Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian percentage grade to GPA conversion problem  (Read 42909 times)

JumpTheMoon

• View Profile
Re: Canadian percentage grade to GPA conversion problem
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
So they do adjust at LSAC once they get it in? Cause I have a 70 avg, which I thought to be about a 2.9-3.0 and with a high enough LSAT score I should be okay for middle-range schools, but then when I looked at LSDAS that's a 1.33 according to them  :D I am better off taking a job at McDonalds if that's what they send out to the schools.

It's so dumb that our grading system is so different. A 3.5 on the LSDAS scale is almost a 90% avg, I think that's pretty much impossible up here. Well at least at my school, I don't know ANYONE with those kinds of grades. A 79 avg is pretty respectable to me!

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 10:27:56 AM »
yeah high 70's will not convert to a 3.5. It will convert to whatever high 70's is according to LSAC scale. From what I understand, I'm pretty sure American law schools are familiar with the fact that grading systems are different here. They are also different in the UK for example, where getting a first (pretty much the equivalent of an A) is considered a 70 and above and getting above a 70 is for the most part, a really good mark. Our transcripts also go with the LSDAS application so I'm presuming (hoping!) american schools look at this as an indicator more than the GPA scale since it's really not relevant to us. I have an 84 average, and am in the top 10% of my department, and my gpa would convert to  a 3.0 so.....they better look at my transcript! :D

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 01:38:28 PM »
An average of 84% is almost an A-average (in Canada).  It would probably convert to a 3.8, NOT a 3.0.  They don't convert percentages to GPAs - they convert letter grades to GPAs. 

Here is how you can convert your grades to a LSAC GPA:

-covert your percentage grades into letter grades, then GPA grades

63-66 = C  = 2.00
 67-69 = C+ = 2.33
 70-72 = B- = 2.67
 73-76 = B  = 3.00
 77-79 = B+ = 3.33
 80-84 = A- = 3.67
 85-89 = A  = 4.00
 90-100 = A+ = 4.33

-sum those numbers
-divide by the total number of classes you took
-the result is your LSAC GPA
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »
yeah, that was my big question. All my UG classes at my degree granting institution are A grades, thus I have a 4.0 there, and my first year grades (from another school which were poorer) have brought my overall gpa down

IHeartNewYork

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 04:30:53 PM »
I was pretty worried when I sent my transcripts in since at my school, like many in Canada, an 80% is an A (which would be a 4.0) but for LSDAS an 80 is like a 2.7 I think haha...

However my transcript had both letter grades and percentages listed, and LSAC converted from the letters in that case (ex., for a class I got a 85/A in, LSAC counted it as a 4). I've got mostly 80's/A's and ended up with a 3.78, so it worked out fine.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is in a similar situation  ;D

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »
ah glad it worked out so high for your I heart NY! I got my final summer transcript in and right now I'm sitting with a 3.63 LSAC GPA and a 4.00 UGPA so it's not too bad, and I think since I have 4 years in between, my UGPA will hopefully carry more weight

cdninoc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »
I'm Canadian and recently relocated to Orange County to work but now, I'm thinking about applying to law school here.  I converted my grades from Western and here is what I got:
OMSAS 3.78
LSDAS 2.72
According to comotellamas' scale, I would get 3.86!!!  How true are these numbers?  Please help!  I really hope it's going to be 3.86 GPA that will be counted.   :'( ???

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »
I don't know what OMSAS is, but the LSDAS GPA is what counts. 

Which OC are you working in?  Cali?  NY? 

How do you like the States?

cdninoc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 04:21:33 AM »
hey,
I live in sunny California of course.  LOL.  If I wanted the winter, I might as well stay put in Toronto.  Anyhow, where did you get that scale that you posted, comotellamas?  And yes, I love it here although always miss the friends and family back home. 

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:54 AM »
Go to LSAC.org and you'll find it.