Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best law schools in the South?  (Read 24851 times)

thepinkdragon76

• View Profile
Re:Best law schools in the South?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2004, 01:22:21 AM »
No Stetson should not be on the list.  It is a good school, but not great.  Vanderbilt and UNC Chapel Hill should be though.

So here is a hypothetical for you.

Lets say that someone gets accpeted to Duke but has to take out loans to pay for it and has to relocate to attend school

AND

They also get accpeted to Stetson with a full 3 yr scholarship and its five minutes from their current place of residence where they pay no rent.

This person can't decide whether or not they want to become a prosecutor or go the international law route. Huge loans could be the difference.

What would you do?

CourtJester

• View Profile
Re: Best law schools in the South?
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2004, 02:26:54 AM »
Go to Duke, no question about it. There shouldn't even be a second thought. Duke is a top-notch school recognized around the US - a Duke degree is well respected wherever you go. A person is a stud/studette when they have a Duke law degree. You can be a player with that.

Stetson is a non-entity school and living with a non-entity law degree should only be done if that's the best a person can do...not because it is the easiest. When the difference in quality is as big as Duke vs. Stetson, money does not matter. The Duke degree is worth every dollar and all the tears you shed to get it.

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2004, 02:40:11 AM »
The Bristol Short-track is not in Virginia.  It's in Bristol, Tennessee.

GO #8!

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2004, 03:08:29 AM »
I believe Univ. of Georgia and Emory University are among the best in the "Deep South."

For law I would say they are ok.  Obviously not as prestigious as going to Yale or Harvard.  But a whole lot cheaper.  Especially if you live here.  Because you have the Hope Scholarship.  Which pays all of your tuition costs no matter what.  Which has actually made it harder now to get in.  Because everyone and there brother can afford it.

UGA I would have to say is more known for taking in kids who graduate and don't know what they want to do.  Then later on decide or flunk out.  Half of my class is going to UGA because it's just the place to go.  But the ones who already have stuff planned out usually want to major in Biology to move on to Med School or Vet School.

Emory is more known for being a Medical school.  People who I know going there (The VERY Few as in 1) want to major in Biology and then go to Pre Med.

I'm not sure about GSU's (Georgia State University, Not Georgia Southern) Law program.  I can ask though.  I know many people going there.

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2004, 03:15:12 AM »
Summary- VA is a state of many cultures, but the prevailing one is Southern, and any others are imports due to the capital

I agree.  I lived in VA for 7years.  20 miles south of D.C. in a town called Woodbridge.  And it can be very southern.  I have lived in Georgia now for 8 years and feel like I see more "Yankees" down here than up there.  And the funny thing is when you live in Virginia it seems like the locals consider thereselves southerners.  And even the yankees call themselves "Damn Yankees" because they feel they have adopted the southern lifestyle.

Now when you go into the country in the north I have never seem so many Rednecks in my life.  It freaks me out sometimes.  I feel that they got lost and ended up there by accident.

If you want to find some True Southerners you need to go to Savannah, Georgia.  That place is lost in time.  If you ever watch the movie or read the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" it can be exactly like that.

ccptexas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2004, 12:04:14 PM »
while duke and vanderbilt are undeniably wonderful schools, the southern school with the highest ranking is the univ of texas.  vanderbilt is #17, duke is, i think, in the 20's, and utexas is #14.

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2004, 12:21:56 PM »
Actually, according to USNews Duke is #10 and Texas is #15.  However, seeing that the Mason-Dixon line has been the long standing border between the "North and South", Virginia is #9 and technically in the south.  ;D
Jason

lexylit

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2004, 12:55:25 PM »
oddly, living on the west coast, when i meet people from virginia or DC and i tell them from the east coast (meaning boston) they say, me too!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2004, 12:56:41 PM »
oddly, living on the west coast, when i meet people from virginia or DC and i tell them from the east coast (meaning boston) they say, me too!

why is this odd?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

ccptexas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2004, 07:44:53 PM »
sorry about my erronious rankings...at one point, being the obsessive law school applicant that i was six months ago, i had them all memorized.  anyway, i guess i have forgotten a few.  i think, however, that you would be fine--in fact that you would be well off--going to any of those schools.
 :)  best,
caroline