Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To BigTex  (Read 11076 times)

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
Re: To BigTex
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2005, 03:45:29 PM »
I do not get upset about statements regarding my lack of fitness to attend Boalt.  Obviously, the admissions committee though otherwise, and at the end of the day, that's the only opinion that matters.

What I AM bothered by is someone who, for whatever reason and no matter how allegedly noble, would go on a message board and inquire about my grades.  In case you were not aware, grades are a private matter and if you were particularly interested in mine, it would seem appropriate to ask me, rather than putting me on blast in front of the Boalt-bashers on xoxo.com.

Vent off.

It seemed like the "Anyone know about her grades?" was a rhetorical question.  Don't you think you're being a bit touchy Ruskie?

twarga

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2005, 03:51:55 PM »
Let's see how much you understand... women that is.  When you see your wife tonight, just ask her if she was hurt by your comment.  Just because she didn't say anything at the time doesn't mean she didn't internalize what you said.  All women want to feel desirable.  Even Mrs. Tex.  She may not have said anything at the time because she felt you were justified in saying that she was fat and ugly, because she knew she'd let herself go.  However, it was a shot to the self-esteem nonetheless.  

My ex-husband (note the "ex" part) used to call me a little pink freckled pig, because I get freckly and sunburned in the summer.  I was not fat, but just him calling me a pig really ate away at me.  His little "term of endearment" stuck with me and really bothered me, even though I didn't say a word about it at the time.

Ask her, you'll see.  Words hurt.  

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »
this assumes all women are monolithic in this aspect.  you're stating this as though you are 100% certain of that as well.  maybe you do believe this, i'm just pointing out that these are assumptions within this post.

Let's see how much you understand... women that is.  When you see your wife tonight, just ask her if she was hurt by your comment.  Just because she didn't say anything at the time doesn't mean she didn't internalize what you said.  All women want to feel desirable.  Even Mrs. Tex.  She may not have said anything at the time because she felt you were justified in saying that she was fat and ugly, because she knew she'd let herself go.  However, it was a shot to the self-esteem nonetheless.  

My ex-husband (note the "ex" part) used to call me a little pink freckled pig, because I get freckly and sunburned in the summer.  I was not fat, but just him calling me a pig really ate away at me.  His little "term of endearment" stuck with me and really bothered me, even though I didn't say a word about it at the time.

Ask her, you'll see.  Words hurt.  

BigTex

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2005, 04:29:26 PM »
Ask her, you'll see.   

The fact that you think i haven't asked just further demonstrates your lack of knowledge of my relationship w/ my wife.

I've asked. She's answered. You are wrong.

She loves that anecdotal story about us, but she likes to keep it private between us b/c she knows so many other women react like you do and attempt to make her feel bad for the fact that she has no problem w/ it.

bradzwest

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2005, 04:41:41 PM »
You guys better be careful...might get this thread split  ;D!

dr_draino

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2005, 05:08:49 PM »
That would require there to have been a useful component somewhere here-in.

bradzwest

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2005, 06:46:09 PM »
That would require there to have been a useful component somewhere here-in.

excellent point!

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2005, 06:48:55 PM »
As a general rule of thumb I think it could safely be said that when one spouse prefers to keep something private, and the other blabs it to the world via the internet, that action is considered to be demonstrative of disrespect toward the spouse, at least. Very rude.

BigTex

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2005, 07:05:38 PM »
As a general rule of thumb I think it could safely be said that when one spouse prefers to keep something private, and the other blabs it to the world via the internet, that action is considered to be demonstrative of disrespect toward the spouse, at least. Very rude.

#1 - This is an anonymous board.

#2 - I asked my wife if it was OK to post the anecdote on this board before doing so.

hth

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »
I'm with ya tex on both the Ruskie thing and your wife