Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?  (Read 24061 times)

Jennaye

are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?
« on: February 03, 2005, 11:00:56 PM »
So I've been looking over the GPA/LSAT charts of applicants/acceptances (for Berkeley and UCLA, specifically) and despite my crappy LSAT score (160), some people in my LSAT/GPA range (3.84 GPA) and even those below my LSAT range were in fact accepted to each school.  (about 15% with my stats, in fact).

Are those who were accepted all URMs?

Why would they accept people with lower LSAT scores while rejecting people with 170+?  I'd like to think it's because they've got outstanding recommendations, extracurriculars, and academic honors (like I do) but I'm still not holding out hope.

Infoolio

Re: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 11:39:08 PM »
So I've been looking over the GPA/LSAT charts of applicants/acceptances (for Berkeley and UCLA, specifically) and despite my crappy LSAT score (160), some people in my LSAT/GPA range (3.84 GPA) and even those below my LSAT range were in fact accepted to each school.  (about 15% with my stats, in fact).

Why would they accept people with lower LSAT scores while rejecting people with 170+?  I'd like to think it's because they've got outstanding recommendations, extracurriculars, and academic honors (like I do) but I'm still not holding out hope.

Because schools have another hundred non-URM applicants with the same numbers (diversity is important to all schools)

As for rejecting people with 170+, what were the other factors? Berkeley for one likes to be diverse, and you'll see they don't have an autoadmit range like others do. A lot of them (including being URM) DO have outstanding EC/LOR/WE history, like working in the field where a lot of 170+ are rich kids straight out of a parents-paid-for Ivy undergrad.

I'd say you have a decent shot at either of those schools. Both like GPA a lot and are willing to forgive LSAT to an extent.

Jennaye

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 11:53:15 PM »
Damn I wish my mom had married a Mexican.

Infoolio

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 11:56:43 PM »

It's easy to think of it that way, though incorrect. When you look at the fact that you are clumped with a hundred other non-URMs with the same numbers, extra curriculars, letters of recommendation, work experience, et cetera, and the admit is given to the URM it's rather unfair to say they 'stole' your spot.  Odds are heavily against you getting the spot anyway, since you'd probably lose it to a non-URM.

2c

Jennaye

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 11:58:57 PM »

It's easy to think of it that way, though incorrect. When you look at the fact that you are clumped with a hundred other non-URMs with the same numbers, extra curriculars, letters of recommendation, work experience, et cetera, and the admit is given to the URM it's rather unfair to say they 'stole' your spot.  Odds are heavily against you getting the spot anyway, since you'd probably lose it to a non-URM.

I never said that a URM 'stole' my spot.  I just said that I wish my mom'd married a Mexican.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 12:00:39 AM »
(for Berkeley and UCLA, specifically)

Jenny-- For UCLA and Boalt it's a moot point. By law, they don't use race-based AA in any case. As a rough proxy, they use socio-economic disadvantage-based AA. [And mods: How about moving this to the AA board? We all know where this thread is headed......]
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

TLFKARG

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 12:02:04 AM »

I never said that a URM 'stole' my spot.  I just said that I wish my mom'd married a Mexican.

As a non-URM who got into Boalt with a sub-160 LSAT, allow me to advise that this sort of mentality will not help your admissions chances.

ilsox7

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:02:57 AM »
(for Berkeley and UCLA, specifically)

Jenny-- For UCLA and Boalt it's a moot point. By law, they don't use race-based AA in any case. As a rough proxy, they use socio-economic disadvantage-based AA. [And mods: How about moving this to the AA board? We all know where this thread is headed......]

Javert,

Are UC Davis and Hastings like this as well?  I am not too up to date on my California schools I guess.

BTW, I never had the chance to congratualte you, but you've got some awesome choices there!  Congrats!

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 12:04:47 AM »

How ignorant

whiteytighty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 12:07:05 AM »

Instead of just screwing the gardener when Dad's out of town?