Law School Discussion

BU v BC v GW

nubova

• View Profile
BU v BC v GW
« on: January 31, 2005, 03:15:44 PM »
Hey guys,
   165 with a 3.6. I got into BC BU and GWU, but not sure which to go to> I saw BC fell in the rankings pretty far. Anyone have any insight as to which I should choose. Which would you choose and why? I could use the advice.

kterrious

Re: BU v BC v GW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 05:49:02 PM »
From what I've heard, BU has the better rep hands down.  The catch, however, is that BU is supposed to be a s--t hole as far as the facilities and it's also supposed to be really competitive. 
  BC, on the other hand, has a beautiful campus and supposedly a much friendlier atmosphere (one book I haver refers to BC as the "disneyworld" of law schools).  Of course, all of this is relative and I hope you'll invest in a trip to Boston to research for yourself.
   Many will disagree, but I think  that GW simply lacks the name recognition factor that both BC and BU possess in the northeast job market, period. E.G:  my father is in charge of hiring for a big investment firm on wall street, and he said he never even heard of GW law when I asked him. Now clearly, he's old, but he's probably at least somewhat representative of the older people at the NY firms who would be doing the hiring)

'lit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 06:09:19 PM »
where do you want to practice? many people feel that BC has a better reputation/connections for boston (and the nicer campus part is true), while BU might have a better rep elsewhere and more renowned faculty. GW has some other cool things going for it. the truth is that at that level, i.e. the USNWR 20s and 30s (forgive me if all 3 of those are in the 20s), every school is superclose and they hop around so much b/c one millionth of one point difference in yield or recruiters or whatever causes a big jump. schools do bank on that and play some tricks when they crunch their numbers too. you'll never really get a definitive answer on whether BU or BC is "better," just a lot of opinions, so you might visit and go with what you feel.

Trel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 06:25:25 PM »
I'm in a similar situation, also throw emory/vanderbilt into the mix, and kinda confused cause I don't know where I want to end up.  I'm thinking it's going to depend on where I want to live and since I haven't spent time in boston/dc/atlanta, it's not easy.  I'm planning to visit all the schools over the next month or so and deciding then.

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 07:25:28 PM »
The BU campus does blow.  The people I talked to when I visited seemed to be reasonably happy...they weren't crazy psyched, but not upset or anything...didn't sound too competitive really.  Both classes I sat in on had great teachers.  I REALLY didn't like the campus though.  I'd say for the BC/BU decision, take a visit and consider opportunities of what you can do while you're there.  I really doubt either one will have a big advantage over the other in terms of portability...both seem to have equal numbers of non-Boston firms that interview on-campus, which I think is a pretty good sign for that.  I'd be surprised if anyone in the area of law were not familiar with GW...pretty much anywhere in the country.  That decision will be more of one of location.

NYKnicks

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 08:47:19 PM »
Probably will come down to location. If you like the northeast, stick with BU or BC. I'd probably go with BU, but thats only cause BC rejected me already. IF you're looking mid-atlantic, go with GW.

edit: if i were lucky enough to have those kind of choices, I'd pick GW.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 08:53:29 PM »
does BC and BU have really that much of an edge nationally?  According to NALP, BC and BU both have around 250 major firms/orgs interviewing there while GW has around 450  :-\

dr_draino

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 08:56:24 PM »
Depends on what part of the nation.  Also, keep in mind that GW has a much bigger class than BC or BU, so while they have more firms on campus...there are more students competing for positions with them.

does BC and BU have really that much of an edge nationally?  According to NALP, BC and BU both have around 250 major firms/orgs interviewing there while GW has around 450  :-\

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 09:00:41 PM »
I got scared away from BC and BU by the surveys on vault.com...

I really suggest that you buy the vault law school buzz book.

I have the BU and GW surveys archived if you want them, but you will need firefox and the MAF plugin to view them.

Email me if you want them: jurisdebt@gmail.com

dr_draino

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 09:02:22 PM »
How 'bout giving an overview of what scared you away?

I got scared away from BC and BU by the surveys on vault.com...

I really suggest that you buy the vault law school buzz book.

I have the BU and GW surveys archived if you want them, but you will need firefox and the MAF plugin to view them.

Email me if you want them: jurisdebt@gmail.com