Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best law schools in the South?  (Read 24892 times)

lexylit

Re: Best law schools in the South?
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2004, 07:56:48 PM »
why is this odd?

oops. guess it is i who am odd.

rcjackson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2004, 02:02:59 AM »
The Bristol Short-track is not in Virginia.  It's in Bristol, Tennessee.

GO #8!

never noticed that you replied before...long story why i'm looking back here...bristol, tn IS bristol, va and vice-versa.  Hence I put the disclaimer.  It's the same damn town, and I call it home!

Val16

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2004, 07:01:42 PM »
Dante: My aunt in an attorney in Cullman and says that if you are looking to stay in ALA then Cumberland is a very well respected choice.  She also says that they give out lots of money, so apply early to maximize your chances. ;)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2004, 12:48:27 PM »
why is this odd?

oops. guess it is i who am odd.

They are two completely different things, but technically both are the east coast.  I would say northeast or something.  If only the lower coast would realize that it's the upper half to which people usually refer.

gobears

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2004, 04:18:07 PM »
How y'all doin'?!  I'm fixin' to become a Southerner one of these days!  Doggone it!

dimitr17

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2004, 10:07:49 PM »
i mean, guys.. why are we kidding ourselves
we all know the best schools in the south and who they are
it's just that we are trying to make ourselves feel better by raising opinions of other lesser known schools, where we would probably end up going, and not feel so bad about not getting into one of those regional powerhouses..

zeroaffinity

• Sr. Citizen
  • would I ask you a rhetorical question?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2004, 05:24:49 AM »
Being in and from Atlanta, and having some ties to the legal community, I'd have to say that Emory, UGA, Vandy, and Duke probably have the strongest names down here. I don't know how visible UGA is nationally, but I would imagine the other three are pretty well known. My .02...

madeinireland

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2004, 07:44:08 PM »
Recently, I read somewhere that the big five law firms in Atlanta hired more Emory graduates than any other school.  Of course, people from other schools might not look in atlanta as much.  Just wanted to offer that piece of information.

GoDawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2004, 05:11:54 PM »
I am a GA resident and I want to stay in the South.  I have applied to Wake, Emory, Vandy, and UGA (among others).  I will go to UGA even if I get in to all those schools.  I see no point in spending 150K over three years when I can spend 8K a year at UGA.  I doubt my chances will be much better getting a good job in the south with the others--at least not enough to justify the increase in price.  I think that if you live in GA, AL, NC, or VA and you want to stay in the south, it is silly to go anywhere but your state school.

And ps...VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL are all the east coast--it was not until I moved up north that I realized that people don't consider it the east coast, because clearly, if you look at a map, it is.

desi

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2004, 11:42:42 PM »
I am a GA resident and I want to stay in the South.  I have applied to Wake, Emory, Vandy, and UGA (among others).  I will go to UGA even if I get in to all those schools.  I see no point in spending 150K over three years when I can spend 8K a year at UGA.  I doubt my chances will be much better getting a good job in the south with the others--at least not enough to justify the increase in price.  I think that if you live in GA, AL, NC, or VA and you want to stay in the south, it is silly to go anywhere but your state school.

And ps...VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL are all the east coast--it was not until I moved up north that I realized that people don't consider it the east coast, because clearly, if you look at a map, it is.

you will be at a slight disadvantage at the biglaw firms in Atlanta.  however, at midsized and small firms you will have an edge over Emory because local midsize and small firms think my classmates are snob/elitists and are just passing time before heading back north.  UGA is a good school though.  Some firms also like GSU grads, especially AGG.  This is, of course, strictly the Atlanta market I am talking about.