Law School Discussion

GPA Addenda That Worked?

ori

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GPA Addenda That Worked?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 08:45:12 AM »
stupid question I'm sure, but what does SES stand for?

Socio-Economic Status

vickymaz

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 10:50:53 AM »
I'm still wondering how mine will go over...I was very sick for two years during undergrad and basically ruined my GPA because I stayed in school full-time instead of taking medical leave (for many reasons). Once I was better, I got almost straight A's my senior year, so there's a huge B/C's --> A's disparity in my transcript. We'll see if any of my top picks give me some pity. It would be nice.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 11:07:33 AM »
My poor GPA addendum explained that I'm the first one in my family to graduate and I worked average of 30 hours per week.  With 5 years of WE, I'm hoping they'll decide in my favor.  I didn't focus entirely on the negative and explained how I have matured, giving specific examples.  I kept the majority of this out of my PS, except for mentioning that I was the first one in my family to graduate.

Course, I don't know if any of this will have a bearing on my application or not. I'll keep those interested posted.
Here's hoping they see my value. :D

kristay

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 11:12:30 AM »
I had an addendum explaining that I took college courses since i was 15, took up to 27 units a quarter, and worked full time my first year of college.  Time will tell if it works anywhere (it didn't at GWU)

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 11:16:58 AM »
I would lose some faith if it doesn't help. I have been told my LSAT is competitive. I have pretty darn good WE. So, I just need the addendum to mitigate for my low GPA. This is going to kill me for the next couple of months.

Balve

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 11:21:56 AM »
Any addenda that could work for a 2.2 GPA and practice LSAT scores so far of 165 and above?   :-[

I was a perenial slacker with no real reason for my low GPA.  >:(

eileen2004

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 11:53:43 AM »
Any addenda that could work for a 2.2 GPA and practice LSAT scores so far of 165 and above?   :-[

I was a perenial slacker with no real reason for my low GPA.  >:(

If you graduated with that 2.2 recently, then I don't think any LSAT score is going to get you into a decent school.  If it was 10 years ago and you can demonstrate that you've gotten the slacker thing out of your system, than you'll be in better shape, but it's still going to be pretty difficult.   

Balve

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 12:02:22 PM »
It was actually my first 2 years of college which was 7 years ago. I just got back into school and will graduate this December. So the 2.2 should go up steadily each quarter. I don't plan on getting anything less than a 4.0 this year. So after all this I should be at a 2.8 or so hopefully. Sorry for the misinformation.  ;)

Ver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 04:58:52 PM »
Did you provide an addendum even if the school did not specifically ask for an explaination?

There are a lot of specifics that affected my GPA that I could not fully describe in my PS. I have submitted my applications, but am wondering if I should send it in to be attacked.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 05:28:05 PM »
I submitted my GPA Addendum whether they asked for it or not.  I stayed positive in my PS, focusing on WE and my inspiration for the line of work I'm in/how law school would help.  My addendum highlighted my first generation status/tremendous work responsibility during school. I felt it needed to be explained.