Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Laptop for Law School?  (Read 29792 times)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: Best Laptop for Law School?
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2005, 11:23:38 PM »
fyi -- the T42 has a better battery life then the T43.

check out the review on CNET.

also -- late June, IBM should have an "end of quarter" sale.

drew

"End of the Quarter sale" is definately also good to know--Thanks for the heads up!

That too, is good to know. Maybe I'll have to make my purchase a little early (and hope my credit card holds out until teh laptop loan adjustment goes through ;)).
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

alibami_z

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2005, 11:11:34 AM »
I'm sure I'm missing something, but I really don't see why one laptop would be that much more superior than another as far as law school processes go.  As far as I'm concerned, a laptop is nothing more than a glorified legal pad.  They make the process easier, but remember- three decades ago everyone went to law school with a piece of paper and a pen.  The process inherent in learning hasn't changed, only the tools used to accomplish said goal.

Disclaimer:  I'm bringing a laptop to law school, but I'll probably only use it for word processing and online research; which I suspect will be true for 98% of the law school population.  As long as you don't own a clunker, you should be fine.

If it were only so simple...

I own a laptop now that I like but it has a nasty habit, on occasion, of locking up and the only way to shut the thing down is by removing the battery (No, Cntl-Alt-Del doesn't work).  How bad would this be during an exam or even during lectures.  Lost time is one thing; lost data is another.

I'm willing to pay more for reliability.
Georgetown University Law Center
Class of 2008

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2005, 11:26:42 AM »
I'm sure I'm missing something, but I really don't see why one laptop would be that much more superior than another as far as law school processes go.  As far as I'm concerned, a laptop is nothing more than a glorified legal pad.  They make the process easier, but remember- three decades ago everyone went to law school with a piece of paper and a pen.  The process inherent in learning hasn't changed, only the tools used to accomplish said goal.

Disclaimer:  I'm bringing a laptop to law school, but I'll probably only use it for word processing and online research; which I suspect will be true for 98% of the law school population.  As long as you don't own a clunker, you should be fine.

If it were only so simple...

I own a laptop now that I like but it has a nasty habit, on occasion, of locking up and the only way to shut the thing down is by removing the battery (No, Cntl-Alt-Del doesn't work).  How bad would this be during an exam or even during lectures.  Lost time is one thing; lost data is another.

I'm willing to pay more for reliability.

Your computer would be the very definition of a clunker.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2005, 07:17:10 PM »

drew

I recently saw a review on PC world that stated the opposite; T43 has better battery life than the T42.
Attending UVa

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2005, 10:15:59 PM »
Here's Apple's page for lawyers.. thought it was cool.

http://www.apple.com/business/solutions/legal.html
USD 2L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2005, 10:25:25 PM »

drew

I recently saw a review on PC world that stated the opposite; T43 has better battery life than the T42.

I've read several reports that the T43 and X41 have worse battery life than their predecessors--but this is because IBM/Lenovo switched to processors and RAM that are faster, but use more energy.  A trade-off of sorts.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2005, 01:36:39 AM »
Yea, apparently Pittsburgh (where I'll be) uses SecureExam, which is fully compatible with Macs.

But before that Pittsburgh let "Mac Students" take their exams on school computers.

In any case, the more I look at Macs the more I like them.  I went to the computer place at the University of Michigan (where I went undergrad) today and looked at them.  My biggest question is whether to get a 14" iBook or a 15" Powerbook.  The powerbook is a widescreen, and to be honest is perhaps too big (although very thin and light).  And it's more expensive ... around five hundred bucks more after I add the extras that I want and after I get the education discount.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2005, 03:47:22 AM »
Generally, I recommend the powerbook over the iBook. Over 3 years, the extra cost of the Pbook will be worth it. While bulkier than the iBook, the 15" Pbook is actually a bit lighter (4-5oz).

The Pbook is Apple's business grade laptop, while the iBook is more the basic/economy model. Over 3 years of daily use, the Powerbook is going to hold up better than the iBook. If you do buy an iBook, you really have to upgrade the RAM. The standard 256mb is borderline for OSx. Add at least an extra 256-512mb.
Attending UVa

rach9112000

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2005, 08:59:28 AM »
I've been following this thread and doing some research on my own and have narrowed the field to a Sony VIAO S series or an IBM Thinkpad T series.

I've tried the VIAO S460 and thought it was great.  The screen resolution and color is amazing.  The keyboard felt good.  My husband had a VIAO for his job several years back and really liked it.  BUT I've read reviews that mention a problem with a very noisy fan.  Any thoughts on this?

The Thinkpad sounds very solid but I haven't been able to find one in a store to try out.  Does anyone know what retailer might carry them?  I understand the screen isn't quite as nice as the VIAO but it is larger (14" vs. 13").  I'd really like to try one out before I make a decision.

I'm looking for a quality, very reliable, under 5lb computer with a screen between 13" and 15".  Would one be recommended over the other?  Is there something out there that's even better than one of these two?

Any help would be appreciated.

I recently bought the Sony VIAO 460 as my laptop for law school and I think it's great. I spent A LOT of time researching laptops and narrowed it down to the either the Thinkpad or the Sony. But I ended up going for the Sony which I bought from Best Buy because through personal experience, their warranties have been the best for me.

I love the size (13" screen) and weight (4.3 lbs) of the laptop. The keyboard is only slightly smaller than a full size one, which is ideal as I am a touch typist and was looking for one just that size. Not too cramped, not too big. It seems ideal for what I will be using it for. It also looks really cool!

I too had read an article about the fan noise but it really hasn't been a problem. Yes, you can hear it when it starts up every now and then but it's a lot quieter than my old Toshiba and my Dad's Compaq and my brother's HP. (I compared it to all of them when I got it to be sure, quite sad I know!) Plus, you can always adjust the computer settings so that the fan comes on less often but I don't think you would really need to.

Any other questions, just ask.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2005, 09:23:46 AM »
I just got my Dell Inspiron 2200 yesterday. Unfortunately, when I turned it on, there was a 2 inch vertical white line down the left hand side of the monitor, completely obliterating anything that was supposed to show up on the monitor in that area!

I lifted the computer to get the serial number info off the bottom, and when I put it back down, the line was gone. Since then, it has shown up 3 more times when turning on the computer, but all I need to do is move the screen a bit and it goes away. The last few times I turned it on, it wasn't there any more.

I guess I'll still call Tech support anyway, just to let them know about it. I doubt they'll do much if it has stopped happening, though.

I can see it now - just as I'm trying to finish up an exam, a quarter of my screen will blank out. That'll be great!