Law School Discussion

what's the theory on cheap(er) vs. good?

what's the theory on cheap(er) vs. good?
« on: January 31, 2005, 08:02:11 PM »
Hey all - another obsessing hopeful here. I am wondering what you all think of going to a cheaper, although less notorious school, or a better, more prestigious school. Of course, money must be a factor in this decision....I am married and we are basically rippiing our life up by the roots to do this....

Any thoughts? Any people in a similar boat? We have undergrad/grad debt, own a home, etc....

Help!

F05HOPEFUL

Re: what's the theory on cheap(er) vs. good?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 08:05:19 PM »
I feel your pain

I am obviously TTT material strictly, but I have a shot at some private schools.  However, I am seriously considering waiting a few years, retaking the LSAT, and re-applying to state schools simply to save money at the expense of lost youth.

$$--woes

Who wants $150k debt, especially if you want to avoid BIGLAW

kristay

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 08:05:52 PM »
I think it depends on what kind of "less notorious school" and "more prestigious school" we're talking about.  I mean, is this a decision between say, UChicago vs. Case Western or a decision between something like American vs. Catholic?

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 08:07:38 PM »
It also depends on how competitive the work you're trying to get is.  Do you want to chase a paycheck in biglaw?  Do you want to be a public defender?  Do you want to go solo?  Do you want to clerk for SCOTUS?

Prestige may or may not be worth the price tag for you, depending on what you want to do... for those of you who are lucky enough to actually know what it is that you want to do. :D

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 08:09:35 PM »
well, I've only gotten one acceptance so far (Montana), so this is pretty theoretical. Its between Montana and some private schools in Washington and Oregon (if I get in). I do want to avoid "biglaw," but am wondering if the "better" school (one a bit more prestigious and one that offers more bleeding heart liberal courses) is worth any extra cash. These are the things that keep me up at nite...

Any thoughts on what others are doing - moving, borrowing, etc - I'd sure appreciate.

Thanks

kristay

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 08:10:30 PM »
Another thing to take into account is where do you want to practice law?

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 08:10:36 PM »
And I eventually want to hang out my own shingle, make *some* money, and also do pro bono public interest work....

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 08:11:28 PM »
somewhere in the west - Montana, oregon, washington...

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »
Can you get in-state tuition at any of the public schools in those states?

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 08:14:32 PM »
I can get in state at Montana....it's like $8,000 a year!