Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Laptop for Law School?  (Read 30000 times)

Tippy Farmbuckle

Re: Best Laptop for Law School?
« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2005, 02:03:28 AM »
what did you uninstall, my dell (though a different model) doesn't seem to have any "garbage" automatically installed. am i missing something?

Now that I've had the Inspiron 6000 for a few months, I've really come to love it. I was really worried about the size, but  1. I enjoy the large screen & comfortable keyboard (especially since I'm not an amazing typer).  2. After buying my law school books, I realize that I'm probably going to be carrying around 25 lbs of law school books at all times. The extra 2 lbs of computer isn't going to be as big of a deal as I thought. My computer is working great & seems really sturdy. I've become comfortable with using it quite quickly & am glad that I didn't get something like the 600m which many claim feels fragile & flimsy. The only thing that I've found annoying about this computer has been uninstalling all of the garbage that Dell automatically includes. Otherwise, no complaints. Thanks for the recommendation, Burgh

mine came with some dell audio crap, aol and free trails of some stuff, and some other little things that are now all gone.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2005, 10:51:21 AM »
Yeh. Mine had stuff like trials for AOL, MSN, and other internet services. I also had other unneeded things on there like links to the Dell store & whatnot. When my friend (who unlike me is good with computers) started it up, it was running about 45 processes & unnecessarily wasting a lot of my computer's ability. So, he altered it so that it wouldn't automatically run stuff I don't need. Also, my media players (like Dell jukebox) came pre-installed with all types of songs, pictures, short videos, etc that I had to remove. Nothing terrible... just a lot of unnecessary crap.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

Fabyahluss

« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2005, 08:33:01 PM »
YES, I finally got my laptop today and I absolutely LOVE it! I purchased IBM's T43 thinkpad and it's great.

Details:

1.86GHz

512MB RAM

40GB HD

14 inch Display...

and it still weighs in at less than 5 pounds. Wonderful!

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »
YES, I finally got my laptop today and I absolutely LOVE it! I purchased IBM's T43 thinkpad and it's great.

Details:

1.86GHz

512MB RAM

40GB HD

14 inch Display...

sweet...how much did it end up costing u???

Fabyahluss

« Reply #324 on: August 17, 2005, 12:47:57 PM »

Details:

1.86GHz

512MB RAM

40GB HD

14 inch Display...

sweet...how much did it end up costing u???

I paid about $1800--and that was after I updated my warranty to include 3-year onsite full protection coverage and a 9 cell battery.

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #325 on: August 17, 2005, 03:11:31 PM »
cool.....also, did all u people that got dells uninstall the norton security suite that comes with them???  if not, you need to!

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2005, 04:18:26 PM »
cool.....also, did all u people that got dells uninstall the norton security suite that comes with them???  if not, you need to!

Why is that?  I just got a Dell 600m, and I'm not sure what software needs to be deleted an why.

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2005, 05:49:12 PM »

Why is that? I just got a Dell 600m, and I'm not sure what software needs to be deleted an why.

you dont have to delete anything but i always remove what i know i will not use.  for example, i know i will use windows media player for my music, so i get rid of the dell media experience thing.  but as far as removing the norton suite, it causes a lot of hang-ups on your computer with programs that use the internet.  for instance, if you try using kazaa or limewire, they wont work until you disable the internet security portion of the suite.  in fact, every time i started my computer i had to give the gmail notifier permission to access the internet no matter how many times i chose "always allow".  i think a combination of a seperate anti-spyware (microsoft anti-spyware works well), firewall (windows or zone alarm), and anti-virus (i use one supplied by my school but macafee or grisoft's avg work well) would do a much better job and would prevent so many issues with internet-related programs.

danke

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #328 on: August 27, 2005, 03:30:39 AM »
Best Laptop for Law School?

Getaway
If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you

whenlaughin

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 05, 2006, 06:25:29 PM »
You meant Gateway, didn't you?! :)