Law School Discussion

GPA Addenda That Worked?

GPA Addenda That Worked?
« on: February 01, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »
I'm interested in how seriously an addendum for a low GPA is actually considered.  Any stories are welcome.

Re: GPA Addendums That Worked?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 10:15:59 PM »
plural of addendum is addenda, fyi. I wrote a gpa addendum (one bad term) for my schools. don't have enough data to give you a definitive response on how it was received, but you can check out the LSN profile below.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:32:22 PM »
plural of addendum is addenda, fyi. I wrote a gpa addendum (one bad term) for my schools. don't have enough data to give you a definitive response on how it was received, but you can check out the LSN profile below.

But you have a GOOD gpa!!  At least I'm impressed :)

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: GPA Addenda That Worked?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 11:02:42 PM »
I wrote a GPA addendum as well, sent it to some, but not all schools (JC transfer, lower GPA at my JC+1st term @ my univ.). Don't know how they have been treated, but I haven't been dinged yet. :)

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 03:38:11 AM »
Lets not kid ourselves here -- you got into Harvard -- it must've worked!

I'm actually thinking that maybe I was accepted in spite of the addendum, not because of it.  Guess I'll never know!  :)

But you have a GOOD gpa!! At least I'm impressed :)

Thank you.  :)

underwhelm

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 06:20:24 AM »
I wrote one based not on a temporary GPA glitch but on SES. It's a long story.

I can't really tell if it has been effective, though, because I've been accepted at just Iowa. They weight their admissions toward residents of the state, so I probably got an index bump from that. The big question is how it fares at Northwestern. We'll see in about six weeks.

Mostly I wanted to combat a "smart slacker" tag.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 07:04:50 AM »
Hey Underwhelm:

I'm very curious about the addendum you wrote.  I'm still wrestling with the slant I want to take on that front.  Most of my PS concerns my trailer park background, and I don't want to come across as whiny by addressing that again in an addendum.  I also really want to avoid just blaming it on a harder curriculum.

Would you mind discussing (or PM'ing) me a rough outline of your take on that situation?  If its personal and you don't want to divulge, I totally understand.  Thanks!

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 07:18:33 AM »
I wrote one based not on a temporary GPA glitch but on SES. It's a long story.

Mine was like that too, a SES-GPA combo, meant to explain away a 2.9 my freshman fall semester. I don't know if it "worked" or not, but I thought it was pretty good.

maricutie

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 08:40:13 AM »
stupid question I'm sure, but what does SES stand for?

I forget the exact meaning of the acronym, but meant to stand for socially and economically disadvantaged. Basically, that you're poor and/or haven't exactly had a life of priviledge.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 08:44:59 AM »
Yeah, that's right.

Socio-economic status.  Commonly refers to both income and education level of one's parents and family.