Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?  (Read 24070 times)

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
Re: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2005, 04:32:08 PM »
My advice would be  to make a ROCKIN personal statement, AWESOME LORs, get some WE under your belt, etc ... anything to distinguish you from the rest of the "right out of undergrad, white person from the 'burbs, 3.5+/165+, standard ECs" crowd.

There, happy??? stop diverting. Back to the real issues, once more.

You need to accep t the fact that cultural capital will be more heavily invested in blacks/Latinos who offer multiculturalism and bilingualism, actually growing up bilingual, not merely aquisition of a second language (orthird, etc.) it is not the same thing.

Just get over it that  you don't offer as much to the classroom dynamic and someone who TENDS (not automatically, by any means) to offer more in this vein.

NOW, do you understand me??

If not you need to get punched in the face.

Oh I understand you. But you're wrong.

HTH.

maricutie

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2005, 04:34:09 PM »
My advice would be  to make a ROCKIN personal statement, AWESOME LORs, get some WE under your belt, etc ... anything to distinguish you from the rest of the "right out of undergrad, white person from the 'burbs, 3.5+/165+, standard ECs" crowd.

There, happy??? stop diverting. Back to the real issues, once more.

You need to accep t the fact that cultural capital will be more heavily invested in blacks/Latinos who offer multiculturalism and bilingualism, actually growing up bilingual, not merely aquisition of a second language (orthird, etc.) it is not the same thing.

Just get over it that  you don't offer as much to the classroom dynamic and someone who TENDS (not automatically, by any means) to offer more in this vein.

NOW, do you understand me??

If not you need to get punched in the face.

Wait .. who is this directed to? You quoted me, but I wasn't aware that we were in a personal dialogue.

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2005, 04:34:50 PM »
For me at least, I've found it helpful to display a passion for something and run with it.  For me it's music.  I've involved myself in several musical activities and written about it in both my undergrad and law school PSes, hey it's worked on Georgetown twice now so it can't be all bad right?  I think adcomms all have their own way of thinking and clearly their own critera for what makes someone "different" or "unique"  If you can show that you have a deep interest in something, even if it's not the law, perhaps the adcomms will see that can translate into your success in a legal career.  Just a thought, not an expert, don't have any stats to back up anything that I'm saying.

PS just because I'm not an URM doesn't mean that I have spent my entire life surrounded by whites only has the previous poster vaguely implies.  It is possible for me too to learn from those around me and bring some understanding to the table, even if it is perhaps not the ideal perspective

BigLatinoNYC

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2005, 04:38:02 PM »
PS just because I'm not an URM doesn't mean that I have spent my entire life surrounded by whites only has the previous poster vaguely implies.  It is possible for me too to learn from those around me and bring some understanding to the table, even if it is perhaps not the ideal perspective

Geez...I hop e  you didn't put that in your PS. Every other whitie says dat!!

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2005, 04:38:14 PM »
For me at least, I've found it helpful to display a passion for something and run with it.  For me it's music.  I've involved myself in several musical activities and written about it in both my undergrad and law school PSes, hey it's worked on Georgetown twice now so it can't be all bad right?  I think adcomms all have their own way of thinking and clearly their own critera for what makes someone "different" or "unique"  If you can show that you have a deep interest in something, even if it's not the law, perhaps the adcomms will see that can translate into your success in a legal career.  Just a thought, not an expert, don't have any stats to back up anything that I'm saying.

That's a really good point, too.

This is only sort of related, but here's a question - I was a serious musician through college, so my ECs are primarily about 4 different musical groups, plus music classes, etc. However, after I graduated, I started working full time and doing my master's full time. That barely leaves time to sleep, let alone keep up my music. So I'm afraid that if I write my PS about music, they'll wonder why I haven't done anything with it since UG (after 3 years). Do you think this matters? Should I write about what my MA is in, since it's more recent and more relevant to law school, even if I don't love it as much?

p.s. anyone else think BigLatino isn't even really Latino?

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2005, 04:42:02 PM »

(sigh)  No I didn't put that in my PS, I'm not a moron nor do I think that I am culturally superior to you  or anyone of your race.  Seriously I'm not trying to put you down, if you read up a little in this thread I posted a LOT defending the use of AA. I think you are right about the strong need to include different races and classes in law schools.  My point is that just as you're upset that we're bunching all URMs together, you're bunching all WHITEYS together.  If you're so much better than us, why don't you act better than us and not stoop to pettiness.

maricutie

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2005, 04:43:23 PM »
p.s. anyone else think BigLatino isn't even really Latino?

I sure hope not. Representing quite badly, if I do say so myself.

I think you have a potentially good topic with the music. No need to exclude your master's field, but the music one I like. Different.

BigLatinoNYC

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »
My point is that just as you're upset that we're bunching all URMs together, you're bunching all WHITEYS together

You started it.

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2005, 04:45:53 PM »

This is only sort of related, but here's a question - I was a serious musician through college, so my ECs are primarily about 4 different musical groups, plus music classes, etc. However, after I graduated, I started working full time and doing my master's full time. That barely leaves time to sleep, let alone keep up my music. So I'm afraid that if I write my PS about music, they'll wonder why I haven't done anything with it since UG (after 3 years). Do you think this matters? Should I write about what my MA is in, since it's more recent and more relevant to law school, even if I don't love it as much?

I wrote mine about a specific perfmance I was involved in and how that affected both my undergraduate experience and like my perspective on some things, but yeah I totally know what you mean.  However, just because you aren't in a group, doesn't mean that you aren't playing  ;)  I tried to join a few adult groups around here but most of them have waiting lists!  So far I'm only in at one school, so I can't really say yet whether it's helped, but so far it's not hurting!

Chitown Man

« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »

(sigh)  No I didn't put that in my PS, I'm not a moron nor do I think that I am culturally superior to you  or anyone of your race.  Seriously I'm not trying to put you down, if you read up a little in this thread I posted a LOT defending the use of AA. I think you are right about the strong need to include different races and classes in law schools.  My point is that just as you're upset that we're bunching all URMs together, you're bunching all WHITEYS together.  If you're so much better than us, why don't you act better than us and not stoop to pettiness.

Exactly.

I also defend the use of AA, I just don't believe AA should be solely based on race. 

Saying that a non-white person naturally has more cultural capital than a white person is problematic.  I'm sure, Big Latino, that you do not like anyone making broad generalizations about Latinos.