Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Yale Law School  (Read 62082 times)

maximumtennis82

Re: Yale Law School
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2005, 02:51:17 PM »
I just don't know anymore.

Was originally gung-ho about Stanford.  Part of me still would love to go there.  But, Yale is Yale and could open a few more doors for me - the areas it does best in (academia/public interest) are the ones I'd love to go into.  And, I haven't verified this myself, but I've heard Yale's loan repayment program is notably better than Stanford's.

End result: I'm going to visit all the schools and hopefully one will just feel better than the others.  Odds at present are 6:3:1 Y:S:H.

If I go to Yale, I think I'd get a private apartment.  Living in dorms again doesn't sound all that appealing.  Although there was that post about the big house...if that ended up being for real, it could be fun...

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 03:00:37 PM »
The off-campus apartments are decently close. Depending on where you are, the walk is probably between ten and 30 minutes. The university runs shuttles year-round, so it's easy to get to and from school. The "Yale" part of New Haven is contiguous and relatively small, so you're never too far away, and you're always surrounded by other Yale people.

To be clear, the aforementioned discussion applies to "grad student ghetto," the area of New Haven between Whitney Avenue, State Street, East Rock, and Trumbull Street, and toWooster Square. If you wanted to be closer, there are great apartments between the med. school and the main campus and on the side of campus just past Pierson College. In these areas, you'll be surrounded by as many undergrads as grads (that's where most off-campus undergrads live), but you'll be within a block or two of campus and have easy access to downtown nightlife, etc. The dorms are fine, but New Haven's housing is nice and relatively cheap, so I would suggest checking out the off-campus opportunities. I couldn't possibly move back into dorms after one year off-campus during college and two years of life outside college. There's no way I'd give up my queen-size bed and kitchen.
179/3.97 (Top3)
Total payments to Yale, 1999-2008: >$250,000

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2005, 03:04:22 PM »
The off-campus apartments are decently close. Depending on where you are, the walk is probably between ten and 30 minutes. The university runs shuttles year-round, so it's easy to get to and from school. The "Yale" part of New Haven is contiguous and relatively small, so you're never too far away, and you're always surrounded by other Yale people.

To be clear, the aforementioned discussion applies to "grad student ghetto," the area of New Haven between Whitney Avenue, State Street, East Rock, and Trumbull Street, and toWooster Square. If you wanted to be closer, there are great apartments between the med. school and the main campus and on the side of campus just past Pierson College. In these areas, you'll be surrounded by as many undergrads as grads (that's where most off-campus undergrads live), but you'll be within a block or two of campus and have easy access to downtown nightlife, etc. The dorms are fine, but New Haven's housing is nice and relatively cheap, so I would suggest checking out the off-campus opportunities. I couldn't possibly move back into dorms after one year off-campus during college and two years of life outside college. There's no way I'd give up my queen-size bed and kitchen.

what puts you closest to Pepe's pizza?
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2005, 03:14:40 PM »
Wooster Square ... which is the Pepe's (and Sally's!) neighborhood. I think Pepe's is the best, but Modern, on State Street, is almost as good, and much easier to get into.
179/3.97 (Top3)

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 03:19:49 PM »
Wooster Square ... which is the Pepe's (and Sally's!) neighborhood. I think Pepe's is the best, but Modern, on State Street, is almost as good, and much easier to get into.

I think Sally's is my fav... never tried Modern.  I like how they treat you like crap tho. Service is sub-par.

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2005, 03:22:51 PM »
for many of them, the university owns the actual building but a private management company (off-broadway properties) sets the rent and deals with everything.
179/3.97 (Top3)

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2005, 03:23:35 PM »

I'm a Sally's loyalist!!!  Much better than Pepe's...  But, yes, Modern is good, too, and you don't have to wait in a line out the door like at Sally's.  Bar (a bar in New Haven) has pizza made from the same recipe as Sally's (they stole it).
UVa it is!

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2005, 03:26:07 PM »

I'm a Sally's loyalist!!!  Much better than Pepe's...  But, yes, Modern is good, too, and you don't have to wait in a line out the door like at Sally's.  Bar (a bar in New Haven) has pizza made from the same recipe as Sally's (they stole it).

REALLY!!!
I did not know that.
I should have gone out more in New Haven in High School.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2005, 03:27:56 PM »
Do you know anything about New Haven Towers? The binder mentions it as a place where lots of law students live.

verbtima

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2005, 03:32:48 PM »
new haven towers is about a 5-10 minute walk from the law school (really three LOOONG blocks).  it's pretty nice and there are lots of graduate students living there.  there's a walgreens that's nearby, as well as chapel street, which is the street that houses most of the decent restaurants (within walking distance, there's wooster square for "little italy" if you like italian).