Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid for US law schools?  (Read 2324 times)

canadia

• View Profile
Financial Aid for US law schools?
« on: February 04, 2005, 05:16:21 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has been applying to US law schools on this board?  How is everyone planning to fund the absurd out-of-state tuition?  Asides from the maximum $13,000 we get from the Canadian loans, are there other resources we can tap into?  When I was an undergrad in the states, I had to take out a private loan to pay for my tuition and I'm wondering if people might know of any other resources ??

Thanks!  good luck with apps. ;D

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Financial Aid for US law schools?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 12:02:59 PM »
honestly ... i wish i could help you.

my plan is: government loans + school loan + awards + line of credit ...  :-\

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 07:10:52 PM »
hey cheeks, i knoooow what you mean  :-\ so sad for us folks... 
I remember talking to you briefly before - you were the one that got accepted into Cornell yes?  are you pretty much set on a school in the US?  Anymore acceptance thus far?  I'm still looking at cornell, duke and boalt - haven't heard back from anyone else, it's driving me kinda nutz. 

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 12:32:34 PM »
yeah,i've been accepted to chicago, duke and cornell ... i think one more?  anyways, yeah ... I'm leaning towards chicago right now ... but I'm still considering UofT.  I'm really not sure how i'm going to decide.  I plan on visiting all of the schools, and then making my decision based on that.

LilyQ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 07:12:45 PM »
Getting financial aid will definitely be tough. My friend applied to US schools in 2003 and was accepted to NYU and Cornell. She deferred her admission and worked for the year, saving money for school. A year's income is obviously not enough for the 3 years of law school, but it was a start. And she managed to get some funds through other sources. Anyhow, don't give up. There must be a way!  :P
Good luck!

Just wondering if anyone has been applying to US law schools on this board?  How is everyone planning to fund the absurd out-of-state tuition?  Asides from the maximum $13,000 we get from the Canadian loans, are there other resources we can tap into?  When I was an undergrad in the states, I had to take out a private loan to pay for my tuition and I'm wondering if people might know of any other resources ??

Thanks!  good luck with apps. ;D

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 02:38:04 AM »
Has anyone read Montauk's  (How to Get Into the Top Law Schools) advice on financial aid? I wonder how much of his resources apply exclusively to US citizens? 

financial aid is such a headache :( 

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 08:51:30 AM »
I read it, but to be honest, i dont' remember much from the Financial aid section.  I"ll review it tonight, and get back to you.

clusion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 09:05:31 PM »
I think your going to have to tap into private loans.  You can try TERI Student loans my sister is on that for Med School.  OSAP Was giving her something like $165 week, which didnt' come close to her 50K/year fee.  Teri gave her 25K that covered her first year, and  she has used a few family contacts to cover the rest.

I have a buncha URL's ready for when I need to apply.  My first bet will be the Sallie Mae Law school Loan for US citizens as well as internationals.  Just go to salliemae's website and search law school loans. 

ALSO: CitiAssist Loan by CITIBANK
Nationality: U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident Alien status or International Student

You can borrow upto 150K.  Better if you have a U.S. cosigner.  If not give it a shot. 

These are all private no subsidization.  Which means interest rates are a little over prime, they are still student loans.  But you will definetly need good credit to apply to them.  Hope thi shelps. Lot tougher for us, I am finishing my undergrad at U.S. school and because of my good grades im on a 80% scholorship.  Maybe law schools have sometihng like that for international students?? You never know worth a shot..

-Neil

DarkHound

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 10:16:40 PM »
1 sec, what's this 13,000 loan?

Asides from the maximum $13,000 we get from the Canadian loans,

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 08:07:14 AM »
also, do we need to fill out the FAFSA?  Anyone...cause its due tomorrow for most schools.  ugh...