck during LS.  From what I can tell there are two theories for this phenomenon:(1)  those people are terribly unhappy being lawyers and/or hate the firm where they are working; or (2)  this is the beginning of competitiveness and they are just trying to psych us out.  I have many friends who are lawyers and only one has been unconditionally supportive.  From all the others I get patronizing comments like "...I wouldn't change places with you for anything..." and "...are you ready to start your career?..."  (which is very insulting considering I am a non-trad with a great career already!)
"Oh, I'm sorry, you must have been absent the day they taught law at law school..." Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men

jayhawk

Re: Are any of you sick of hearing "your life is going to suck during LS?"
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 11:24:36 AM »
none of my friends are lawyers, so perhaps that is the reason why all of them are very happy and excited for me.  there is only one lawyer that i know well at all, and he went to HLS.  i was speaking with him yesterday about his experience, since that is probably where i'll be next year.  everything he said about the school and his experience made me more excited to go!  maybe he was just trying to get me pumped about it, but he really sounded sincere...

gemesq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 11:36:50 AM »
That is definitely true.  My friends that are not in the legal field are very supportive.  I have been in the legal field for a few years and it is such a game most of the time! However, the partner at the firm where I work is very supportive and he is the one who pointed out that those attorneys may be unhappy with their work and are probably jealous that I am so psyched about LS and love the type of law we practice.   

...congrats an all your admits! 
"Oh, I'm sorry, you must have been absent the day they taught law at law school..." Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men

murkydreamer

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 11:45:55 AM »
None of my friends/family are lawyers either, so they have all been very supportive of my decision to go to law school.  I'm trying to get into the mindset that law school will be a lot of work, but that doesn't mean that I can't also enjoy the time I spend there.  Both my high school and college required me to do a lot of work, so while the workload will be slightly heavier in law school, I don't think it'll be unbearable by any means.

I was talking to an associate here at work (big firm) and she mentioned how she absolutely loved law school.  Some of her best friends are from LS (as is her husband), she did very well, and had a good time.  She's not a huge fan of what she does now (mainly the hours), but has been here for 5 years.   

twarga

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 12:23:24 PM »
I've heard that it's a lot of hard work, but if you stay on top of the workload, law school can be pretty fun.  It's when you get behind and bogged down that it really s*cks.

I'm looking forward to the challenge, and I'm not deluding myself into thinking it'll be anything like undergrad.  The people who hated law school probably thought it was going to be an extension of the fun/partying time they had during UG.  I think if you don't go into it with that misconception, you'll be ready.

A.J

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 12:31:17 PM »
Its all what you make of it and what kind of temperment you have, imo.  I spoke with a local lawyer out of BYU recently and he said he thrived in the law school environment.  He is confontative and aggressive by nature, and he said those qualities were an aid to him.  Every bit of it was challenging but he didnt allow his spirit to be run over or his drive to be diminished by it.  He also took some satisfaction in seeing other people struggle and hate it, saying that it allowed to seperate himself from the pack.

66scorer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 06:59:56 PM »
I have talked with a couple of lawyers who live near me and they have both been very upbeat about their law school experience.  They say what has already been said in this thread about working hard and staying ahead of the curve.  If we can do that, I think we will all be fine.

I love the argument.  I am not always interested in the topic, but (God help me) I lose myself in the argument.

February '05 LSAT - 157
UGPA 3.11

"Why are we violent but not illiterate?
Because we are taught to read."
Colman McCarthy

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 07:19:26 PM »
I love law school, seriously, to a point that is probably unhealthy. Also, don't hate law school. Nobody I know that's doing well (either here or at other schools) hates/hated law school. Everyone I know that's doing well loves it.

I think, with very few exceptions that I can't even think of right now, if you can't find SOMETHING about a class that is genuinely interesting enough to keep you hooked, then law school isn't right for you.

nasym123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 10:28:44 PM »
I think that can be true for any school. It's depend on what makes you go to LS. My husband is a lawyer he loves it, and he enjoys what he is doing. He says all good things about LS, he always recall his political arguments with his professors and classmats. All his discussion are about politics and law.I know few other lawyers that hate what they are doing they make lot of money but they have an unhappy miserable life. And the truth that is one of the things that is holding me back from applying. I want to make sure that I am going for a good reason to LS. So go with your heart tells you, and good luck!

the REAL desi

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 10:44:59 PM »
you can love being a lawyer.  in fact, you should love being a lawyer (or at least love the biglaw $) if you're going to be a lawyer.

however, the general rule is that most people hate law school with a passion.  it sucks.