Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Yale Law School  (Read 62977 times)

tencigars

• View Profile
Re: The Yale Law School
« Reply #580 on: April 27, 2005, 08:31:46 PM »

..The only somewhat interesting tidbit in this discussion/flamewar, in my opinion, is tencigars's stated disillusionment upon figuring out that having a high GPA/LSAT does not imply that one is an interesting/admirable person.  So we could discuss that, if anybody wants to.  :)

I think your reading of tencigars's comment is a bit overliteral; I read it as implying the existence of a negative corellation rather than a zero corellation - an understandable remark in context, inasmuch as this thread opens with an insult.

I don't think he meant that there was actually a negative corellation -- did you, tencigars?  You (tencigars) have a high GPA and LSAT too ... So, when you reflect on that fact, do you think that your high GPA and LSAT have much to do with the things about you that you think make you interesting and/or admirable?  You don't have to be nice or humble or tactful to have a high GPA.  You don't have to have interesting ideas or life experiences to score well on the LSAT.  I don't know ... I just hadn't really considered the idea that there would be a correlation.

Yes, you are correct..I did not mean to imply a negative correlation.  I can, however, see how one might have read that into my post, given the context.

The seeming lack of such a correlation in law students was on my mind before I read Alci's post, and I'd welcome a discussion of it.

Unfortunately, my four month old daughter seems to be starting to fuss in the other room.  I will have to check back a bit later.  'Till then, can you think of anything to argue on the side of there being a positive correlation?  Perhaps something along the lines of many evils being unreasonable, e.g., racism, sexism, etc.?

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 27, 2005, 08:47:57 PM »

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 28, 2005, 08:17:27 AM »
^ :) Welcome to the board.  I like jokes.

Just found out I got the apt. at the Traymore and having deposit sent today! Yay! ;D It's huge, too - the living room is like 18x11; there's a real bathtub, hardwood floors, everything I wanted.  The parking across the street is $45/month too.  All you LSDers must come over sometime :)

Congrats, mobell!  Glad you got what you wanted  :)

Sonya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 28, 2005, 08:26:41 AM »
^ :) Welcome to the board.  I like jokes.

Just found out I got the apt. at the Traymore and having deposit sent today! Yay! ;D It's huge, too - the living room is like 18x11; there's a real bathtub, hardwood floors, everything I wanted.  The parking across the street is $45/month too.  All you LSDers must come over sometime :)

Oh good, now I can uncross my fingers.

squaremeal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #584 on: April 28, 2005, 09:35:19 AM »
There's a reason YLS rejects even people with 3.9+/175+.  There are a lot of smart lame-os out there.

:( ... if you thought I was lame you should have told me ... I knew "coolguy5" wasn't going to fool anyone

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 28, 2005, 09:43:24 AM »
There's a reason YLS rejects even people with 3.9+/175+.  There are a lot of smart lame-os out there.

:( ... if you thought I was lame you should have told me ... I knew "coolguy5" wasn't going to fool anyone

ROFL. ;D  (And this from one of the coolest future SLS 1Ls I met...)

maximumtennis82

« Reply #586 on: April 28, 2005, 10:33:04 AM »

ROFL. ;D  (And this from one of the coolest future SLS 1Ls I met...)

Congrats to mobell on the apt!  I'm sending in my lease stuff today for my 2br in the towers...

And, yes, squaremeal is quite possibly the coolest soon-to-be-1L at SLS...although if he had picked HLS it would have been much easier to organize dodgeball outings...

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 28, 2005, 10:42:42 AM »
Congrats, mobell!!!

tencigars

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 28, 2005, 12:03:26 PM »

..The only somewhat interesting tidbit in this discussion/flamewar, in my opinion, is tencigars's stated disillusionment upon figuring out that having a high GPA/LSAT does not imply that one is an interesting/admirable person.  So we could discuss that, if anybody wants to.  :)

..You (tencigars) have a high GPA and LSAT too ... So, when you reflect on that fact, do you think that your high GPA and LSAT have much to do with the things about you that you think make you interesting and/or admirable?  You don't have to be nice or humble or tactful to have a high GPA.  You don't have to have interesting ideas or life experiences to score well on the LSAT.  I don't know ... I just hadn't really considered the idea that there would be a correlation.

The seeming lack of such a correlation in law students was on my mind before I read Alci's post, and I'd welcome a discussion of it.
..Can you think of anything to argue on the side of there being a positive correlation?

