Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian percentage grade to GPA conversion problem  (Read 42335 times)

piika

• View Profile
Canadian percentage grade to GPA conversion problem
« on: February 03, 2005, 07:25:11 PM »
Is there anyone else around here who ran into major problems when their undergrad percentage grades in Canada got converted into a GPA according to LSDAS's scale?

I did my undergrad at Queen's University in electrical engineering. My cumulative average is in the high 70s, and I ranked about 20 out of 100. My transpcript only shows percentage grades, not letter ones. I'm thinking of applying to both U.S. and Canadian law schools. According to LSDAS's guidline, my percentage grade would convert only to a 2-point-something GPA, which is horribly low by U.S. standards. Queen's Applied Science Faculty absolutely refuses to convert my percentage grades to letter grades on my transcript.

What makes this even worse is that Queen's DOES issue letter grades for non-engineering students. So my GPA would look really bad on the LSDAS report compared to other Queen's applicants.

Has anyone else ran into a similar problem? Would anyone really care to read an addendum explaining this if my GPA is so low? I'm not exactly aiming for Harvard or Yale, but I won't even try applying to law schools if I can't get into a reasonable one.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian percentage grade to GPA conversion problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 12:04:13 PM »
I've talked to a lot of people who are applying to the US, and pretty much everyone had no problem with their GPA being converted.  That said, the best way to find out is send your transcripts to LSAC.

piika

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 01:49:45 PM »
Thanks for your reply! I understand that if my transcript shows both letter and percentage grades, then the GPA will be calculated using only the letter grades. But my transcript ONLY shows percentage grades. My faculty refuses to issue letter grades. So according to LSDAS's scale, I would only have something like a 2.5 GPA (my cumulative average is in the high 70s). Is there no way of getting around this?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 05:46:05 PM »
yes - but LSDAS knows canadian GPA's are different, and can't be converted using that scale.  As far as I know, you need not worry.

piika

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 11:36:55 AM »
That's a great relief to hear. I did call LSAC last week but the person who spoke to me didn't have a clue about the Canadian system and wouldn't let me explain anything. She said the U.S. conversion system is "fair" and must be followed. Thanks a lot for your information - sounds like I still have hope! I will send in my transcript and see.

J2K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 02:42:34 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm applying to schools in the US starting September 2007, has anyone else had any experience with the LSDAS Canadian conversions?

Thanks!

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »
I believe that in cases of percentage grades, each class grade is calculated into a letter grade and they are added up to form a cumulative GPA. 85%+ A, 80-84% A-, etc.  LSAC should have a chart somewhere that shows you how to convert each one of your grades and then you can put them into a GPA calculator and it should give you your overall GPA. 

The good news is you have a valid reason to write an addendum helping to explain your GPA. 

The bad news:
"but LSDAS knows canadian GPA's are different, and can't be converted using that scale.  As far as I know, you need not worry."

This is incorrect.  While SOME schools might understand, or be made to understand by your addendum, that your Canadian grades in this case have been calculated differently, they must none-the-less report your LSAC GPA for statistical purposes (U.S News rankings) which will make it difficult to be admitted to a top-tier school. 

I would contact LSAC and see if there is anyone there who can help you with the specifics of your case.  This isn't to say you're completely screwed.  A strong LSAT, softs and a good addendum can still give you a fighting chance.

Good luck   

rpk8785

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 06:29:52 PM »
Buddy with high 70's from Queen's, you've got a B - it would be the same from any other faculty at the university.  Face it, those marks are not going to get you into a reasonable law school in the US unless you're a URM or have an incredibly sick LSAT.

J2K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 03:31:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is just an update for anyone who is concerned about their GPA as their transcript goes off to be evaluated in the black-box process @ LSAC...

My University of Waterloo transcript was evaluated last week, and my GPA out of 4.0 ended up fairly close to what I predicted according to the Ontario standards.

This might be a different result from what your own school, but it may be of some comfort to know that we get marks out of 100 here, with no letter grades.

Good luck all, in the next few months!

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:13:40 AM »
Buddy with high 70's from Queen's, you've got a B - it would be the same from any other faculty at the university.  Face it, those marks are not going to get you into a reasonable law school in the US unless you're a URM or have an incredibly sick LSAT.

high 70s will convert roughly to a 3.3-3.5. This gives the OP a great shot at a number of schools. And I know that Queen's eng has the no letter-grade problem on the transcripts. I would assume they would just handle it the way they handle non-eng Queen's. Just send it in and dont worry about it.