Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st Acceptance - Gonzaga!  (Read 2686 times)

nicoley013

• View Profile
Re: 1st Acceptance - Gonzaga!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 09:29:59 PM »
Just got accepted to Gonzaga... and is my first acceptance as well.  Got 7,000 scholarship money.  What does everyone think of gonzaga as a law school and can anyone tell me about the city itself?  Ive never even been to the state! Im from the North East, and leary about going to a school that ive never been to the state.

Montanahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 10:35:34 PM »
If you're from the NE, you'll recognize the heart of Spokane. It's kind of a gritty city that is past it's prime. It IS a city, with theatre, restaurants, pubs, a nice downtown park full of green. But it is decidely not a seattle or a portland. It's kind of like Albany, NY. You do have close access to the mountains and rivers, but you are across a desert landscape from seattle and the west coast. I would say it's more like an everyman's city than a bustling west coast metropolis. What are you looking for in a city? Gonzaga is a decent school.
Hell, yeah: U. Montana, West Virginia, Gonzaga $, Willamette, Vermont Law School
Hell, no: U.Oregon
Hell, waitlisted:Seattle

nicoley013

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 10:46:51 AM »
Thanks for the info, that helps alot.  I think I am looking for more of a Seattle, NYC, Philadelphia type of city.  But Its my only acceptance so far so I can't be too picky yet I guess.  I am concerned of how good the school is and what type of job i can expect upon graduating from there.  What type of reputation does it have and what are the majority of there graduates doing presently?  Also, I saw only 0.4% of their students are fron the northeast, which means like one person, is there anyway I would be able to get money from them to visit since Ive never been to that state before ( I mean other than the 200 dollars they gave me for visiting that would go on my credit for the fall sememster)?

Montanahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »
I honestly don't know what the majority of their grads are doing - maybe their website breaks it down? I would say most grads stay regionally. Or give them a call? The law school would give you your basic degree, from what I understand. It's just another third tier program that I too am considering. I do think the fact that they are catholic would deliver a program focused on public interest law...as for money, call and ask. They are private, catholic and can afford to fly you in!! Good luck!
Hell, yeah: U. Montana, West Virginia, Gonzaga $, Willamette, Vermont Law School
Hell, no: U.Oregon
Hell, waitlisted:Seattle

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 02:02:25 AM »
Congrats to all of you getting in to Gonzaga. However, I would encourage you to try to find other options (unless your heart is set on Gonzaga). My aunt went to Gomzaga and graduated Cum Laude. She was on Law Review and everything. She also has her PhD so she's obviously a smart woman. She chose Gonzaga because she lived in Spokane with her husband who was in the military and a young child. Unfortunately, she never passed the Washington State or California State bars after trying each 4+ times. She enjoyed her law school experience, but she's a teacher now and not a lawyer. Is it worth it to go to law school if that's how you'll end up? I'm sure her story is not the usual, but I have a hard time believing that the school could be that strong when someone as smart and successful as my aunt couldn't pass the bar with a Gonzaga education. And this is why, I'll be the first lawyer in my family. . .

Sorry to rain on your parade, if you choose Gonzaga, please prove me wrong!

Congrats again on the acceptances and the money!

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 03:13:17 AM »
Congrats to all of you getting in to Gonzaga. However, I would encourage you to try to find other options (unless your heart is set on Gonzaga). My aunt went to Gomzaga and graduated Cum Laude. She was on Law Review and everything. She also has her PhD so she's obviously a smart woman. She chose Gonzaga because she lived in Spokane with her husband who was in the military and a young child. Unfortunately, she never passed the Washington State or California State bars after trying each 4+ times. She enjoyed her law school experience, but she's a teacher now and not a lawyer. Is it worth it to go to law school if that's how you'll end up? I'm sure her story is not the usual, but I have a hard time believing that the school could be that strong when someone as smart and successful as my aunt couldn't pass the bar with a Gonzaga education. And this is why, I'll be the first lawyer in my family. . .

So on the one hand you acknowledge that this probably an anomalous case, but then you use it as a basis for telling people not to attend? This doesn't seem to make any sense.

Whether or not you aunt is a bright lady or not we'll never know...but what an individual thinks of her case depends on what that person finds more significant...the fact that she holds a PhD, or the fact that she failed bar exams in two states at least 8 times. Let's be honest...given 8 tries, my blind neighbor could pass a driver's test (a slight exaggeration perhaps).

To the OP...congrats on the acceptance.

mxpocc

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 03:16:31 AM »

I concur; while it's doggish to rain on someone's parade, it's also sound advice to steer persons away from Gonzaga. I've heard similar horror stories about the school itself; personally, I'd apply to a state school wherever you're at: #1, you'll save in tuition, because a Gonzaga education isn't worth 28,000 a year. For me, I'd much rather go to University of Montana and pay only 8k a year than go to Gonzaga and pay 28k.

Also, I've friends who were accepted into Gonzaga before LSDAS reports and/or LSAT scores were even sent there. In short, their standards are ostensibly questionable

DirtMcGirt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 12:03:01 PM »
I appreciate everyone sharing their opinions...Gonzaga tuition is actually closer to $23,000, and if you subtract the $11,000 scholarship they offered me, it's about $12,000. Being from Seattle, I must admit that paying a few thousand more to stay closer to a big city (compared to attending in Montana, etc) makes Gonzaga a consideration.
As far as jobs, one of the associates at the law firm I work for is a grad from Gonzaga, and he is quite successful. I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 schools so don't assume I am set on Gonzaga.
Attending: Gonzaga (w/$)

Accepted: Seattle (withdrawn), Southwestern (withdrawn)
Waitlisted: USF (withdrawn), UNLV (withdrawn)
Rejected: ASU, Loyola (LA), USD

mxpocc

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 12:28:51 PM »
I appreciate everyone sharing their opinions...Gonzaga tuition is actually closer to $23,000, and if you subtract the $11,000 scholarship they offered me, it's about $12,000. Being from Seattle, I must admit that paying a few thousand more to stay closer to a big city (compared to attending in Montana, etc) makes Gonzaga a consideration.
As far as jobs, one of the associates at the law firm I work for is a grad from Gonzaga, and he is quite successful. I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 schools so don't assume I am set on Gonzaga.

Fair enough. I suppose you can become succesful after attending any law school--it's all about what you gain from the experience :)

hcnate

• B.S. Management, Purdue University - Gonzaga Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 12:45:06 AM »
Hey all,

I happen to be a first year at Gonzaga and would be willing to take any questions/concerns about what life is really like in Spokane or what the classes are actually like.