Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Laptop for Law School?  (Read 29607 times)

pointdexterish

• Sr. Citizen
  • 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
Re: Best Laptop for Law School?
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2005, 04:02:06 PM »
I'd go with the IBM.

Barring that, find a friend with a Dell and mash on the keyboard for a while.

BAFF213

« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2005, 07:24:30 PM »
I'd go with the IBM.

Yea - I want an IBM, but the law school I will most likely be attending (Suffolk) highly recommends Dell for several reasons (a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that they have an arrangement with Dell).  It's going to be a tough decision.

Thanks for the advice though.  Nearly everyone I've spoken to that is knowledgeble about computers has recommended IBM over Dell, with the exception of the "Director of Academic Technology" at Suffolk (I spoke to him on the phone).  I am also inclined to choose IBM over Dell because several people have said that most notebooks are likely to have a problem, but IBMs are (much?) less likely.  I really don't want to have a problem with my laptop during law school (esp. 1L) - who does though??

Barring that, find a friend with a Dell and mash on the keyboard for a while.

I'm actually using my mom's Dell Inspiron 1100 right now, but it's a completely different laptop from the Dells I'm considering (Dell Latitude D610 and Dell Inspiron 600m) - the ones I'm considering are much better.  I'm not a big fan of the keyboard I'm using right now, but I'm guessing the keyboard on the D610 and 600m are better...

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2005, 11:40:45 PM »
jomolungma -- I'd really appreciate it if you could keep me updated on how your loan thing goes with Pitt.  I don't know many of the details, but I'd love to know how easily it actually translates into a reimbursment of the money I'll spend on my laptop.

Thanks

seu2002

« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2005, 05:22:49 PM »
bump

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2005, 05:27:46 PM »
This might have been brought up earlier, but does anyone have any concerns about getting a Thinkpad since they were bought out by Lenovo? Isn't there a good chance the quality will suffer?

I can't remember where I read this, but I'm pretty sure it was on a tech review website.  According to them, the Lenovo switch will not impact manufacturing or service in the short term, and probably not ever.  Lenovo purchased the ThinkPad line with the goal of improving distribution and costs.  That's how they expect to make their money.  Apparently they are just taking over the ThinkPad production lines and service folks, so the switch to Lenovo should be pretty transparent for ThinkPad owners.

All of this is theoretical of course, but let's think about it - the ThinkPad brand has had a best-in-class reputation in the business arena for a while now.  Why would you mess with it?  The thing you'd want to do is find ways to build the ThinkPad brand in the consumer, education and government markets.  The way to do this is by bringing costs down, not by messing with a proven product.  So my feelings are that the Lenovo switch is not that big a deal.  Plus, some pretty major US companies have given some pretty large sums of cash to Lenovo as investments.  I'm sure they feel their money is safe there.

Thinkpads [and virtually every other laptop on the market] has been made in China for a long time........

so I don't think Lenovo thinkpad is gonna be any different than IBM....

plus the fact that PC are commodities, they are all the same thing.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2005, 05:29:11 PM »
I know this is another really old post but I'm just beginning to research notebooks/laptops now (I'm purchasing one in June so that I can get used to it by the time law school starts in August).

Draino mentions (in the post below) that he's seen Dell Inspiron 700m's at Office Depot.  I want to try out the different keyboards (for the Latitudes and the Inspirons), so I searched the Office Depot website, and apparently they don't carry Dells at all (anymore?).

I tried BestBuy.com as well as Circuit City and the search was unsuccessful...

Are there any (physical, not online) stores that carry Dell laptops? 

Someone mentioned in another thread that he tried out a Dell keyboard at a mall kiosk.  Hmm...

Oh and I tried searching for a Dell Direct store near me on the Dell website and none of them are anywhere near where I live.  How the f can they not have a Dell store anywhere near Massachusetts ???  It's not like we're in some remote location like Alaska or something.

I dunno...you'd definitely have to change your style.  I was just over-reaching everything...not so much a carpel tunnel issue, just really cramped...you could feel your hands actively trying to stay small, if that makes sense...I've seen 'em at most Office Depots...go have a look.

The keyboard is small...I've worked on it some in stores and couldn't see using it full-time.

Is this on account of the Carpel Tunnel or do you think that most people would not be able to get used to it enough to type with sufficient comfort. Or worse, will it end up giving me carpel tunnel?

no retailer carry Dells, they only sell online directly, without the middleman [that's why the make $$$$]

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2005, 05:40:34 PM »
I know this is another really old post but I'm just beginning to research notebooks/laptops now (I'm purchasing one in June so that I can get used to it by the time law school starts in August).

Draino mentions (in the post below) that he's seen Dell Inspiron 700m's at Office Depot.  I want to try out the different keyboards (for the Latitudes and the Inspirons), so I searched the Office Depot website, and apparently they don't carry Dells at all (anymore?).

I tried BestBuy.com as well as Circuit City and the search was unsuccessful...

Are there any (physical, not online) stores that carry Dell laptops? 

Someone mentioned in another thread that he tried out a Dell keyboard at a mall kiosk.  Hmm...

Oh and I tried searching for a Dell Direct store near me on the Dell website and none of them are anywhere near where I live.  How the f can they not have a Dell store anywhere near Massachusetts ???  It's not like we're in some remote location like Alaska or something.

I dunno...you'd definitely have to change your style.  I was just over-reaching everything...not so much a carpel tunnel issue, just really cramped...you could feel your hands actively trying to stay small, if that makes sense...I've seen 'em at most Office Depots...go have a look.

The keyboard is small...I've worked on it some in stores and couldn't see using it full-time.

Is this on account of the Carpel Tunnel or do you think that most people would not be able to get used to it enough to type with sufficient comfort. Or worse, will it end up giving me carpel tunnel?

no retailer carry Dells, they only sell online directly, without the middleman [that's why the make $$$$]

Dell has stores in some places.  Look at the link that was posted above.

alibami_z

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2005, 11:15:39 AM »
I've been following this thread and doing some research on my own and have narrowed the field to a Sony VIAO S series or an IBM Thinkpad T series.

I've tried the VIAO S460 and thought it was great.  The screen resolution and color is amazing.  The keyboard felt good.  My husband had a VIAO for his job several years back and really liked it.  BUT I've read reviews that mention a problem with a very noisy fan.  Any thoughts on this?

The Thinkpad sounds very solid but I haven't been able to find one in a store to try out.  Does anyone know what retailer might carry them?  I understand the screen isn't quite as nice as the VIAO but it is larger (14" vs. 13").  I'd really like to try one out before I make a decision.

I'm looking for a quality, very reliable, under 5lb computer with a screen between 13" and 15".  Would one be recommended over the other?  Is there something out there that's even better than one of these two?

Any help would be appreciated.
Georgetown University Law Center
Class of 2008

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2005, 06:21:08 PM »

The Thinkpad sounds very solid but I haven't been able to find one in a store to try out. Does anyone know what retailer might carry them? I understand the screen isn't quite as nice as the VIAO but it is larger (14" vs. 13"). I'd really like to try one out before I make a decision.

I had the same problem, and contacted Lenova about this.  Apparently no retain chains carry IBMs anymore, and you must purchase directly from the chain.  It is scary to drop $2,000+ never seeing the product.  After much indepedent research, and reading many of the discussions I am going with the IBM T43, and letting the reviews speak for themselves (even though I have never actually seen one).  I am looking to finalize the purchase this week.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2005, 06:24:14 PM »
so what do you guys think about laptops on sell at bestbuy/circuit city/compusa..etc?

do you get a better deal online? [i assume the retailers add hefty margins to the price].