Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Yale Law School  (Read 62072 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
The Yale Law School
« on: January 31, 2005, 10:58:12 PM »
Disclaimer: This thread is meant to facilitate positive discussions among those who have been admitted to YLS.  If you want to trash Yale, please do so on the Harvard thread  ;).

-----------------

Now that a number of us have gotten into Yale, I think it's about time we have our own thread.  So where is everyone leaning at this point?  I am definitely leaning towards YLS, but will also visit and give full consideration to H and S.  Is everyone going to the admit weekend in April?

Some interesting/amusing threads and articles I've come across regarding The Law School:

Perhaps the most informative I've come across: http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=117818&mc=48&forum_id=2#top

Not as good as the "Why Yale" thread, but some decent info: http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=121148&mc=42&forum_id=2

Articles about the admissions process (makes you feel good to know that the Dean of Admissions and/or the YLS faculty found you special/interesting enough to admit you):

http://yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=1547
http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=24583

An amusing article from the HLS Record: http://www.hlrecord.org/news/2004/10/07/Opinion/Undue.Diligence.Yaliens-748297.shtml

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Yale Law School
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 11:10:05 PM »
at this point, it's def yale for me.  if i get into H or S, there'll be an actual decision to be made, but even then, it'll still probably be yale.  too much of a dream come true not to accept their offer.

i'll be back to read your links later (off to celebratory dinner #4), but i'll add this one about new haven:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/b9522/

i will be there in april.  :)  i want to go sooner too; i'm kind of curious about the snow and very anxious to see yale/NH.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 11:19:36 PM »
i will be there in april.  :)  i want to go sooner too; i'm kind of curious about the snow and very anxious to see yale/NH.

Yeah, I'm also curious to see YLS in the middle of winter (and in general).  Due to time considerations, however, I'm going to have to settle for the admit weekend in early spring...which will probably still be cold by my Southern standards  ;).  I think it is wise of YLS to have its admit weekend last...they will have time to reindoctrinate people after the S and H wooing :D.

Has anyone posted on the admitted students discussion board?  I think I recognized maximumtennis...

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 11:39:28 PM »
Disclaimer: If hearing other people talk about Yale makes you feel inadequate ::), please look away.

After a week long hiatus, I'm on for no more than two minutes before I see a post which begs a response.

Alcibiades. Like I told you in another note: Don't let your Yale admission go to your head. There are dozens of applicants, who had better LSATs, better GPAs and possibly more potential than you, who did not get into Yale. Its OK to be proud of your admission, to a point, but you shouldn't rub it in other people's faces. Its a great opportunity, but its not a meaningful accomplishment.

I'll leave you with a thought, which should scare you straight:

Lots of Yale Law Grads don't achieve in the real world. Such people are pathetic and deservingly ridiculed. Its a terrible thing. Only one thing is worst. A URM Yale Law grad who doesn't achieve. The prior was a disgraceful loser who squandered a golden opportunity. The latter was much worst. The latter was someone who validated every racist in the country. The latter could be you if you're not careful.

Pride before the fall my friend.

P.S. Note Pookie's modest and classy characterization of her Yale admit "how the hell did i pull this one off?"
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 11:46:07 PM »
GoodAd,

I don't have many confrontations with LSDers... but I have to come out and say this.

I understand your hiatus and respect "some" of what you've been trying to do, sticking to the functional purpose of the forum rather than the social.  but please for the love of whomever.  change your screen name so it doesn't screw up every page I'm trying to look at.

thanks
:-*
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 11:47:24 PM »
Blah blah blah, yet another one.  This is the type of post that I was trying to avoid with the disclaimer.  I was not trying to rub anything in anyone's face.  I just know that the topic of Yale is very sensitive to many people, especially those hoping to be admitted in the current application cycle.  By providing the disclaimer, I merely wished to let people know from the beginning that the thread would be about Yale.  Far too often, those admitted to YHS have to keep their mouths shut out of consideration for those who have not heard a decision, who did not get in, or who have no chance of getting in.  This thread should be a place where we don't have to do that.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 11:49:42 PM »
Alci,
I believe I say for most people that we are happy for you few.  And are likewise happy you have this mediium available for you to have conversations before admit days.

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 11:53:09 PM »
GoodAd,

I don't have many confrontations with LSDers... but I have to come out and say this.

I understand your hiatus and respect "some" of what you've been trying to do, sticking to the functional purpose of the forum rather than the social.  but please for the love of whomever.  change your screen name so it doesn't screw up every page I'm trying to look at.

thanks

Alright.

I'm going back on hiatus though. I'll probably read and post one day per week, on Monday nights. Maybe every other Monday night.
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 11:53:47 PM »
What's wrong with Alci being proud of his Yale acceptance? Man some people act so tard these day. Trust me, if I get into Yale, I'm going to celebrate big time because it took a lot of hard work to get there. Just because Ali is an URM doesn't mean he has to hold his head down and be humble. Slavery is over people. Man screw that! People need to chill out and let the man enjoy his acceptance without being ridiculed.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 11:55:33 PM »
GoodAd,

thanks

Alright.

I'm going back on hiatus though. I'll probably read and post one day per week, on Monday nights. Maybe every other Monday night.

thanks.
the name change was enough for me :)
you can stay
I love everyone... maybe it's the drugs?