Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham Deferral  (Read 930 times)

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fordham Deferral
« on: February 01, 2005, 09:06:16 PM »
I was just placed on Fordham's fancy named deferral list which they call " Interim Pending ". I got the notice today. Are any fellow LSDers sharing this experience? Anyone know anything about this list or how it works, how popular it is ??
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

Louder Than Bombs

Re: Fordham Deferral
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 09:15:15 PM »
That's odd. Your #'s are good, and you went to an Ivy...how in the hell did you get waitlisted at Cardozo? You kill somebody?

qtip2012

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT: 162 UGPA: 3.06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 09:16:24 PM »
Jgunnz, are your LORs okay man, it seems like you have had it really rough through this whole process.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=MrGrieves

Heaven: Northeastern (w/ $8500), Brooklyn, Roger Williams (w/ $20000), St. John's (w/ 12500), Hofstra (w/ $16000), Case Western (w/ $9000), American
Hell: BU
Purgatory: UConn, Cardozo

Applied: Temple

kristay

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:49:06 PM »
Does Fordham average LSAT scores?

qtip2012

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:11:04 PM »
oh, i didnt see that... that explains everything

Heaven: Northeastern (w/ $8500), Brooklyn, Roger Williams (w/ $20000), St. John's (w/ 12500), Hofstra (w/ $16000), Case Western (w/ $9000), American

NYKnicks

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 11:03:59 PM »
Jgunnz I hope you wrote a decent addendum telling schools to take your 166. But after seeing you took it twice I can sort of understand why Fordham deffered you and Cardozo put you on waitlist.

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 01:51:22 AM »
That's odd. Your #'s are good, and you went to an Ivy...how in the hell did you get waitlisted at Cardozo? You kill somebody?

Actually I'm not a murderer; in fact my extracurriculars are extensive, and all of my recommenders personally sent me their letters and they were quite stellar. The truth and crux of the matter is that a 156 is detrimental, and extremely hard to recover from, no matter who you are or what you've done. My case is the perfect example. I'm trying hard to land on my feet but it isn't easy. I did write an LSAT addendum to the schools, but I didn't want to make up some BS about how I had the fever during the exam the first time or how my dog died. In fact I really didn't do anything much different between the two exams except pay a little bit more attention to time. I explained to the schools that the 156 was not indicative of where I was practicing and that the 166 was a more reflective measure but maybe they wanted more of a reason, who knows? However, I am content knowing I gave them the truth and I'm confidant at least one top school will see past a single bad test score.
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

qtip2012

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 02:46:01 AM »
I think Cornell will be your best bet for recovery.  Not sure if you were looking to stay around at the alma mater but its a great school, my pops went there and I've always liked Ithaca.  Goodluck!

BC 3L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 08:14:20 AM »
when exactly did you retake the lsat?  was it a june or october miss and then you took the december test?  i personally think that this situation is difficult to justify in an addendum.  i retook the lsat, as well but, had 2 years inbetween the tests.  i matured quite a bit and realized how important the test was.  looking at your stats on lsn, it seems like you were always inclined towards law so some schools might give you less slack when they read your addendum. 

cardozo always averages (so i have read) and fordham supposedly takes the higher score if 10+ points higher (which you were).  my guess is that this information is false...fordham probably always averages as well. (or it takes a convincing argument to get the higher score weighted more). 

your case seems to point out that these schools average (since you would be above the medians for both schools if they only looked at your higher lsat). 

i agree, cornell looks like your best bet (and tied for my top choice actually).
good luck

mhkuang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 09:41:50 AM »

Actually I'm not a murderer; in fact my extracurriculars are extensive, and all of my recommenders personally sent me their letters and they were quite stellar. The truth and crux of the matter is that a 156 is detrimental, and extremely hard to recover from, no matter who you are or what you've done. My case is the perfect example. I'm trying hard to land on my feet but it isn't easy. I did write an LSAT addendum to the schools, but I didn't want to make up some BS about how I had the fever during the exam the first time or how my dog died. In fact I really didn't do anything much different between the two exams except pay a little bit more attention to time. I explained to the schools that the 156 was not indicative of where I was practicing and that the 166 was a more reflective measure but maybe they wanted more of a reason, who knows? However, I am content knowing I gave them the truth and I'm confidant at least one top school will see past a single bad test score.

Bravo. You take it like a man and I respect that. You didn't make up some BS about how you were sick or whatever.

The only thing I can add is that maybe your major is a bit common for law school so when you are borderline they didn't cut you any slack.