Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid for US law schools?  (Read 2391 times)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Financial Aid for US law schools?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 08:14:19 AM »
I have no idea what to do about finance: how are we supposed to even get a US cosigner?
Anyway, I contacted the Boalt financial aid office and they told me to file the FAFSA so that they (Boalt) could assess my eligibility for aid. Thing is, you need a US social security number to even get past the first page of the online FAFSA form, so I can't even do that!
I emailed Boalt to tell them, so hopefully I should have some answers tomorrow.... I'll come back with them then. But they said the deadlines aren't rigid for international students anyway. They understand how hard it is for us...

clusion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 09:57:49 AM »
FASFA is only for US Citizens.  I tried it about 2 years ago :)  Just for the hell of it you know, hoping i'd slip by  :)

SO anyone that says fill out a FASFA must not understand what a international student is, or just some lady on the phone has no idea even where Canada is on the map (which sadly is more commen then you think). 

Sadly a lot of these private loans dont ask you what kind of student you are, and dont factor that into the loan application.  They only ask what school you are attending.  SO they consider you equivelant to someone who is a solid C Average student.  I think that sucks, if you get strait A's you have a 100 times better chance of paying back their loan.  Ah well..so hard for us Canadians to finance this US Legal education..

So what is this $13,000 we get?? Osap gives $165 week which is close to $8000 Canadian, which goes way downto like $5500 US when converted..

-Neil

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 10:00:00 AM »
lots of schools apparently use the FAFSA as a way of analyzing financual need. They just use the info on the form. It's not filled in for the purpose of getting federal aid. Confusing.

Sonya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 10:47:34 AM »
We can't fill out the FAFSA, but we can fill out NeedAccess (www.NeedAccess.org) in order to be considered for need-based loans. At least that's what the Harvard website says; it's the only financial aid website I've seen that specifically addresses Canadian prospective students. I'm pretty sure that most schools follow the same financial aid process. The sooner you fill this thing out, the sooner you find out about your financial aid award.

Can anyone tell me more about this $13,000 in Canadian loans?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 10:51:53 AM »
i filled out Needaccess but it's pretty impossible to fill out.

It keeps making reference to like "tax form 1040A line 150" yada yada yada.  So its really hard to follow.  Most of my stuff is estimates too.  Oh well.

Sonya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 01:47:10 PM »
I give up. NeedAccess is impossible. I'm gonna shoot e-mails to a bunch of financial aid offices and ask them if there's any other way for Canucks to get need-based aid. If I find out anything interesting, I'll let you all know.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 02:01:24 PM »
I give up. NeedAccess is impossible. I'm gonna shoot e-mails to a bunch of financial aid offices and ask them if there's any other way for Canucks to get need-based aid. If I find out anything interesting, I'll let you all know.

yeah...you know what i did.  Since the deadline is tomorrow, i filled it out the best i could, and then wrote at the end that I really had no idea what's going on.

I gave them my income and assets/liabilities and employment (and same for my parents).  that's about it.

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 07:51:12 PM »
Oh wow - didn't know that this thread had so many replies.  LSD didn't put it in my unread replies file until today - sorry for not responding!

the 13,000 loans is the maximum amount that canadian and provincial government give out to graduate students studying outside of BC.  The UG max amount is 10,000 and that's what I used to get each year while I was studying at Berkeley.  My bf. went to chiropractic graduate school also in the States and he was granted the max. amount of 13,000 and so I'm deducing that grad students get roughly around 2000 more than UG students. 

this is just based on personal experinece, no idea if laws have changed since then (about 2 years ago).  hth. 

and as for FAFSA, international students do have to fill it out for some schools - I've actually called and asked.  Like someone before already said - law schools use it to gauge financial need even if the US government sees our canadian status and tosses our apps into the paper shredder  :-\

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 07:56:59 PM »
yeah, but how do we get the PIN?  they won't give it to you, without a SSN...

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 10:47:32 AM »
is that right?? 

hmm.. i didn't have that problem since I had a US SSN :(  maybe u should contact law schools to find out?  Really, the system is absurd.  sorry can't be of more help.