Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Laptop for Law School?  (Read 29789 times)

Byronic Hero

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Best Laptop for Law School?
« on: February 01, 2005, 08:47:07 PM »
I'm shopping laptops right now and I'm interested in your opinions on what is the best laptop for law school.  Tell me the good and the bad.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ByronicHero

In:  Ohio State, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Capital, UNLV and Oklahoma.
Out: W&L
Waitlisted: IU-Bloomington, Utah, W&M
Pending:  Case Western

Tippy Farmbuckle

Re: Best Laptop for Law School?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:54:10 PM »
there are SOOOO many different laptops out there right now, it would be hard to even start to list suggestions.  give some specifics about what you want (ie desktop replacement, small and light, cheap, long battery life, etc) and hopefully we can point u in the right direction.

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 01:04:54 AM »
I want a super small, light, long battery life laptop.  Every magazine/online review I've looked at has recommended the IBM X40 series.  I haven't seen any review that compares it to the equivalent Sony Vaio.  How do those two compare?

I've only heard good things about the X40, so that's what I'm thinking right now...

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 01:12:15 AM »
I would normally tell people to get an apple without question, but law schools are not so friendly.

From everything that I have heard, I would go with an IBM T40/42 series, or an X series if you want a really small/thin laptop. IBM is said to have very good support (2nd only to apple ;)), build quality also very good. If size/battery power is not an issue (or $ is), I have heard good things about Toshibas.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 01:31:08 AM »
IBM is probably the best made, but also the most expensive.  if you are willing to sacrifice a little $ and get a slightly slower computer with less memory and a smaller hd, then do IBM, but if you want everything inside cheap plastic running off a crap battery, go brand ANYTHING ELSE.  sony might be a good compromise but they are slightly more "flimsy" IMO, only slightly less expensive than IBM.

Haz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 01:49:36 AM »
HP DV1040us.. thin, light, centrino, 14" widescreen HD monitor, DVD remote (hey, gotta have some fun too).  I know 4 people with this laptop and they are in love with it, as am I.  Check it out at www.cnet.com

However, it's too early to be shopping for laptops.. wait until the last moment to get your laptop (one month at most) so you can get the best prices as they will surely drop from now til then.
Hello Wisconsin!

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 03:04:20 PM »
IBM and Vaio's are both expensive laptops, although I have a Vaio (4 years old and about to be retired) and I loved it--never gave me any trouble.

I would check with your school's tech department.  They might give you recommendations or specific specs to make sure you have.  Also some university's are partnered with Computer manufacturers and so you could get a nice deal.  For example, I know GW is a Dell University and that they give incoming students specs.  On top of this, if your computer is a Dell and has those specs you can then go to tech support at the university for free!

madsensg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 05:32:51 PM »
I just bought an HP zd7000.  Its a monster with a 17 inch screen. I love it and think the specs make the size,weight, and cost worth it.  I bought it now because I figured the closer it gets to august the harder it will be for me to pay for one. 
3.5/161
Accepted: Utah!, ASU, Chicago-Kent, Tulane, Denver
Dings: None
Withdrawn: Colorado, Min, American, San Diego

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 06:06:42 PM »
i'll probably be doing an ibm x-series myself.  the only problem is the lack of an optical drive (cd-rom, cd-rw, dvd, dvd-rw, etc).. you need the docking station (either $175 or $275 i think, can't remember) or you need to buy yourself an external optical drive.
post-3L

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 06:07:11 PM »
yeah, what she said :)
post-3L