Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Laptop for Law School?  (Read 29690 times)

Gilraen

• View Profile
Re: Best Laptop for Law School?
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2005, 10:13:08 AM »
I just got my Dell Inspiron 2200 yesterday. Unfortunately, when I turned it on, there was a 2 inch vertical white line down the left hand side of the monitor, completely obliterating anything that was supposed to show up on the monitor in that area!

I had a similar situation with my Dell 600m (sort of).  It works fine, but intermittently makes this odd grinding noise.  They're sending me a new one, and say I just have to send this one back when I get it.  They should do the same thing for you, and I recommend doing that.  It's a pain waiting to get your new computer, but it beats having a defective one for three years (and who knows - the problem may just get worse over time). 

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2005, 01:58:53 PM »
I just got my Dell Inspiron 2200 yesterday. Unfortunately, when I turned it on, there was a 2 inch vertical white line down the left hand side of the monitor, completely obliterating anything that was supposed to show up on the monitor in that area!

I lifted the computer to get the serial number info off the bottom, and when I put it back down, the line was gone. Since then, it has shown up 3 more times when turning on the computer, but all I need to do is move the screen a bit and it goes away. The last few times I turned it on, it wasn't there any more.

I guess I'll still call Tech support anyway, just to let them know about it. I doubt they'll do much if it has stopped happening, though.

I can see it now - just as I'm trying to finish up an exam, a quarter of my screen will blank out. That'll be great!

This is a problem with your video card--call tech support right away.  Since your computer is new, they should replace it...

And don't tell them it has stopped happening--it will only get worse because the problem is exacerbated EVERY TIME you open or close the lid. 

You can tell this is a problem with your video card precisely because it stops/starts by wiggling the screen.  If you want to double check, you can plug your laptop into a TV or regular monitor.  If you still see the white line on either the TV or the monitor, it is DEFINTELY the video card and not a problem with the screen. 

(They will want to make sure the problem isn't with the pixels on the screen, so just do these tests before you call, and then tell them about the results. I had this problem with my dell, so I know all about it...In fact, they will probably ask you to wiggle it while you're on the phone with them, and the more you wiggle it, the worse it will get.  Even if it doesn't in that specific instance, pretend that it does.  You want this replaced--NOW!)

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2005, 02:15:22 PM »

I lifted the computer to get the serial number info off the bottom, and when I put it back down, the line was gone. Since then, it has shown up 3 more times when turning on the computer, but all I need to do is move the screen a bit and it goes away. The last few times I turned it on, it wasn't there any more.

I guess I'll still call Tech support anyway, just to let them know about it. I doubt they'll do much if it has stopped happening, though.

I can see it now - just as I'm trying to finish up an exam, a quarter of my screen will blank out. That'll be great!

I had a similar situation with my inspirion. It worked great for the first week, then shut down and wouldn't come back on. Faulty motherboard, they sent a repair-tech guy to my work, and in 30 minutes he replaced it and its worked amazingly ever since (I've now had it since March). All in all, I can't complain, and Dell's tech support was really good the one time I needed it.

Fabyahluss

« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2005, 02:57:12 PM »
Initially I planned to get IBM's T42, but went in to look at it today and absolutely fell in love with the X40. I mean, you can't beat the size. At first I thought 4.9 lbs, which is what the T42 weighs, wouldn't be too bad, even when books and a bookbag are accounted for, but I found it to be quite heavy.

Does anyone on here have the X40, or any other laptop with a 12 inch screen? When you're spending hours writing on it, what effect, if any, does it have on your eyes? Do you find there to be a significant difference between a 12 inch screen and a 14 inch screen?

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2005, 03:00:47 PM »
Fabyahhuss,  Where did you go to see them??  I'd really love to look at them up close before purchasing one.  Thanks.

pointdexterish

• Sr. Citizen
  • 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2005, 03:27:18 PM »
Does anyone on here have the X40, or any other laptop with a 12 inch screen? When you're spending hours writing on it, what effect, if any, does it have on your eyes? Do you find there to be a significant difference between a 12 inch screen and a 14 inch screen?

