Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?  (Read 25173 times)

ilsox7

Re: are people accepted with low LSAT scores mostly URMs?
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2005, 05:17:10 PM »
yes, very good question.  I tried to paint myself as an "intellectual-radical" -- i.e. research grants, study at Oxford-U, honors thesis, (plus very strong LORs), gov't internship etc. plus my anti-war and drug policy activism.  I tied this into my goal to do joint JD/PhD.  Who knows though, maybe I should have just focused on my activism.  But with a low LSAT score and high GPA, I wanted them to know that I'm capable despite low LSAT

I'm very curious (as I am sure you are!) as to how this works out.  I'm not judging by any means, but one of the few things that every LS book out there says is to leave politics out of your application.  Curious if this is just another myth.

BigLatinoNYC

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2005, 05:17:24 PM »
But if I espoused your opinions you'd welcome me to this board, yes??

BigLatinoNYC

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2005, 05:19:03 PM »
Just ignore this troll..  It's obvious this person is a perfect example of the flaws in race-only based admissions and is not bringing anything in regards to diversity.  Unfortunate for those URM who should receive consideration

But if I parroted what you want to hear, you'd welcome me here wouldnt you??

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2005, 05:19:44 PM »
Well this thread was supposed to be about helpful suggestions for people at a bit of a loss of how to improve their applications, you however are posting on a thread about how non-minorities have no culture or soul and should just get over themselves because they will never be as good as you.  We don't have to all agree, however we should at least all be discussing the same topic.

maricutie

« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »
After thead hominemattack you follow with a non-sequiter. Why do you insist on slighting my "logical cohesiveness in my responses" instead of specifically debating my points in open dialogue??

Well, it would have been an ad hominem attack if we weren't already making it a personal argument. We're about three threads into that already. Likewise, a non sequitur refers to a statement that does not follow logically from what preceded it; given that I'm critiquing the logic of your given statements, this doesn't follow, either. I would love to debate in open dialogue, but it is, in fact, your adversarial responses that haven't made this possible.   

But, seriously, I'm going back to the original topic of this thread now.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2005, 05:23:59 PM »
Well this thread was supposed to be about helpful suggestions for people at a bit of a loss of how to improve their applications, you however are posting on a thread about how non-minorities have no culture or soul and should just get over themselves because they will never be as good as you.  We don't have to all agree, however we should at least all be discussing the same topic.

I totally agree.. As a minority, I'd rather have more whiteys who value diversity than this dipshit who assumes everyone not agreeing with him/her is a bigot.

Jennaye

« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2005, 05:25:19 PM »
yes, very good question.  I tried to paint myself as an "intellectual-radical" -- i.e. research grants, study at Oxford-U, honors thesis, (plus very strong LORs), gov't internship etc. plus my anti-war and drug policy activism.  I tied this into my goal to do joint JD/PhD.  Who knows though, maybe I should have just focused on my activism.  But with a low LSAT score and high GPA, I wanted them to know that I'm capable despite low LSAT

I'm very curious (as I am sure you are!) as to how this works out.  I'm not judging by any means, but one of the few things that every LS book out there says is to leave politics out of your application.  Curious if this is just another myth.

Well, I didn't talk directly about my views, just discussing and reflecting upon my accomplishments as a political organizer/campus leader. I've heard/read that that's exactly what they do want.  Especially since it ties into my long-term goals...

BigLatinoNYC

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2005, 05:25:31 PM »
but it is, in fact, your adversarial responses that haven't made this possible.  

Of course I'm adversarial in my responses, as are most good lawyers. And...I'm still waiting for  your specific critique of the substance of what i"m saying...you have fingers that can go tap,tap, so I'm not making it impossible for  you to debate me.

Jennaye

« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2005, 05:26:49 PM »
Of course I'm adversarial in my responses, as are most good lawyers. And...I'm still waiting for  your specific critique of the substance of what i"m saying...you have fingers that can go tap,tap, so I'm not making it impossible for  you to debate me.

There's a difference between adversarial and menacing.  Don't think it would be too adventageous for you to start off your law career by stealing the opposing side's notes and destroying evidence.

ilsox7

« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2005, 05:27:15 PM »
Well, I didn't talk directly about my views, just discussing and reflecting upon my accomplishments as a political organizer/campus leader. I've heard/read that that's exactly what they do want.  Especially since it ties into my long-term goals...

Gotchya.  I thought you meant that you wrote about being anti-war, etc.  I'd definitely agree that they want to see the good leadership and organization skills you have.  My bad for misunderstanding!