Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Laptop for Law School?  (Read 28923 times)

Fabyahluss

Re: Best Laptop for Law School?
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2005, 07:18:32 PM »
I had a Panasonic Toughbook years ago with a 12" screen, and then I got a Dell a with a 14"  And although the 12" didn't really bug me as I remember, I did appreciate the extra room that the 14" game me.

But I'm debating about this too.  Should I get a 12" iMac or Powerbook, or a larger model?  Ultimately I think the weight difference is perhaps less than it seems -- probably only one or two pounds.  So for that is it worth the smaller screen (it's a fair bit smaller when you look at them side to side).

I'm leaning strongly towards the 14" to be honest.  Because it is just a lot easier to compose documents with a bigger screen.  Your eyes don't get as tired and you can see more of the document on your screen (and have a better idea of what it'll look like when printed). 

The other thing you might want to think about is the fact that the 12" IBM doesn't have a touchpad.  Now I admit they have the best eraser mouse I've seen, but I still don't think it's anywhere near as good as a touchpad.

Well the X40 is 2.7lbs and the T42 is 4.9. I wouldn't think that 2.2 lbs would make that much of a difference, but to me it did. Also, as someone said, the resolution kinda makese up for the small screen with the X40 since, if my eyes get that tired, I could enlarge the writing. But you're right about not being able to see the entire document with a smaller screen, but I don't think that will bug me as much.

The salesperson showing me the laptops mentioned that a lot of people who are accustomed to touchpads don't like the X40's because of that eraser mouse, since it's hard to get used to. However, since I've never had a laptop and am used to a mouse, perhaps the touchpad would be equally hard for me to get used to. When I was comparing them in the store, both felt super awkward to me.

Ugh, decisions decisions. I just love the fact that I won't have to break my back with a smaller laptop since I intend to carry that thing EVERYWHERE. Plus, the X40 takes up less amount of space than the T42, which would help when you're surrounded by books, outlines, etc. at your desk.

Damn eyes. At least you guys who've had 12" laptops have a reference regarding what your eyes can take. :::sigh::: It's just the SIZE...

alibami_z

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2005, 12:50:57 AM »
Fabyahluss,

Which store carries IBMs?  I'd really like to try them out before I buy but wasn't able to find them in any of the stores near where I live.

Help!?
Georgetown University Law Center
Class of 2008

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2005, 01:37:15 PM »
Fabyahluss,

Which store carries IBMs? I'd really like to try them out before I buy but wasn't able to find them in any of the stores near where I live.

Help!?

This has been mentioned a few times already, and I had the same problem.  Retailers do not carry them anymore.  Some schools do in their computer shops.  Other than that you are flying blind with a 30 day return policy.  I have tried to hunt down a friend with a Thinkpad, but no luck.  The website does have a cool 3D interactive display. 

I am buying my T43 today.  I got a 10% educational discount, and a free extra battery.  I am also buying a dock and a 19 inch monitor that is on sale so I can convert it to a desktop at home.  I decided on the 14 inch.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2005, 01:54:18 AM »
Yea, I was able to look at IBMs at the University of Michigan computer shop.  But I think that's the only place I've found them...

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilstepho
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2005, 02:12:25 PM »
I guess I just don't see the difference in all of the different types of Dells .. which do you guys recommend?
Syracuse it is!!!!! .. all the way from sunny southern Alabama ...

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2005, 02:23:34 PM »
How do you not see the difference? They have pictures and spec lists...very easy to comprehend....

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilstepho
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2005, 02:54:02 PM »
I was speaking in a literal sense.  I was si mply asking for suggestions on which one would be the best option.  It seems that there are a lot of good options, since many people here are all going to be starting law school in August, yet they have purchased different Dell models.  I'm not an idiot -- I "see" the difference in the laptops .. I meant it in a preference-type way.
Syracuse it is!!!!! .. all the way from sunny southern Alabama ...

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2005, 12:25:04 AM »
Not sure if it's been said already but Apple recently started offering a free 4gb ipod Mini with purchase of laptops for students! $179 value. If you choose a more exensive ipod, the same $179 coupon is given upon sending in the upc, etc. So it makes a nice deal if you're thinking of getting an ipod in addition to a laptop.

Regardless of the free ipod, I plan to buy a 12" powerbook. Can't wait.

My 2 yen.

kerouacbum

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 30, 2005, 12:46:10 AM »
CDW outlet stores have IBMs in stock. I'm not sure how many CDW stores are out there, and I don't think they carry every IBM available, but they should at least have a couple different models so you can get an idea of the size of the computer, keyboard, etc. I'm planning on heading to one this weekend as I'm leaning towards a T42 or T43 for school.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 30, 2005, 04:45:19 PM »
I ordered my T43 and it is taking like 3 weeks to get here (its customized).  I am so sick of waiting!  I have been dreaming of throwing my 7 year old desktop out my apartment window for months.