Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To BigTex  (Read 10526 times)

BigTex

Re: To BigTex
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2005, 01:56:24 PM »
I still think he actually meant the three statements I posted above- he was either incapable or unwilling to say them at that point, so he said what he said.

For a guy who can write very creatively about his experiences as a teacher in a difficult situation in high school, you seem amazingly incapable of imagining a world different from your own, a world in which two people are truly best buddies as well as husband and wife.

Watch and listen to two guys who are best friends. They will say what i have said, and worse, and no one will question their relationship. But lift the covers and discover that these two best buddies also happen to be husband and wife, then all hell breaks loose and everyone is suddenly a pop psychologist.

This thread is productive insofar as it demonstrates who does, and who doesn't, graft the rules governing their own relationships onto everyone else and expect the entire world of husbands and wives to adhere to their own limited abilities in forging relationships of multi-level depth.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2005, 01:59:50 PM »
Okay, now that I think about it, "corpulent" probably wouldn't be the best word to use.

yea, i think it translates to 'fat slob'... at least there was no onomatopoeia involved.  ;)

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2005, 02:01:59 PM »
I have best friends- I don't insult them, even by teasing.

In my experience, people who are immature tease because they are incapable of expressing their feelings.

Guys tease each other because they are mostly incapable of hugging each other and saying "thanks for listening".  

It's the same reason guys in elementary school punch girls they like on the arm- they're incapable of saying how they really feel.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2005, 02:05:24 PM »
Also, my wife and I are "best friends" and we don't spend time teasing each other... instead, we spend time talking and listening and sharing our experiences.

Secondly, I agree that you meant nothing negative by the comment you made to your wife.  However, you could have said it in a way that she would have appreciated more.

Statement 1:  You're fat.

Statement 2:  I like your body MUCH more than the gross sticks that parade around on MTV.

If your wife really would rather hear Statement #1, then there's a problem.  My point is that you meant roughly the same thing with both statements- so why not use the better one?

BigTex

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2005, 02:06:50 PM »

Well bully for you.

In my experience, people who are immature tease because they are incapable of expressing their feelings.

I'll make sure to let all my Mex-Am relatives know that next time they rib me about stuffing my face full of tamales at christmas time.

Guys tease each other because they are mostly incapable of hugging each other and saying "thanks for listening". 

Again, your inability to develop "multi-level" relationships. I do both w/ my close guy friends.

Congratulations on demonstrating your ability to forge only linear, one-dimensional relationships.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2005, 02:08:36 PM »
I'd rather live in a one-story house that is solidly built than a mansion full of creaky floors and broken windows.

BigTex

« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2005, 02:09:15 PM »
Also, my wife and I are "best friends" and we don't spend time teasing each other... instead, we spend time talking and listening and sharing our experiences.

Again, further proof of your linear, one-dimensional relationship abilities. You cannot imagine a relationship in which both occur. You view these as mutually exclusive qualities. You are wrong.

BigTex

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2005, 02:10:09 PM »
I'd rather live in a one-story house that is solidly built than a mansion full of creaky floors and broken windows.

Fantastic. You've skipped off into meaningless metaphor land.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2005, 02:10:32 PM »
Okay, now that I think about it, "corpulent" probably wouldn't be the best word to use.

yea, i think it translates to 'fat slob'... at least there was no onomatopoeia involved.  ;)

Fleshy is not much better. I'm a bit fat, but I wouldn't consider myself fleshy. That just sounds gross.

It's the same reason guys in elementary school punch girls they like on the arm- they're incapable of saying how they really feel.

You could say the same thing about people who can't take a little teasing. The fact is we're all diffrent and we all view things diffrently. In relationships we get to know the other person and how they like to be treated. Each relationship is diffrent and with a few expections is wholly defined by itself. If the participants are happy, then thats good enough for me.

By the way don't you think it's a bit odd to tell a women you have never met what statement she would prefer to hear.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2005, 02:10:58 PM »

Fantastic. You've skipped off into meaningless metaphor land.

:D :D :D