Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Email from Duke???  (Read 2934 times)

mm3953a

• View Profile
Email from Duke???
« on: February 04, 2005, 11:06:37 AM »
did any of you guys get an email from Duke's Hispanic Law school student association (HLSA)? If they emailed you does it mean anything? I would think that if Duke wasn't considering me they wouldn't bother giving out my information. Thanks for your help! I work at admissions at my undergrad institution and they only email/call students they are thinking about admitting. Let me know what you think!!!!

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: Email from Duke???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 11:11:11 AM »
I did get an email from them, post-admittance. However, I'd say it doesn't mean much. It's important to remember that there's no incremental cost with email, so there's no harm in simply sending it to everybody; if the information turns out to be useless to the majority of people who get it, Duke hasn't lost anything.

That being said, do a search of your email with the subject line "Congratulations", from "Dennis J. Shields".  It's easy to miss because it looks just like spam.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 11:12:59 AM »
i don't wanna break your heart, but i got it too...and as you can see i suck.  lol.  it was confusing to me also and i still don't know what it really means.  maricutie got this email also, but she has been accepted already.  i thought it might be a good sign, but i may be getting ahead of myself with that one.  if you really want to know i would suggest emailing them and asking why you received it.
Uconn Law 1L.

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 11:18:26 AM »
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 11:29:45 AM »
When did y'all get the email?

I got my acceptance on 11/30, and the HLSA email on 12/7. I got a further congratulatory email from the same organization on 12/22.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

mm3953a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 12:42:57 PM »
I talked to other admissions officers and they only send out emails to perspective students that they are highly considering. why would they send out a personalized email if your application is in the deny pile? the letter i got was extremely positive and encouraging! i've applied to 35 schools and Duke is the only school to send out an email like this so far.

:)my spirit needed a little hope.

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 01:07:48 PM »
i realllly hope that is true.  it would be the best cinderella story yet! i have a -400% chance according to all the sources lol.  i applied for the joint degree JD/MA English, and i have heard that it is slightly easier to get accepted to the joint programs due to a significant decrease in apps this year.  i got the email on 1/20 and i went complete on 1/15 ish, but then i kept sending them more stuff (updated transript, LOR, and then switched my app to joint degree and had to write another PS for that pertaining to the MA in English on 2/1) so i don't know exactly when i will really be complete...just so you know mm3953, duke is major lacking in Hispanic students, so if you have decent numbers then it is a fair guess to say that you are in.

on a side note, does anyone else think it is kinda scary that they obviously put us in some kind of special pile because we are hispanic? like...they had to give our info to the HLSA...just a thought.

mm3953a, what do you mean by personalized? just that your name was on the top or that it specifically talked about you and your accomplishments ect...
Uconn Law 1L.

mm3953a

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 01:15:29 PM »
i like the fact that they sent me an email. i don't find that scary at all. i also have a -400% chance of getting into Duke or any other law school. has anyone else received this email and been accepted?  :)

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 01:16:14 PM »
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 01:17:17 PM »
maricutie got the email and has been accepted...but she is a smartie!  :)
i just found this online

http://www.law.duke.edu/student/act/latino.html

if you dont mind sharing...what are your numbers?
Uconn Law 1L.