Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asian American Female  (Read 9153 times)

MJ

Re: Asian American Female
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2005, 10:12:36 PM »

Come here to Japan and call yourself 'Japanese' and see their reaction (a gaijin is just a gaijin- 2-sei or not).

I disagree.  I am a Japanese-American female from the deep South.  I live in Japan and the people refer to me as Japanese, not American.  I have to remind them that I am American.  Perhaps if you learned keigo you would have the same experience. 

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2005, 07:46:04 AM »
Ah..'MJ' wa kamen no 'JAPAN' desu ka?

Keigo- yoku shiteiru...Nihon ni mo jyu-nen de insundeiru (this ain't keigo, but I certainly know how to use it).

You're an exception for some reason, but here in small-town Japan (not a big city in Kyushu), you'd still be a gaijin...sorry to be direct, but grow a family and biz here in Japan- not just the few year JET-life thing, and you'll see the difference.  It's when you tell them that you're staying for the duration that everything changes...

Since you're Japanese-American you have some DNA priviledges here (unfortunately, that's how the Japanese see it), but on a long-term basis you're just a gaijin.  I hope that you see it in your time here- it would help to make the Japanese more aware of their growing discrimination against foreigners...

http://www.debito.org/roguesgallery.html

Oh, and how about the Zainichis (2-sei, 3-sei no kankoku-jin)- why aren't they being treated like Japanese?  Their 'keigo' is native unlike yours...

Sorry to slam- demo, wakai, ubu na JET no Americajin wo gaman dekinai (human rights is my second job in Japan)!

Geez

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 12:13:21 PM »
Does my status as an Asian American female help me, hurt me, or have no effect?

Law school admissions...no.  Law firm hiring...maybe.  I'd imagine that it could vary depending on what type of law you end up practicing. 
Fed gov't atty

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 02:12:40 PM »
law, such as??

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2005, 11:24:04 PM »
Island man is looking for an asian girl.
I think that it will be very nice to have an asian girl, go back to the island, and live in such paradise happily ever after.
Aim me for networking.lol
IN-: Indiana University-Indianapolis, Thomas M. Cooley
DEFFERED-: University of Tulsa,
OUT-: University of Akron, Drexel, University of Arkansas-Fayette...,U baltimore.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=haitian

jurrasic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2005, 12:13:52 PM »
I'm a Taiwanese. I just want to add my 2 cents about this "intolerant" issue.

The ethnicity diversity of most Asian countries (perhaps excluding singapore) are simply much more homogenous than America. 95% of Taiwanese are Han, for example. Therefore the identification of "Taiwanese" or "chinese" or "japanese" refers not only to an ethnicity or nationality, but also to a typical culture. This is very different from the definition of an "american." Having the DNA of these countries doesn't guarantee you a Taiwanese or Chinese or Japanese if you are not part of the culture.

In that sense geezer is correct of saying that Asian countries are less tolerant to oversea descendents than America. However I think America is more of an (welcomed) extreme in this respect than a standard.
Considering: BC, GWU, WUSTL($)
Still hope: Michigan, Penn

drmanyee999

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2005, 12:59:25 PM »
I'm 25% Chinese (it's about 50/50 whether or not people others think I'm Asian) and I grew up in England, I would definitely agree with all those that said America is much more tolerant. I find this to be the case not just with white people, but also asians of my age. In England, the white kids (Brits) hated me because I looked different etc, asians of my age thought I was an enigma and adult asians really didn't want to admit my existence. It's that reason which makes me scared to visit Asia.

freddych

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2005, 11:35:08 AM »
Go to China and call yourself 'Chinese' in Mandarin or Cantonese and see the reaction.

Come here to Japan and call yourself 'Japanese' and see their reaction (a gaijin is just a gaijin- 2-sei or not).

I once went to Ireland and called myself Irish..they gave me a hearty laugh and told me that they wished Americans would just call themselves what they really are- Americans!

I'm not Swiss, Irish or American Indian.  I'm proud of just being American.

If im in China/Taiwan and call myself American i get laughed at :(

sublimation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2005, 02:14:03 PM »
Can you at least tell us what kind of Asians?

I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but if you want to know what's considered URM and not at most schools, here is a partial list...

URM Asians
Most Southeast Asians

Non-URM Asians
Korean, Chinese, Japanese

i thought the general understanding even SE asians aren't considered URMs.  where did you get this information?   

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2006, 04:55:38 PM »
are you kidding?  american men LOVE asian women!

yummeee!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?