Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Laptop for Law School?  (Read 29514 times)

ZildjianKX

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best Laptop for Law School?
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2005, 06:33:16 PM »
I'm a mac fan, but it looks like I won't be wasting my money on a powerbook until the x86 switch next year.

I'm between getting a Thinkpad and holding on to it, or buying a cheapie Dell 700m.

FYI, I hate Dell laptops, I've had so many problems in the fast and so many parts die.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ZildjianKX
Accepted: Santa Clara (will attend 2005 FT), UOP
Waitlisted: University of Oregon, Lewis & Clark, Pepperdine, Loyla LA, UNLV
Rejected: USF, Davis

I am the king of waitlists!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 13, 2005, 06:41:14 PM »

The Thinkpad sounds very solid but I haven't been able to find one in a store to try out. Does anyone know what retailer might carry them? I understand the screen isn't quite as nice as the VIAO but it is larger (14" vs. 13"). I'd really like to try one out before I make a decision.

I had the same problem, and contacted Lenova about this.  Apparently no retain chains carry IBMs anymore, and you must purchase directly from the chain.  It is scary to drop $2,000+ never seeing the product.  After much indepedent research, and reading many of the discussions I am going with the IBM T43, and letting the reviews speak for themselves (even though I have never actually seen one).  I am looking to finalize the purchase this week.

You won't be disappointed.  Plus, you have 30 days to return it, no questions asked.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2005, 06:43:02 PM »
so what do you guys think about laptops on sell at bestbuy/circuit city/compusa..etc?

do you get a better deal online? [i assume the retailers add hefty margins to the price].

I would never purchase a computer from any of the places you named.

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2005, 07:34:15 PM »
After only a couple of weeks of law school I would have to answer the thread question with this simple answer.

The lightest, smallest laptop you can find. 

Seriously... your books weigh a ton.  Also put felt over the keyboard to save your screen.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

A.J.

« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2005, 07:36:48 PM »
  Also put felt over the keyboard to save your screen.

huh, good idea

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2005, 08:43:28 PM »

The Thinkpad sounds very solid but I haven't been able to find one in a store to try out. Does anyone know what retailer might carry them? I understand the screen isn't quite as nice as the VIAO but it is larger (14" vs. 13"). I'd really like to try one out before I make a decision.

I had the same problem, and contacted Lenova about this.  Apparently no retain chains carry IBMs anymore, and you must purchase directly from the chain.  It is scary to drop $2,000+ never seeing the product.  After much indepedent research, and reading many of the discussions I am going with the IBM T43, and letting the reviews speak for themselves (even though I have never actually seen one).  I am looking to finalize the purchase this week.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to see a thinkpad. Some University computer stores stock thinkpads, or at least have demo models. I know UCLA does this, at the student union computer store. If you are close to a college and have the time, go to their computer store and see if they have some.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2005, 08:51:24 PM »
so what do you guys think about laptops on sell at bestbuy/circuit city/compusa..etc?

do you get a better deal online? [i assume the retailers add hefty margins to the price].

There really isn't a price difference buying directly, since the computer companies charge MSRP, as most retailers do. However, most computer manufacturers do offer student discounts, which retailers do not.

The student discount for thinkpads varies, but ranges btwn $120-300 for most popular models. Fujitsu offers 5% off, Apple gives a $200 discount ($50 for iBooks), plus 10% off upgrades and a discount on applecare.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2005, 04:14:03 PM »
Hey, I just found out that my law school (Pitt) will have Apple compatable exam software next year.  Yea!  I think I'm getting a mac!

AgentRHE

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2005, 09:20:31 PM »
25% off of Dell Inspiron Laptops at their "Home" site until Wednesday June 15th!  Just FYI... but I think I'm going to have to get mine now!
Attending: Wisconsin

UOlaw08

• AOL Instant Messenger - psikadelik
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2005, 12:38:11 PM »
I've been following this thread and doing some research on my own and have narrowed the field to a Sony VIAO S series or an IBM Thinkpad T series.

I've tried the VIAO S460 and thought it was great.  The screen resolution and color is amazing.  The keyboard felt good.  My husband had a VIAO for his job several years back and really liked it.  BUT I've read reviews that mention a problem with a very noisy fan.  Any thoughts on this?

The Thinkpad sounds very solid but I haven't been able to find one in a store to try out.  Does anyone know what retailer might carry them?  I understand the screen isn't quite as nice as the VIAO but it is larger (14" vs. 13").  I'd really like to try one out before I make a decision.

I'm looking for a quality, very reliable, under 5lb computer with a screen between 13" and 15".  Would one be recommended over the other?  Is there something out there that's even better than one of these two?

Any help would be appreciated.

Good call on considering the Sony S series. I own an S360 and it makes all the friends of mine with Dells and even some Apple people jealous. The concern you are bringing up is with the fan noise. Sony has the fan come on at specific temperatures (55 C for the 360). You can easily control this by using the power management options and selecting your PC to be on low power consumption. Your battery should last (the 460 consumes more than the 360) about 3.5-4.5 hours which is better than most notebooks.

Additionally, if the fan is giving you problems, you can easily underclock your CPU to the point in which the temperature does not go over the threshold after which the fan turns on.

In my anecdotal experience, the Sony S series is as quiet as can be even with the fan on. I believe the complaint comes from the users that game with it, not that use it for office apps. Performance wise, it is perfect for law school. Heck, I'm even able to play the Battlefield 2 demo with the notebook (albeit on low settings).

I do not regret the Sony purchase one bit. The notebook is 4.2 lbs, the battery lasts a whopping 5 1/2 hours (regular battery with power management settings considered). Also, the screen is bright, clear, and can't be beat. 

If you have any specific questions, PM me. HTH
ATTENDING: The University of Oregon!

In: Oregon
Out: Miami, Texas, IU: Bloomington, Lewis and Clark, Seattle
Withdrawn: Depaul, Denver, Quinnipiac