Perhaps something along the lines of many evils being unreasonable, e.g., racism, sexism, etc.?

Racism is certainly unreasonable. The basis, a belief in the gross inferiority of another race, is fallaciously arrived at, as are racists' reasons for the treatment of members of other races, even if one assumed, arguendo, the accuracy of the first premise.

Sexism..similarly unreasonable.

Religious persecution..also very similarly unreasonable.  Come on!  Launching a crusade to kill men, women, and children..in the name of Christ?  A guy who historically taught against such actions.

So some great evils are based on and facilitated by very poor reasoning.

Here's a new thought..

Consider the effectiveness of cognitive therapy, which studies now show is at least as effective for depression and several other disorders as medication.  Cognitive therapy is basically the application of reason to a person's neurosis or psychosis.  E.g., helping him achieve a more healthy, balanced perspective on the subject(s) of their fears or sadness.

And cognitive therapy, which is relatively new, has been around for hundreds perhaps thousands of years in Asian cultures in other forms.  E.g., the Dalai Lama in his book The Art of Happiness says that most emotional problems (unhappiness) are, under Buddhist philosophy, due to "wrong-thinking."

Again, it would seem that poor reasoning, or the absence of application of reasoning, contributes to "evils."

And the evils that individuals suffer from are passed on and inflicted on others.  Studies have shown that those who cause pain and suffering to others, etc., often have profound psychological problems themselves.

Example: Stalin was miserable.  He suffered from extreme paranoia that led him to murder those around him, even friends and relatives (forgetting the other 40 million deaths attributed to him).

Example: A university study showed that people who were happy, coming out of a movie theater after seeing a comedy, etc., were much more likely to help others, stangers on the street who asked for assistance, than those who were unhappy.

tencigars

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 28, 2005, 12:26:34 PM »

..You (tencigars) have a high GPA and LSAT too ... So, when you reflect on that fact, do you think that your high GPA and LSAT have much to do with the things about you that you think make you interesting and/or admirable?  You don't have to be nice or humble or tactful to have a high GPA.  You don't have to have interesting ideas or life experiences to score well on the LSAT.  I don't know ... I just hadn't really considered the idea that there would be a correlation.

..Can you think of anything to argue on the side of there being a positive correlation?

Perhaps something along the lines of many evils being unreasonable, e.g., racism, sexism, etc.?

Racism is certainly unreasonable. The basis, a belief in the gross inferiority of another race, is fallaciously arrived at, as are racists' reasons for the treatment of members of other races, even if one assumed, arguendo, the accuracy of the first premise.

Sexism..similarly unreasonable.

Religious persecution..also very similarly unreasonable.  Come on!  Launching a crusade to kill men, women, and children..in the name of Christ?  A guy who historically taught against such actions.

So some great evils are based on and facilitated by very poor reasoning.

Here's a new thought..

Consider the effectiveness of cognitive therapy, which studies now show is at least as effective for depression and several other disorders as medication.  Cognitive therapy is basically the application of reason to a person's neurosis or psychosis.  E.g., helping him achieve a more healthy, balanced perspective on the subject(s) of their fears or sadness.

And cognitive therapy, which is relatively new, has been around for hundreds perhaps thousands of years in Asian cultures in other forms.  E.g., the Dalai Lama in his book The Art of Happiness says that most emotional problems (unhappiness) are, under Buddhist philosophy, due to "wrong-thinking."

Again, it would seem that poor reasoning, or the absence of application of reasoning, contributes to "evils."

And the evils that individuals suffer from are passed on and inflicted on others.  Studies have shown that those who cause pain and suffering to others, etc., often have profound psychological problems themselves.

Example: Stalin was miserable.  He suffered from extreme paranoia that led him to murder those around him, even friends and relatives (forgetting the other 40 million deaths attributed to him).

Example: A university study showed that people who were happy, coming out of a movie theater after seeing a comedy, etc., were much more likely to help others, stangers on the street who asked for assistance, than those who were unhappy.

Do you see where I am going with this, beano?

Jumping ahead a couple steps..

Intelligence, or its application in reasoning (science), has replaced religion as the light that dispells darkness.  The LSAT attempts to measure reasoning ability.  Law schools look for those they think may become brilliant legal reasoners.  In law school and out, reasoning will be our occupation, out stock in trade.

Combine that with the fact that as lawyers, legal professionals, we are supposed to "profess" a belief in justice and the equitable resolution of disputes.

Is there no grounds to expect a greater percentage of individuals with admirable character in law school than elsewhere?