Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Support for those considering online programs  (Read 1678 times)

prelaw45

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Support for those considering online programs
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 03:57:25 AM »
I'm surprised that this thread lapsed into oblivion (or as Mike Tyson says "Bolivian").  Time to bring it back from Bolivian.

Anybody else want to share their insights and experiences?  I have to admit, Concord is now number one on my list of schools.  I went to a law school in San Francisco (state-accredited) and the experience wasn't for me.  It was a two-hour commute and it was hard on me and my family.  The other school close to my home won't take me because my LSAT wasn't high enough.  I have to work so Concord has become my only option.  From what I have read, it is becoming a well-respected, highly effective way to learn the law and become a lawyer.

I don't want to work for a big law firm.  I'd like to utilize my technical background and get into patent law.  I have a BSCS and and MSCS.  I'll be taking the PTO exam in 2007.  Patent lawyers have told me that it's an excellent school, so I'm taking the plunge.  I agree with the sentiments of the OP.  His view is the same as mine.

OP.  If you're still around, where are you going to school?

bobkoff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 10:17:01 PM »
Anyone contemplating online law school should read this. It really opened my eyes!
http://www.asis.com/~edenson/lawstudy.html#outline

bobkoff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 11:01:39 PM »
Actually I have been doing some research and I am leaning towards Abraham Lincoln University. Concord is very good, but ALU is juat as good, and they have a unique delivery method via the internet. Their Bar passage rate is also good.Plus with ALU I can actually start next month, with Concord I have to wait until June. anyone ele have any opinions as to which schools are better than others?

prelaw45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 10:58:51 PM »
Well, I decided not to take the online route because I got an acceptance letter from the state-accredited school near my house (Lincoln Law School).  This school was my first choice and for awhile there I didn't think they were going to let me in.  Lincoln is an excellent law school and since I have no intention of leaving California, an ideal place for me to lean the law.

But while researching alternatives such as Concord, WHT, and ALU, I gained some respect for these schools and the quality of their programs.  I would encourage anyone who has no option but to attend one of these schools, to give them serious consideration.  They are valid schools and have their place.  Not everyone wants to work for a big, prestigious law firm or run up serious debt.  Not everyone who wants to go to law school is within the age range where attending an ABA school would provide the most benefit.

So bobkoff, if ALU works for you based on your circumstances, go for it.  Just remember, it doesn't matter what law school you go to, it is up to you to learn the law and pass the Bar.  Good luck!