Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st Acceptance - Gonzaga!  (Read 2721 times)

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1st Acceptance - Gonzaga!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 12:57:50 AM »
Hey all,

I happen to be a first year at Gonzaga and would be willing to take any questions/concerns about what life is really like in Spokane or what the classes are actually like.

Do you know how Gonzaga places as far as employment?  Considering they are competing with Univ.Washington and Seattle U, not to mention Univ.Idaho, and all the Oregon schools, it seems to the casual prospective student such as myself that the chances are slim.  It would be nice to get your opinion on this though.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 01:17:26 AM »
Hey all,

I happen to be a first year at Gonzaga and would be willing to take any questions/concerns about what life is really like in Spokane or what the classes are actually like.

What is Spokane like? 

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2005, 01:25:14 AM »
Congrats to all of you getting in to Gonzaga. However, I would encourage you to try to find other options (unless your heart is set on Gonzaga). My aunt went to Gomzaga and graduated Cum Laude. She was on Law Review and everything. She also has her PhD so she's obviously a smart woman. She chose Gonzaga because she lived in Spokane with her husband who was in the military and a young child. Unfortunately, she never passed the Washington State or California State bars after trying each 4+ times. She enjoyed her law school experience, but she's a teacher now and not a lawyer. Is it worth it to go to law school if that's how you'll end up? I'm sure her story is not the usual, but I have a hard time believing that the school could be that strong when someone as smart and successful as my aunt couldn't pass the bar with a Gonzaga education. And this is why, I'll be the first lawyer in my family. . .

Sorry to rain on your parade, if you choose Gonzaga, please prove me wrong!

Congrats again on the acceptances and the money!

You know this is very interesting...I know the Cali Bar is difficult from the many horror stories I've heard, but you know, now that I think of it, I have met only 2 minority attorneys since I've lived here.  I've been inside a lot of courtrooms and the only minorities I see are the ones facing the judge.  Sad, but very much true in this state. I don't think that has anything specifically to do with Gonzaga, I just don't know what the answer is... :-\

Have you ever been to WA? 

Perversely,

hcnate

• B.S. Management, Purdue University - Gonzaga Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 02:42:47 PM »
To tackle a couple questions:

First - JackInTheBox - I think you would find that as a Gonzaga graduate you would have more opportunities than UIdaho, from my understanding.  In terms of SeattleU, while albeit a lower "tier" ranking according to U.S. News, it compares favorably.  The bar passage rate and state respect for the school (which are probably more important) are as high, if not higher in both departments.  Many of my contemporaries have had little trouble finding work in firms in Seattle, particularly in botique firms.  In the Spokane area, it seems practically automatic in terms of placement, as long as you do your homework and don't totally slack off academically.

Second - Perversely - Spokane is a great, up and coming city.  While the economic conditions depressed the town in the late 1980s, there has been an economic infusion lately for downtown renovations to buildings.  I am by far not a local and have only been here 8 months.  I do enjoy it.  In addition to that, Gonzaga and the clout it carries within the state legislature, have given an infusion to the community around the University.  Also, it is gorgeous.  Mountains abound, tons of skiing, trails, lakes etc. for outside activities.

On a note about bar passage rates - everyone takes a class after graduation, regardless of where you go.  It should just be something that is mandated by any university.  Depending upon whether you take the class or not, thats your decision, but probably has something to with the rates of some schools versus others (like percentage of students who do take a bar class).

If you have anything else, feel free to ask.

kaligrrl79

• AOL Instant Messenger - kaligrrl79
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 03:28:56 PM »
While I do not personally go to law school at Gonzaga, my boyfriend does and I have been there twice. I am from So Cal so my opinion of Spokane may be bias but...it is NOT the place to go if you are looking for a city. 5:00 p.m in downtown is more like a ghost town. I would best describe it as "quaint". But in my honest opinion, there is no way I could spend 3 years of my life there. My boyfriend complains that the law school is like a small gossipy high school. But that's just one opinion. Upside...the law school building is very nice.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2005, 03:29:54 PM »
just remember that the first A is LONG.