Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Generation Graduate  (Read 1691 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: First Generation Graduate
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:12:33 AM »
Many applications ask this question directly.  I think that the schools feel guilty for admitting so many "legacy" students in the past and are trying to let people like us in as a public service.  If you get a "thumb on the scale" for being a URM, you should certainly get one for being the first person in your family to graduate college.  I have a friend who got into a top 5 school with low LSAT for the URM, but her grandfather was a doctor, her parents both had college degrees and she has a trust fund!  She says she feels like she wouldn't have gotten in otherwise and she isn't happy about that. 

I think that it's a lot harder to go to college when your family has no clue what you are getting into and even more difficult to go to LS. 

maricutie

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 01:14:13 PM »
It can only help; it would probably be more effective, as Javert mentioned, if it was in the context of SES or financial hardship. Keep in mind that in our parents' generation one could do a whole hell of a lot with just a HS diploma.

Dazed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 07:54:02 PM »
I'm sure that being the first person to graduate in your family would be seen as an accomplishment.  When you grow up without that expectation, yet manage to graduate anyway, you have overcome the odds. 
If you can write the PS in such a way as to demonstrate that this was a huge personal triumph, then that is how they will see it.
It's a plus, particularly if you can show a pattern of SES disadvantage. Don't expect it to be a URM-level boost, but it counts.
Sure they care but I wouldn't build my app around that fact (in case you're thinking about doing this).

I find it easier to copy/paste others' comments in a manner to demonstrate what I would have said myself. ;)

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 08:46:09 PM »
Sure they care but I wouldn't build my app around that fact (in case you're thinking about doing this). First gen college grads aren't really that rare or special. If you've done great things than being the first to go to college makes your accomplishments that much more special but it doesn't itself give you much boost IMO.

just remember this, this is the advice from a clown.  crusty, it's a little difficult taking what you say seriously with the clown outfit on...

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 10:49:17 PM »
I am also a first gen grad (BA and MA). I mentioned it in my personal statement to help make a few points that I was trying to make about family and family life. But, I did not focus on it as an integral part of my PS. I figured that mentioning it could not hurt, but I do not think that mentioning that alone is going to get someone into a school that their numbers would prevent them from getting into.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

andrenna

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 01:09:22 AM »
i'm also a first generation hs graduate and college graduate. i wrote about it in my personal statement. i'm also thinking about applying for special admissions, because of socioeconomic hardships... but i don't know about that. it seems like other kids probably had it harder than i do. on the other hand, i feel like i've worked hard and overcame a lot of things in order to graduate.  ??? does anyone have any thoughts on applying through special admissions?

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 09:55:27 PM »
What is special admissions?
I too am a first time high school grad, let alone college grad planning on law school. I was adopted, and my parents both had to srop out of high school for WWII, my dad forged birth certificate to get into the Navy, and ended up getting wounded at Normandy, and my mom had to work in the steel mills as a metalurgist. When I was getting ready to graduate high school, my mom told me that it was a waste of time and money to go to college, she said that I didn't amount to anything anyways, and that college isn't important, she was SOO against me going, but here I am getting ready to graduate. She only helped with my first year, then decided that she owed nothing to me, since having adopted me was enough. Now she tells me that law school is not worth it, because I would never be a good lawyer anyways, but I know she is wrong, because I have come this far already, without her help.
Should I include any of this in my personal statement? Is special admissions something I should look into?

A.J

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 09:57:44 PM »
If its part of your story and you fit it into your personal statement then it most certainly could be a factor to them in deciding to admit you or not admit you.

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 03:50:15 PM »
i wonder what it would have been like in a family of college/grad school graduates.  i wouldn't change my family for a second...just wonder!

LOL. I do that too. I'm like the male Lisa Simpson of my family. I used to wonder whether other families sat around the dinner table and debated politics and the finer points of the allegory of the cave...*sigh*!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 12:08:39 PM »
Here is a funny/pitiful story about my family:

My mother lost 85% of her hearing as a child and is almost deaf w/out hearing aids and misses a lot with them.  She has never worked b/c of this and feeling like she can't catch on as quickly as others.  When we talk on the phone, she misses things and just doesn't understand the whole "college thing". 

When I went back to finish college and started talking about law school, she kept thinking I was already in and told her friends I would be a lawyer soon.  Since she lives far away, they didn't know any better.  The last time I visited, everyone in their very small town (1,400) kept calling me "Lawyer Karen".  LOL!

I have almost given up on explaining the process to her....she just doesn't get it!