Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?  (Read 24657 times)

TLFKARG

Re: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 12:07:13 AM »
(for Berkeley and UCLA, specifically)

Jenny-- For UCLA and Boalt it's a moot point. By law, they don't use race-based AA in any case. As a rough proxy, they use socio-economic disadvantage-based AA. [And mods: How about moving this to the AA board? We all know where this thread is headed......]

Javert,

Are UC Davis and Hastings like this as well?  I am not too up to date on my California schools I guess.

BTW, I never had the chance to congratualte you, but you've got some awesome choices there!  Congrats!

All the UC system schools are bound by the Prop 209 prohibition of race-based admissions policies.  However, Hastings has been most successful in skirting that requirement with the LEOP program.  As Javert pointed out, at least on paper, they focus on socio-economic disadvantage, which nets them a healthy number of the URM's they wouldn't be able to admit strictly based on race/ethnicity.

NYKnicks

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 12:09:12 AM »
A "low" score is a "URM" in itself if it is out of the school's normal range.

Damn I wish my mom had married a Mexican.

No you don't.

Infoolio

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 12:13:19 AM »
Moderator please move topic!

ilsox7

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 12:19:39 AM »
All the UC system schools are bound by the Prop 209 prohibition of race-based admissions policies.  However, Hastings has been most successful in skirting that requirement with the LEOP program.  As Javert pointed out, at least on paper, they focus on socio-economic disadvantage, which nets them a healthy number of the URM's they wouldn't be able to admit strictly based on race/ethnicity.

Very helpful, as usual Ruskie.  Thanks!

Jennaye

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 12:29:13 AM »
Thanks for the info all; this wasn't intended to be a question about/attack on AA; I was just curious what people thought were the reasons why people with scores similar to mine would be offered admission.  My best guess was that they're URMs.  But I think that's just my pessimism setting in...

Ruskie girl.. what do you think set your application apart from the rest?

TLFKARG

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 12:31:43 AM »
Thanks for the info all; this wasn't intended to be a question about/attack on AA; I was just curious what people thought were the reasons why people with scores similar to mine would be offered admission.  My best guess was that they're URMs.  But I think that's just my pessimism setting in...

Perhaps my life experience, perhaps my unique cultural perspective...but who really knows?  I am not going to presume that the admission committee values the same things that I may value.

TUNA

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 12:36:30 AM »

Perhaps my life experience, perhaps my unique cultural perspective...but who really knows?  I am not going to presume that the admission committee values the same things that I may value.

Spare the BS. It's because you're a URM (Russian immigrant). This is obvious to everyone except you.

FLAME ON ROOSKIE! YELL YELL YELL AT ME BECAUSE TUNA DOESNT CARE

Jennaye

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 12:41:48 AM »

Instead of just screwing the gardener when Dad's out of town?

I wish.. then I'd at least have a hermano or hermana menor

TLFKARG

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 12:45:01 AM »

Spare the BS. It's because you're a URM (Russian immigrant). This is obvious to everyone except you.

FLAME ON ROOSKIE! YELL YELL YELL AT ME BECAUSE TUNA DOESNT CARE

I could be wrong, but it appears that in this instance it is you who is flaming.  HTH.

'lit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 12:55:38 AM »

Instead of just screwing the gardener when Dad's out of town?

ahahahaha
i can see the personal statement now-- "i was raised white, but i don't much resemble my dad. the truth is i'm pretty sure my mom was having a thing with the poolboy. one of my first memories is daddy storming out of the house and throwing his gin and tonic at jose and telling him to take his pool-net and chlorine kit and his speedo and never set foot on our estate again. mum has a couple of pictures of jose, though, and when i ask how come i have dark hair she says something about my grandmother but she gets really PO'd when i press her with more questions. that's why i checked URM on my application."