Law School Discussion

anyone have an HP laptop?

onepoint

• three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
Re: anyone have an HP laptop?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2005, 01:49:56 PM »
i had to edit that post, i didn't realize the x series doesn't include an optical drive.  that could be a hassle some people don't want to deal with.  either way, those machines are tough.

naomi288

• soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 03:55:59 PM »
thanks everyone!

1. i really want an iBook, but you can't take exams on them

2. i know that IBMs are really good, but i don't have $3000 to spend on a really good one (since my parents are buying me the computer as a graduation present, and they already want me to buy the $699 special)

3. this one does have the M processor or whatever, it is marketed for "computing on the go" comes installed with wireless connection

4. i wouldn't use the computer for anything more than running WORD, AIM, web surfing, and running programs for law school, examsoft, and what not
I don't play games on my computer...uness you count family feud...lol...

so do u think this is a good deal?

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2005, 04:00:54 PM »
thanks everyone!

1. i really want an iBook, but you can't take exams on them

2. i know that IBMs are really good, but i don't have $3000 to spend on a really good one (since my parents are buying me the computer as a graduation present, and they already want me to buy the $699 special)

3. this one does have the M processor or whatever, it is marketed for "computing on the go" comes installed with wireless connection

4. i wouldn't use the computer for anything more than running WORD, AIM, web surfing, and running programs for law school, examsoft, and what not
I don't play games on my computer...uness you count family feud...lol...

so do u think this is a good deal?

Hit us with a link?  Just make sure you have 512 MB of RAM.  What brand?

naomi288

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2005, 04:03:55 PM »
same link as on page 1 of this thread... :)

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 04:07:06 PM »
same link as on page 1 of this thread... :)

doh! :) hehe, oops.  The specs are fine for whaty ou want to do--just depends on if you're comfortable going w/ HP.

naomi288

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2005, 04:11:21 PM »
i have yet to really hear anything bad about them, i asked the computer people at my school, they told me to get a DELL, but when i asked them why its better than a HP they said they didn't know anything about HPs so....i have an HP dektop, works well, only thing is spyware...but thats bc my mom doesn't keep up with it...well see.....@#!* it...maybe i'll just get an iBook, and hand write exams!

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2005, 04:14:36 PM »
i have yet to really hear anything bad about them, i asked the computer people at my school, they told me to get a DELL, but when i asked them why its better than a HP they said they didn't know anything about HPs so....i have an HP dektop, works well, only thing is spyware...but thats bc my mom doesn't keep up with it...well see.....#@!* it...maybe i'll just get an iBook, and hand write exams!

Did you read the thread earlier?  I posted some rankings from PC World as a reference.  HP wouldn't be a bad choice, per se, but I would stick to IBM/Dell/Sony if it were me.

naomi288

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2005, 04:17:24 PM »
yea, like i said before to get a good IBM it would be more money, i have not heard good things about sony, and hear u have to pay more just for the name....the only other competitor is dell, i'm just not sure about the tech support...mailing my computer if something goes wrong

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2005, 04:19:38 PM »
yea, like i said before to get a good IBM it would be more money, i have not heard good things about sony, and hear u have to pay more just for the name....the only other competitor is dell, i'm just not sure about the tech support...mailing my computer if something goes wrong

Ahh, but that's the beauty.  Did you read my post about getting the service plan where they come to your door in 24ish hours w/ parts in hand, fix things on site, and take off?  I've had it for four years and loved it.  Never sent a system back, ever.

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2005, 04:35:59 PM »
FWIW, I have a Toshiba Satellite and love it.  Not a day of trouble.

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend.  Don't believe the hype in the service warranties from big box stores.  I've heard they suck big time.  They stonewall you and never do what they promised in the store bought warranty.

I did buy a Best Buy store warranty, and have never had to use it.  I bought it for peace of mind.  I've heard through the grapevine that they do all they can to avoid replacing or fixing your laptop.