Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?  (Read 24512 times)

Jennaye

Re: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2005, 02:45:37 PM »
UCLA gives you space on the application to write very specifically about one field, class, journal, or activity in which you hope to participate shuold you gain acceptance. i think any applicant would be foolish not to use that field and try to add something not covered in your PS. i attached a paragraph or two answering the question seriously, which might be why i was so quickly accepted there (one of the first on LSN, i think)

UM, was I stoned when I filled out that app, or did my application NOT have a section like that?

'lit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2005, 03:02:35 PM »
UM, was I stoned when I filled out that app, or did my application NOT have a section like that?

i coudl be confusing with usc, but i don't think so. anyone remember? they only gave 3-5 lines to fill in, so it would have been up to us to add more

(i mentioned elsewhere writing a long optional essay for cornell, and other people didn't remember seeing it-- maybe b/c they also only provided a couple of lines on the app)

whiteytighty

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2005, 03:13:11 PM »

What exactly is "cultural capital" anyway?

It's just another way of honoring diversity at an institution of higher learning.

You ensure that kind of diversity by hiring:

a queer latina marxist

a disabled marxist

an Israel-denouncing jewish marxist

an african american marxist

a transgendered marxist

a curious-bi mr. sensitive white guy marxist

an asian-p-a marxist

It's actually pretty easy to make certain that a rainbow of heritages are honored at your institution.  As long as the faculty is similarly diverse, the students will fall in line, and you can see the results of that 'education' right here on LSD.

Cultural capital is not 'just another way of honoring diversity...' The term 'cultural capital' is a social phenomenon that has been researched and written about by a broad range of economists, philosophers, sociologists, political scientists, etc.  There is a wealth of knowledge about this topic and describing it in such an overly-simplistic and superficial way like the above poster did fails to do the concept justice. 

Appeal to authority?  Bravo!

Actually, my pious friend, I am quite certain that armies of marxist economists, philosophers, et al. have come up with any number of crackpot 'intellectual' schemes to justify their laughable yet pernicious social engineering, of which race preferences are the only the most visible example.  Others include the idea that the reason there are far fewer women in the hard sciences is entirely due to social construction, or that little boys should be discouraged from playing with violent toys.

It all comes down to yet another project in the never-ending struggle to fortify the academic left's endless moral vanity, with little serious thought for what effect it has on the purported beneficiaries.  

Regal_Muse

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2005, 03:20:40 PM »
I'M BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carry on Trolls!  ;D

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2005, 03:26:19 PM »
You are also WAY smart, you have incredible stats!  Congratulations! What the hell was Penn thinking?  They seem to be waitlisting the most qualified people....sorry about the way this thread has denegrated into a discussion of race (partially my own fault admittedly) but I don't think everyone on here is trolling, most are just frustrated not to have stats like yours. I will admit I'm way jealous of your 173  :)

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2005, 03:26:58 PM »

Carry on Trolls!  ;D

That was definitely a helpful addition to this thread. As was the preceding equally pointless attack on academia.

can we please just discuss the topic?

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2005, 03:32:14 PM »

Carry on Trolls!  ;D

pathetic.  this is the second or third time someone has tried to debase the entire discussion by acting as if everyone discussing how to help a non-urm with non-outstanding #'s stand out is trying to attack urm's or bash AA when none of that is being discussed.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2005, 03:34:19 PM »

Not it is not. The rate is higher for whites with low scores. Before you speak do your research.

Would you mind presenting your research?  I'd actually like to know if this is in fact a myth.

Yes, I would like to know this too. I'm going on what I see on LSN, for example. I know that's not a representative sample, but it does show a particular trend. However, if you can show me data that contradicts this, I will reconsider.

What trends have you found in LSN that have led you to this conclusion.  If you check out the BLSD you will notice that everyone has high GPAs and LSAT scores.  
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2005, 03:39:35 PM »
What trends have you found in LSN that have led you to this conclusion.  If you check out the BLSD you will notice that everyone has high GPAs and LSAT scores. 

is that supposed to be your research for where you came to the conclusion below?  if not, just tell us where your research is, we'd love to see it (i mean that, not sarcastically).

Not it is not.  The rate is higher for whites with low scores.  Before you speak do your research.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2005, 03:40:16 PM »

Not it is not. The rate is higher for whites with low scores. Before you speak do your research.

Would you mind presenting your research?  I'd actually like to know if this is in fact a myth.

Yes, I would like to know this too. I'm going on what I see on LSN, for example. I know that's not a representative sample, but it does show a particular trend. However, if you can show me data that contradicts this, I will reconsider.

What trends have you found in LSN that have led you to this conclusion.  If you check out the BLSD you will notice that everyone has high GPAs and LSAT scores.  

What I have found is that if you take a school (I am thinking right now of NYU), then have it list by descending LSAT scores, for example, when you get to the low end of the range - say, 165 and under - every single person who has been accepted with a 165 or less is an URM. I'm not saying that this is a scientific method, just a trend that I noticed. As I said, if you have data to contradict this, I would be very interested in seeing it.

I don't see what the LSAT/GPAs of the students on the BLSD have to do with this. ???