Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are indices more important/indicative later in the application cycle?  (Read 334 times)

Kait

• View Profile
I've heard rumors that as it gets later in the application cycle, schools tend to rely more heavily on their index when reviewing applications and give less consideration to "soft factors" like PS, recs, WE because of the volume of applications with which they are dealing and the associated time crunch.

Do you think there is any truth to this?

long ago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are indices more important/indicative later in the application cycle?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 09:34:51 PM »
I certainly hope so.... unless they like my soft factors, but I wouldn't mind if they went on index a lot.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 09:50:38 PM »
I do think that when it gets deep into the admission cycle, schools do not spend as much time looking at an application then they would earlier in the cycle. I have never heard anyone say whether or not this idea is true.

My guess is that schools may focus a bit more on the numbers, at least they are not going to be as charatiable with applications that are below the usual admit numbers. People who are relying on their soft factors to get in may get shafted, but soft factors are still used when comparing similar candidates for admission.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 10:32:22 PM »
I don't think applying later in the cycle hurts an applicant.  A couple schools have told me so, and then I go over and look at LSN.  Most of the borderline people seem to either be deferred or waiting for a decision.  Why?  Because schools want to see their whole applicant pool before they decide.