Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone heard from SUNY=BUFFALO  (Read 480 times)

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone heard from SUNY=BUFFALO
« on: February 01, 2005, 05:50:41 PM »

I applied in October and havent heard anything.  Any other applicants to Buffalo get word yet?

Good luck

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

WOMBAT

Re: Anyone heard from SUNY=BUFFALO
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:00:37 PM »
I received this email about a week ago:

Processing of your Fall 2005 University at Buffalo Law School
application is now complete.   The Admissions Committee will begin
reviewing files in late January.   It is our policy to give each
applicant a full, thorough review.  It is for this reason that the
review process can take up to 12 weeks and we will appreciate your
patience throughout this process.    The decision of the Committee
will be sent to you via US mail.  We cannot release decisions by
phone, e-mail or fax.  If you have any questions or concerns do not
hesitate to contact me at the telephone number or e-mail listed below.

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 07:16:17 PM »
Wombat,

That's amazing that they replied to you! I've sent then 2 emails over the past month or so, and nothing. It's pretty frustrating, but what can you do... especially me, as they're my first choice. But 12 weeks?! I pray it doesn't take that long with me.

Does anyone know anything about TAP with NY? I've been sent a link to do their paperwork (though I don't think they'll give me any love.... too much income this year) but I'm not sure of a deadline. It's kinda funny that UB says it may take 12 weeks but that could eclipse the TAP deadline and then according to their website, you're responsible for any difference in $ that you would have received from them. I hope that makes sense.

So to the OP, sorry, nothing heard here either... and Mail to Japan is going to take FOREVER!

Not to steal the thread or anything, but anyone have anything new they've heard from UB, or about UB?

Good Luck!

WOMBAT

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 08:52:38 PM »
Hey Oth, how ya been?

To be clear, the admissions office did not respond to anything. I haven't contacted any school that I have applied to. I just opened my email and there it was. I made a decision to stay out of the way and let ad-comms do their thing.

I applied to UB in November. I hadn't even taken the LSAT yet, so maybe my file was flagged somehow (my guess is that most people have one LSAT score on their apps).

Their site says that there are no additional preferences other than the ability to tell a good, truthful story.
I am a UB grad, a NY resident and one of my LOR's is from a UB Prof. Ultimately, I don't think any of this has to do with their quick response.

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:44:27 PM »

Hiya Wombat,

I'm a NY state resident too.  What's the winter like up there?  Winter doesnt scare me especially if I'm prepared and know how to handle things in advance.

I visited UB law last year but could only stay the day.  I loved what I saw of the school but didn't get the chance to check out the rest of the neighborhood.
I wonder how hard it would be to get a NYC job with a UB degree

The waiting is aggravating, especially in my case because I'm also trying to plan for surgery before Law school.

Good luck

Rachel
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

WOMBAT

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 11:39:07 PM »
Rachel, I was going to point you to another thread but I see you were already there. It's the one where we all debate whether or not Buffalo is cool, then some guys says "the bars are open until 4a.m.!" and then we all agree Buffalo is a great city.  ;D

The cold: Brace yourself. It can snow so much that you can't leave your house. It can be so cold that everything will freeze shut. The last two winters (especially January) in WNY have been brutal. Pipes bursting, gutters freezing up and tearing off, icicles that hang from the tops of three story buildings all the way to the ground are all common. I have to carry my dog to his favorite spots because he freezes up sometimes. I mean, it's friggin' cold. The good news is that winter only lasts about 6 months up here!!  :D

NYC jobs: Good prospects. UB has a good rep.
Look, NYC is really one city where anybody can accomplish anything. You just have to survive.
I know a few UB law grads that are doing fine in NYC. And by fine, I mean happy and making $100k +

NYBound05

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 12:11:45 AM »
Today I received the same complete email that Wombat did, and I applied in early January.

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 01:10:20 AM »

The cold: Brace yourself. It can snow so much that you can't leave your house.

If you can't leave the house, how do you get to class???????????

Thanks for the info on job placements. 

Rachel
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 01:26:06 AM »
Personally, I like their admissions calendar.  I really get the impression that it's not just a numbers game to them as they'll have a better perspective of what their entire applicant body is like later on.

I would imagine that they take longer to review the files than most schools.  Just think of all those book essays that they have to read!
Fed gov't atty

WOMBAT

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 07:33:28 AM »
How do you go to class?

You don't! You wait for the national guard to dig you out.
Seriously, I am exaggerating. It does happen but not that often.
This happened once when I was there for UG.

One thing that is true of UB's North Campus: when the wind whips
up and blows across that flat, open campus.... man, it's cold.

It's really not that often that there are snow emergencies. But it can happen.
It's not a big deal - the whole campus is well connected through interior walkways, what
isn't connected is well maintained.

Some people are unhappy with the governments of WNY. One thing they do extremely well
is deal with the snow.

I wouldn't let this deter you from attending UB.

Every region has it's season. Experiencing fall in WNY is amazing. I wouldn't worry too much about the winters.
They go by fast if you stay busy. Usually...  ;)