Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Email from Duke???  (Read 2942 times)

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Email from Duke???
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 12:20:52 PM »
bump

just checking for updates....

anyone have any news?
Uconn Law 1L.

maricutie

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 02:08:01 PM »
I received the e-mail also, as well as some promotional material via snail mail from Duke; I figure, given my undergraduate institution, I'd have no chance in hell at a place like Duke, so I disregarded it immediately. But then again, I never thought being hispanic would increase my chances much...

I love your avatar!! :)

PS: And thanks, miemmo!

Lulu

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 03:18:17 PM »
i'm hispanic, have been accepted, and got the email the other day. i got accepted in november, got the email last week.

backandforthforever

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 07:22:19 PM »
Awww, blake's been complimenting me!!  :-*  :)

BTW, Duke does have a severe dearth of hispanic students. One, they're in North Carolina, where there is really no significant Hispanic population PERIOD. Second, it's in the real south ... I know plenty of ppl who would take lower ranked schools over Duke because of the location. Durham, I hear, is aiight ... but it's when you get out there that might not be so happy.

That having been said (and in response to blake's "scary" comment), I figured that being hispanic would AT LEAST get me my application read. And once you have your foot in the door, it's up to you to figure out what to do with it. Hope this helps!!

I am a Hispanic Senior at Duke and so I would look to clarify some of the incorrect assumptions previously made. First of all, North Carolina and specifically the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is constantly ranked in the top 5 CNN poll for "fastest growing and largest Hispanic communities." Durham is an incredibly diverse community with a very large Mexican population; there also seems to be a growing influence from other Latin Americans nationals as well.

Durham is not bad. In fact, I love it. As long as you have a car, it's great to be able to drive to Franklin Street in Chapel Hill to get some work done over coffe....drive 10 miles in the other direction and have access to great shopping at Southpoint....and the bars in the CH/Durham area aren't that bad either. Also, if you're like me and you'll need to fly long distances home for the holidays, RDU Airport is quite large (used to be the headquarters for Midway Airlines so the facility is pretty big) and has non stop flights to all major US Cities (including most west coast cities) and even has a non-stop flight on American Airlines to London (for all of your European applicants out there).

The law school also just completed a long overdue, impressive expansion and rennovation to its facility. Overall, Duke is an amazing place to call home and if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

:)