I have a X21, an earlier 12" Thinkpad model of which the X40 is a descendent.

12" screens do not strain the eyes any more than 14" screens in my anecdotal experience.  Previous to owning the X21, I owned a Dell C600 with a 14" screen.  My eyes, and hands, have not been taxed any worse than with the 14" screen.

The ability to change screen resolution helps.  If you feel yourself squinting and unable to make out details on the screen you can simply reduce the resolution, ie. the number of pixels used to draw the image on the screen.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2005, 03:41:20 PM »

I have a 12" Apple iBook. It's the only laptop that I have had, so nothing else to compare it to, but the screen size has not bothered me at all.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »

This is a problem with your video card--call tech support right away.  Since your computer is new, they should replace it...

And don't tell them it has stopped happening--it will only get worse because the problem is exacerbated EVERY TIME you open or close the lid. 

You can tell this is a problem with your video card precisely because it stops/starts by wiggling the screen.  If you want to double check, you can plug your laptop into a TV or regular monitor.  If you still see the white line on either the TV or the monitor, it is DEFINTELY the video card and not a problem with the screen. 

(They will want to make sure the problem isn't with the pixels on the screen, so just do these tests before you call, and then tell them about the results. I had this problem with my dell, so I know all about it...In fact, they will probably ask you to wiggle it while you're on the phone with them, and the more you wiggle it, the worse it will get.  Even if it doesn't in that specific instance, pretend that it does.  You want this replaced--NOW!)

Seems weird that it would be the card when moving the monitor makes it change. At any rate, I didn't get the extra graphic updates since I don't play games on the computer. Pretty sure it said that my video would just be part of the motherboard instead of a separate card. If that's the problem, I guess they'll have to replace the entire motherboard.

I'll call them tonight. I'll also try hooking it up to my desktop monitor first. It hasn't happened again, so I don't know if I can reproduce it or not. Seems that anybody who came out to fix it would want to see what was going on...but I'll tell them it continues to happen on and off.

Thanks.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2005, 04:15:39 PM »
I had a Panasonic Toughbook years ago with a 12" screen, and then I got a Dell a with a 14"  And although the 12" didn't really bug me as I remember, I did appreciate the extra room that the 14" game me.

But I'm debating about this too.  Should I get a 12" iMac or Powerbook, or a larger model?  Ultimately I think the weight difference is perhaps less than it seems -- probably only one or two pounds.  So for that is it worth the smaller screen (it's a fair bit smaller when you look at them side to side).

I'm leaning strongly towards the 14" to be honest.  Because it is just a lot easier to compose documents with a bigger screen.  Your eyes don't get as tired and you can see more of the document on your screen (and have a better idea of what it'll look like when printed). 

The other thing you might want to think about is the fact that the 12" IBM doesn't have a touchpad.  Now I admit they have the best eraser mouse I've seen, but I still don't think it's anywhere near as good as a touchpad.

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2005, 04:49:25 PM »

Seems weird that it would be the card when moving the monitor makes it change. At any rate, I didn't get the extra graphic updates since I don't play games on the computer. Pretty sure it said that my video would just be part of the motherboard instead of a separate card. If that's the problem, I guess they'll have to replace the entire motherboard.

I'll call them tonight. I'll also try hooking it up to my desktop monitor first. It hasn't happened again, so I don't know if I can reproduce it or not. Seems that anybody who came out to fix it would want to see what was going on...but I'll tell them it continues to happen on and off.

Thanks.

No problem, and yeah, it is weird that moving the screen would make it worse, but the reason is that the video card itself is connected to the screen through the hinges--hence the hinge movement affecting the image.  (Or something like that...This is an oversimplified explanation the tech guy gave me, but it works...)

It was intermittent for me too--at first--but the more I wiggled while I was on the phone with the guy, the worse it got... (especially with BIG wiggles--try really "flapping" it back and forth--open and close real wide...It should get worse, or at least recurr...)

Good luck!