Law School Discussion

$$$$ at Ohio State

Re: $$$$ at Ohio State
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 08:48:25 AM »
What are you planning to do Murky? 

Ohio State is my first choice as well, so now I have to make some tough calls as to whether or not I want to take on that much debt.  In the long run I think it will be worth it, but they aren't making it easy on me.  Somebody needs to start milking that cash cow at OSU. 

Byronic - In which state do you reside?

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 08:56:09 AM »
I got my acceptance a few days ago, a letter asking to confirm my place in the law school class yesterday, and still no word on financial aid.  I'm an out-of-stater really interested in attending THE Ohio State University.  Hopefully they'll come through with some reasonable package....how important are stats in determining aid?  I mean, if everyone going is pretty much qualified and all

murkydreamer

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 09:17:12 AM »
Byronic: Obviously less debt is better, but I'm willing to take on more debt if it means I'll be going to a good school where I'll be  very happy at.  For a variety of reasons, OSU isn't at the top of my list...although I haven't been accepted anywhere else that I'd clearly rather go to.  Right now it's sort of a toss up with Northeastern...the fact that I can get in-state tuition after my first year at OSU is a big plus, however I'm not sure how much I want to be in Columbus/Ohio (for law school or after).  My friends who went to OSU for undergrad loved it though and I'm originally from the state so being close to home could be a good thing.  I will likely go visit March/April unless my acceptance situation changes. 

Probonolaw: It was a couple weeks between receiving my acceptance package in the mail and getting the scholarship $, so don't fret if you don't hear anything immediately.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 09:29:38 AM »
I am a Utah resident, Paperback; however, that is because I attended BYU.  I am originally from Columbus (my family has never left) and consider myself an Ohio resident whether or not any Ohio schools recognize that.

Probono, I called the financial aid office to inquire over that very thing, whether stats are the determining factor, and she basically told me that they were indeed the primary consideration.  I have a MA and they told me that was a "small" factor.  With Ohio State being more selective this year, my stats have moved from the upper half to the upper mid-range, subsequently making it more difficult to beat out some of those with higher stats for aid, no matter how good your story is.

By the way it took two weeks for me to hear about aid.  It came snail mail.

Murky, you're right on about debt.  I sat down and crunching the stats figured that although Ohio State will cost me more, in the long run it will pay for itself in more earning power out of law school.  Furthermore, there are the intangibles that come with being surrounded by family members.  I too am a little intimidated by the downtown/urban campus.  I heard parking is a female dog.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 09:30:51 AM »
Murky - That co-op option at Northeastern sounds sweet! 

ct_rdr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 09:35:34 AM »

Murky, you're right on about debt. I sat down and crunching the stats figured that although Ohio State will cost me more, in the long run it will pay for itself in more earning power out of law school. Furthermore, there are the intangibles that come with being surrounded by family members. I too am a little intimidated by the downtown/urban campus. I heard parking is a female dog.

Parking DOES suck. And I don't, personally, care for the downtown/urban campus. But, it isn't intimidating - you will do wonderful. Have confidence!!!

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 09:37:24 AM »

Murky, you're right on about debt. I sat down and crunching the stats figured that although Ohio State will cost me more, in the long run it will pay for itself in more earning power out of law school. Furthermore, there are the intangibles that come with being surrounded by family members. I too am a little intimidated by the downtown/urban campus. I heard parking is a female dog.

Parking DOES suck. And I don't, personally, care for the downtown/urban campus. But, it isn't intimidating - you will do wonderful. Have confidence!!!

The parking does suck -- unless you splurge and buy the parking garage pass.

Once you are on campus, and get the lay of the land down, it's really not so bad.  I took my LSAT at OSU, by the way.

ct_rdr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 09:56:02 AM »

The parking does suck -- unless you splurge and buy the parking garage pass.

Once you are on campus, and get the lay of the land down, it's really not so bad. I took my LSAT at OSU, by the way.

In december '04?

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 09:57:35 AM »
In december '04?

Yes - 12/04.  You?

ct_rdr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 10:01:10 AM »
Same. I was really happy about the change of location. I ended up getting a wondow seat (left-handed) and got to sit everything on the windowsill to free up desk space. The proctors were two college girls who just sat there reading vogue and stuff. They didn't care about anything, but the atmosphere was really good.